PDA

View Full Version : rust-proofed sheet metal

Dash01
10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
When did BMW start using pre-treated rust-resistant sheet metal?

I'm considering an E24, and want to know when, if ever, BMW used the rust-resistant sheet metal on that car as they did on the E34.

Any definite ideas?

ArtemLepilov
10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
When did BMW start using pre-treated rust-resistant sheet metal?

I'm considering an E24, and want to know when, if ever, BMW used the rust-resistant sheet metal on that car as they did on the E34.

Any definite ideas?

On my E34 it didnt seem to be so rust resistant lol - my fenders have rotted on the bottom, small unibody areas where the fenders connect to the underneath of a car also have rusted, as well as the bottoms of my doors...

What is rust-resistant sheet metal?

Dash01
10-31-2005, 12:14 PM
The sheet metal was chemically treated to resist rust. Although not a complete galvanizing process, it did make the cars less prone to rust than previously. German car makers including Porsche and BMW adopted this process sometime in the 1980s.

Again, my question for anyone who knows the answer, is when did BMW convert to this process?

And, were the 635csi E24 cars included in the new rust resistant metal process?

genphreak
10-31-2005, 04:52 PM
The sheet metal was chemically treated to resist rust. Although not a complete galvanizing process, it did make the cars less prone to rust than previously. German car makers including Porsche and BMW adopted this process sometime in the 1980s.

Again, my question for anyone who knows the answer, is when did BMW convert to this process?

And, were the 635csi E24 cars included in the new rust resistant metal process?I reckon the e21/24/28 lines were not included. The cars rust too damn much. My guess is e32/34 and on all used it... ie from 1987 onwards (on their newer production lines). Not sure about E30/31 though, if they do they could have switched to it anytime in the early 80s. :) Nick