PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of 540 intake cover?

onewhippedpuppy
10-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Other than looks, what's the point? The fuel rail has a seperate cover, and on many cars it's exposed anyway. Plus, it seems like it would trap a lot of heat. Mine is crap thanks to the carelessness of past owners/ mechanics, all four of the bolt locations are broken off at the top, so I have four irregularly cracked holes where the caps are supposed to go. Would there be any downside to just pulling the damn thing off until I get another? I know it doesn't hurt anything as is, but it just annoys me.

MBXB
10-30-2005, 10:16 AM
The item is listed in the ETK as 'engine acoustics' so it would be fair assume it's there to deaden engine noise.

shogun
10-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Engine noise reduction, but also cosmetics. I removed the one on my V12 for some weeks as I was testing some things, but underneath it does not look that nice.

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 10:42 AM
The item is listed in the ETK as 'engine acoustics' so it would be fair assume it's there to deaden engine noise.
That makes sense.

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Engine noise reduction, but also cosmetics. I removed the one on my V12 for some weeks as I was testing some things, but underneath it does not look that nice.
Multi-purpose!

genphreak
10-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Multi-purpose!Actually its to prevent you from leaving your tool within that big gaping 'V' (esp. if you have an M70).

This is great when you are tired from a long-days work or when you've been bashing away on it a tad too long)

Once she's all closed up its easy to forget where you left your wrench extension...

genphreak
10-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Actually its to prevent you from leaving your tool within that big gaping 'V' (esp. if you have an M70).

This is great when you are tired from a long-days work or when you've been bashing away on it a tad too long)

Once she's all closed up its easy to forget where you left your wrench extension...Woops- I meant to say... 'tools'

onewhippedpuppy
10-30-2005, 06:57 PM
:D I won't say anything......

632 Regal
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
besices acoustics and looks it helps insulate the intake from abrupt changes in temperature such as if the car was sitting in the sun in hot conditions and also probably more importantly in the cold.

genphreak
10-30-2005, 08:18 PM
besices acoustics and looks it helps insulate the intake from abrupt changes in temperature such as if the car was sitting in the sun in hot conditions and also probably more importantly in the cold.:D I could say something but I won't...

GJPinAU
10-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Have you priced a new cover?
They are AUD$1200 here
I had the mounts replaced and used epoxy resin to fix the cover.

Bill R.
10-30-2005, 10:18 PM
available square inch of space on them...

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/850ivalvecovers.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/740manifold/740manifold4.jpg

Actually its to prevent you from leaving your tool within that big gaping 'V' (esp. if you have an M70).

Once she's all closed up its easy to forget where you left your wrench extension...

genphreak
10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
available square inch of space on them... Thanks Bill, they really are magnificent aren't they. I can't get enough of those suckers-even covered in cosmoline and filth they are just superb...

onewhippedpuppy
10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
I had just planned on trying to find one off of a parts car. I took it off yesterday though, and it doesn't sound any different, so I won't rush to spend that money.