PDA

View Full Version : Alternator torched

grease
10-30-2005, 09:50 AM
I have been away for some time and really am glad to be back. Everyone here is great. I have a question for all you guys. Anyone ever replaced an alternator and the battery cable leading to it. I roasted my alternator and the cable by driving on a severly discharged battery, one hell of a powerful generator is all I can say. I have a 1995 540i. Any help would be super appriciated hoping to get back together and meet in PA on Nov. 5th.
here a picture... nasty
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=DSC01983.JPG&h=xs52&d=05430

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 10:50 AM
I have been away for some time and really am glad to be back. Everyone here is great. I have a question for all you guys. Anyone ever replaced an alternator and the battery cable leading to it. I roasted my alternator and the cable by driving on a severly discharged battery, one hell of a powerful generator is all I can say. I have a 1995 540i. Any help would be super appriciated hoping to get back together and meet in PA on Nov. 5th.
here a picture... nasty
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=DSC01983.JPG&h=xs52&d=05430
Wow!

grease
10-30-2005, 02:04 PM
A word to everyone out there. Don't drive with a severely discharged battery. The 140 amp generator allowed me to get home, rather than left on the side of the road. I got home and smelled that electrical burnt smell that is ever so foul. I'm paying for it in the cost of a new alt. and possibly a wiring harness to the rear it. DAMN I wish i hadn't done that. I post more pics when I remove the generator from the vehicle. Expensive repair!!! Ouch.

Kalevera
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
That cable is part of the engine wiring harness. From what I remember, it runs to the starter and up to the ebox. Replacement is easy, but might be more difficult with the engine in the car. Last time I did one, the motor was on a hoist.

I would be surprised if there aren't other electrical maladays with the car given that kind of damage.

best, whit