PDA

View Full Version : Another fun Trans Program problem

jeffgummy
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM
I have tried to read through some of the other posts on this subject, I know this isn't a rare problem. I have a 94 540i, about 2 years ago I had to have the transmission rebuilt. About 4 months ago I started getting the trans program message when I was driving sporadically so I took it into a good bmw mechanic fearing that I would have to have more work done on the transmission, but like someone on here posted, usually trans program errors point to other issues. The mechanic told me the error was pointing to a speed sensor malfunction, he felt like most likely it was some sort of short in the wiring and after working through it for a couple of days he thought he had it fixed. I drove it for a couple of weeks and then it started coming on again, at first it was just once in a while, but now it is very predictable. After I start the car and drive, it will send up the Trans Program error the first time that I bring the car to a total stop. Interestingly enough, if I throw the car in neutral, it will keep this from happening, also if it goes into trans program and I drive the car in limp mode for a while, if I turn the car off and restart it, it will drive normally. I am not the most car savvy person, I can fix simple stuff, but I want to see if any of you can point me in the right direction so that I can maybe save another dozen trips to the shop if this is something I can fix myself or if I have detailed the same way this happened to someone else and you can point my mechanic in the right direction. Any help would be really really appreciated.

Thanks

Jeffgummy columbus oh