PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first e34...its gonna be interesting

drmmaster
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
just found this forum,...after picking up my first bmw .http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4584363154&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

run and drives very nice im impressed...as you can see it has flood damage...heh....everything in the car works flawlessly...except....ALL WINDOWS stuck up,,,all but drivers door now locked,..sunroof stuck,..no wipers at any speed...code on radio...few other minor things....but anyway....i just took the gen module and the rel module out,..what a joke.....completely wet...i dryed them off,,put them back..had 1 blown fuse...in the back..now i need to locate this mystery fuse link by the batt..also...i just bought the RM on ebay..few mins ago for 50 bux...any help/advise would be apreciated....and mind you i drove this car 9 hours home...with standing water in the GM area...lol...did not even know about that area prior to picking it up....please...let me hear all comments on it good or bad...i belive these 2 items will fix my probs..from what i read here...

shogun
10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Congrats and good luck in the future. Water can cause a problem for the elecronics.
One of my friend bought an E32 in similar conditions. Most problems occured with electrics on the floor located, such as the motors for the electric seats, switches, modules, relais.
Try to get the car dry as soon as possible. I would remove the carpet complete and dry it outside. Install an electric radiator or dehumidifier inside and let it work long enough to get everything dry. There are also chemicals available to dry, otherwise the whole car will smell, and the electric problams will continue.
See at mywebsite below for many links to other tech tip pages. You can use also the sites for E32 as both models have a lot of common parts.

My friend dried the car in the heater/dryer cell of a car paint shop. They drove the car overnight into there and kept the system on full drying power. That was the fastest and best method I heard of.

Jon K
10-30-2005, 11:05 PM
just found this forum,...after picking up my first bmw .http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4584363154&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

run and drives very nice im impressed...as you can see it has flood damage...heh....everything in the car works flawlessly...except....ALL WINDOWS stuck up,,,all but drivers door now locked,..sunroof stuck,..no wipers at any speed...code on radio...few other minor things....but anyway....i just took the gen module and the rel module out,..what a joke.....completely wet...i dryed them off,,put them back..had 1 blown fuse...in the back..now i need to locate this mystery fuse link by the batt..also...i just bought the RM on ebay..few mins ago for 50 bux...any help/advise would be apreciated....and mind you i drove this car 9 hours home...with standing water in the GM area...lol...did not even know about that area prior to picking it up....please...let me hear all comments on it good or bad...i belive these 2 items will fix my probs..from what i read here...

My vote is like 99.99999999999e10 % on the fusible link near the battery. Its under the rear seat. When you look at the battery, it will be on the +12v (red) cable about 5 - 8 inches, its a thick thing in line... check it out.

drmmaster
10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
thanks for the replys...im going to chk that relay..in the morning ill keep everyone posted....

uscharalph
10-31-2005, 12:16 AM

Congrats! Listen to Shogun and get that thing dried out, then you can start tackling things one by one.

Incantation
10-31-2005, 02:13 AM
welcome to the forum.. u are in good hands here

nice price on the car too.. lucky

TheDuke
10-31-2005, 10:41 AM
DRY IT DRY IT GOOD, dont rush, tak your time doing it as shogun wrote. Welcome to the forum.

onewhippedpuppy
10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Nice price, welcome. Like everybody said, take your time drying it out. If the water really only was 1.5 ft., then your only problems should be the many things on the floor. I'd gut the interior to dry it, then go from component to component, drying each and cleaning all connections, replacing anything that's shot. Don't forget areas such as the insides of the doors and under the sill plates. Sounds like a fun project, should have a good car when you're done.

drmmaster
10-31-2005, 04:59 PM
found a GM on ebay for 65.00....and got the RM....comming....wipers magicly started working today...lol....also got passanger door open with emergency unlock....2 back are still stuck....got a dehumidifier going in it.....the fuse link seamed ok....but its so hard to get to that stuff with the back doors shut...lol....

shogun
11-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Deadlocked rear door. This is from E32, but might help
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/deadlocked_door/deadlocked_door.html

drmmaster
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
yes im sure it will come in handy thanks alot.....as somehow i dont think ill be lucky enough to have the new GM and RM fix it all........we will see they should be in on fri...