PDA

View Full Version : E34 M20 gasket problem?

jplacson
03-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I met this guy today that said something about the early M20 engines having a problem with the gasket head or something? Something about the sealant containing something that wears out too fast then causes problems with your cylinders? Has anyone heard of this problem, or something similar, on the M20s? How do I address this problem? Thanks!

Unregistered
03-11-2004, 03:30 AM
I met this guy today that said something about the early M20 engines having a problem with the gasket head or something? Something about the sealant containing something that wears out too fast then causes problems with your cylinders? Has anyone heard of this problem, or something similar, on the M20s? How do I address this problem? Thanks!

I have a BMW 525i with a M20 engine which has driven 245000km so far (that's about 153000 miles) and never had this problem. The only problem I have is that at idle the engine runs very rough. Don't have an answer to this problem yet...

Paul in NZ
03-11-2004, 03:34 AM
fresh "anti freeze" every two years........keeps water pump happy and prevents undue corrosion.

jplacson
03-11-2004, 04:03 AM
I do... have my fluids serviced at BMW. Funny thing I found out... in a tropical country, anti-freeze is still better than the 'coolants' ... apparently anti-freeze is better at keeping it's temp and viscosity constant...even in a hot country like the Philippines.