PDA

View Full Version : Window keep falling off track, found part but parts dept at BMW is no help ???

Boost Infection
10-31-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a problem with my rear windows on my 1992 E34 touring. They keep falling off the track but I found the problem. The problem is a small plastic wheel that has broke.I tried to get this part but bmw says I have to buy the whole window mechanical set-up. The part looks like it would cost 10 cents. Hell no this cant be I need help finding this part or cant I get a wheel from another car.
Here are some pics.This is the inside of the door. The wheel snaps on the end of the metal piece then it runs on the guide
http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/touring%20%20pics%20009.jpg
http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/touring%20%20pics%20008.jpg
http://bimmerboard.com/members/impression/original/touring%20%20pics%20012.jpg
Please help anyone, Paging Shogun :)

zygoteer
10-31-2005, 12:44 PM
What a pity you chose not to be helpful and complete your public profile with your car/model detail .. or even write it in this request for help

Boost Infection
10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry about that I was rushing just to post for help. I did editing

632 Regal
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I believe they are right, I looked up all the slider pieces but didnt see the round one in there at all, I think IIRC you can use the rectangular slider in its place.

genphreak
10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
I believe they are right, I looked up all the slider pieces but didnt see the round one in there at all, I think IIRC you can use the rectangular slider in its place.I've never seen that part before but on other vehicles it is usually pressed/tack welded into place, necessitating the mechanism replacement. Did you find the wheel that 'snapped off' in the bottom of the door? Perhaps it cracked/wore off the pressed lug, (If I'm right). If it did, the mecho might be bent (has the boor been bent/damaged before) as they tend to last a long time in our cars...

632 Regal
10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
looks like it pops off just like the sliders.

Kalevera
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
I've done a lot of these in the past few months. The entire regulator needs to be replaced. Evidently, it's a shitty design.

I'm assuming the following is happening: as you're driving along with the window ~ 1/2 open, it slides back and forth, dropping it out of the track. This action may also be inherent in the window closing/opening due to the play in the mechanism. Get it fixed soon, else you'll need to replace the rubber gasket that encases the outer glass and frame of the door, and that's not a fun or easy job.

Be very careful when replacing the regulator. The clips and retainers that facilitate movement between the metal arms and the glass need to be correctly snapped into place, else the window will jump out of the track again. I have a picture of one correctly installed, somewhere around here.

best, whit

genphreak
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
I've done a lot of these in the past few months. The entire regulator needs to be replaced. Evidently, it's a shitty design.

I'm assuming the following is happening: as you're driving along with the window ~ 1/2 open, it slides back and forth, dropping it out of the track. This action may also be inherent in the window closing/opening due to the play in the mechanism. Get it fixed soon, else you'll need to replace the rubber gasket that encases the outer glass and frame of the door, and that's not a fun or easy job.

Be very careful when replacing the regulator. The clips and retainers that facilitate movement between the metal arms and the glass need to be correctly snapped into place, else the window will jump out of the track again. I have a picture of one correctly installed, somewhere around here. best, whitThanks Whit... there's some guy on eBay selling the regulator clips... but I remmeber looking them up once and they seemed to be a normal BMW part... evidently its a matter of doing the whole damn reg. (I feel for ya, doors are the worst part about working on cars... evgen in a BMW they use crumby pressed parts like this) Nick

Boost Infection
10-31-2005, 06:32 PM
I've never seen that part before but on other vehicles it is usually pressed/tack welded into place, necessitating the mechanism replacement. Did you find the wheel that 'snapped off' in the bottom of the door? Perhaps it cracked/wore off the pressed lug, (If I'm right). If it did, the mecho might be bent (has the boor been bent/damaged before) as they tend to last a long time in our cars...

Yes I did find the plastic piece and it sucks that I have to buy the whole regulater part for a part that cost less than 25 cents

Boost Infection
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for you help. I am going to try and rig something up

Kalevera
10-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Oh, the regulator clips are replaceable and sold as a single piece by the dealer. I've done those, but it's a different thing entirely from what our buddy boost is attempting. The plastic bit he's trying to replace is considered part of the regulator itself.

A used regulator might also do the trick; it seems some play is inevitable. Too much is problematic, as is the present "broken" case.

best, whit

genphreak
10-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for you help. I am going to try and rig something upNo worries Boost, you can see how useful it is to everyone that we share this kinda stuff, especially with peeps like Whit (and many others) around to clarify things... thanks for bringing your issue 'to the fore' for us...

wolfpack
02-05-2006, 02:33 PM

Be very careful when replacing the regulator. The clips and retainers that facilitate movement between the metal arms and the glass need to be correctly snapped into place, else the window will jump out of the track again. I have a picture of one correctly installed, somewhere around here.

best, whit

Looks like I've got a similar (if not identical) problem. The small, plastic ring that should be on the end of the small arm is cracked. Thus, the arm pops out and the window gets jammed. It seems like the root cause of this is the fact that the window motor doesn't know when to stop. When cranking UP, it just keeps going and puts tremendous force on the regulator. What is supposed to signal the motor to stop?

wolf

Kalevera
02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
The position switch is visible in the first picture, directly above the lift motor, mounted to the regulator frame.

The plastic slider has a metal clip that retains the regulator arm; the arm will pop out if its ball jointed end isn't fully seated in the slider and the clip isn't on all the way. Get the other problem solved first, though. It'll just keep breaking the sliders until it is.

best, whit

wolfpack
02-05-2006, 03:03 PM
The position switch is visible in the first picture, directly above the lift motor, mounted to the regulator frame.

The plastic slider has a metal clip that retains the regulator arm; the arm will pop out if its ball jointed end isn't fully seated in the slider and the clip isn't on all the way. Get the other problem solved first, though. It'll just keep breaking the sliders until it is.

best, whit

I don't suppose you can get just the switch by itself, can you? I can't tell from the diagrams at realoem.

wolfpack
02-05-2006, 03:28 PM

best, whit

Actually, I just tested the position switch and it seems OK. I get +12V on the yellow/green wire when I manually close the switch contact. This little switch can't be carrying that much current, I wouldn't think. Puzzling...

mcdtus
02-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I found the same problem in my LR door. BMW's response - can't buy the wheel alone, must buy entire regulator for $98 - was a surprise. I went to hardware store and found plastic wheel I thought I could make work, but I couldn't. Ended up searching ebay and found someone who sold me the regulator for $38 plus shipping. Sometimes you have to wait a while for one to be offered for sale. Search E34 regulator.

Paul in NZ
02-05-2006, 05:25 PM
what size is that wheel?Some hardware/building supply merchants may sell parts for sliding door gear which use variuos sizes of nylon wheels

wolfpack
02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I found the same problem in my LR door. BMW's response - can't buy the wheel alone, must buy entire regulator for $98 - was a surprise. I went to hardware store and found plastic wheel I thought I could make work, but I couldn't. Ended up searching ebay and found someone who sold me the regulator for $38 plus shipping. Sometimes you have to wait a while for one to be offered for sale. Search E34 regulator.

Got an aftermarket regulator w/ motor on ebay for $54. Put it in yesterday and it works OK. Not OEM part but does it really matter for a window regulator? I'm happy with it. I still have the old busted regulator with the motor attached. If someone wants the motor, contact me, I will sell it. The motor seems like it's working fine. I did have to cut the connector off to attach to the new motor (plenty of wire left).

bbig119
06-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Sorry to awaken an old thread, but I have a question pertaining to the wheel that some of you have posted about here. I'm in the process of installing a new window, the old one shattered last week but before then had some track problems that I'm not forced to address now. I bought new sliders and they're a pain in the ass to get the retaining clips on. Even then, the window arms keep popping out, and I'm wondering if the wheel on the guide track for the regulator might be broken.

I'm not sure where this wheel goes, but when I was poking around, the rail that's parallel to the ground serves as a guide for an arm connected to the regulator, as seen in the first picture on the thread. It seems there is a knob on this arm that fits in the rail, but its kinda loose. Is this knob supposed to be fixed tightly to the wheel in question which would then roll along the rail? Could this be why the slider clips won't stay in at all?

Thanks, Bryan