PDA

View Full Version : How I fix a loose shift lever- auto 95 525i?

Russell
03-05-2004, 02:37 PM
My shift lever(automatic) seems to have some play. Even so it does not rattle. The entire shaft feels a bit loose. The handle is NOT loose.

Is there any way to tighten it up a bit? Even so, It may be obvious after I take the surround panel off around the shift area.

KurtM
03-05-2004, 05:03 PM
to tighten linkage. It is around the same area that shows how to remove surrond panel. If I remember you need to crawl under car, loosen the nut, adjust and retighten.

Kurt
95 525ia

Russell
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
I forgot to even check my Bentley. I may be able to adjsut the slack from the interior end of the cable. Not sure though.

to tighten linkage. It is around the same area that shows how to remove surrond panel. If I remember you need to crawl under car, loosen the nut, adjust and retighten.

Kurt
95 525ia

Victor
10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
It's interesting that you're approaching the issue from another angle than I am. Is it the handle action (as I'm addressing) or the linkage?

I would have imagined that the linkage would be the issue if it wasn't making it into gear in a given position. When you say "loose feeling" do you mean it slops forward and back while in D or other positions?

You might want to see my thread too: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series-bmw/43721-auto-trans-shift-lever-feel-how-renew.html

Keep in touch and good luck!

Vic

Russell
10-24-2011, 11:45 AM
It's interesting that you're approaching the issue from another angle than I am. Is it the handle action (as I'm addressing) or the linkage?

I would have imagined that the linkage would be the issue if it wasn't making it into gear in a given position. When you say "loose feeling" do you mean it slops forward and back while in D or other positions?

You might want to see my thread too: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series-bmw/43721-auto-trans-shift-lever-feel-how-renew.html

Keep in touch and good luck!

Vic

Thanks for the link. Done nothing yet. It may be the adjustment previously mentioned. May be a moot point as my trany is wearing out/failing after 206,000 miles. I get a slow shift from 2nd to third.