PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do you get gasoline smell out of carpeting?

Derek A.
10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
I spilled some fuel in the back end of mom's e36 yesterday. Wasn't a ton but it still stinks. Any tried and true methods to clean ?

D.-

MBXB
10-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Last time this happened, the gas can tipped over.
I rented a steam cleaner and used the industrial strength carpet cleaner; followed up by odor neutralizer. I went to one of those cleaning supply/rental/vacuum repair places.
You may have to go over the area several times depending on how much gas soaked in.

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Last time this happened, the gas can tipped over.
I rented a steam cleaner and used the industrial strength carpet cleaner; followed up by odor neutralizer. I went to one of those cleaning supply/rental/vacuum repair places.
You may have to go over the area several times depending on how much gas soaked in.
It'll probably take a little time to get the smell all the way out.

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I spilled some fuel in the back end of mom's e36 yesterday. Wasn't a ton but it still stinks. Any tried and true methods to clean ?

D.-
Just curious. What were you doing with fuel in the car?

Alexlind123
10-30-2005, 10:50 AM
If the carpet there is easily removable, you may want to try using a pressure washer. When i fisrt got my car, i took the floormats out and put dish soap on them. The dish soap was ocncentrated however, and it took a long time to get all of the (too much) dish soap out with the pressure washer. But after i was done, they were incredibly clean, i could have eaten off of them.

Jay 535i
10-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Light a match.

Derek A.
10-30-2005, 11:28 AM
e36 fuel pumps/sending units are underneath the back seat - like where e34 batteries are. Makes it a very risky proposition when doing anything to the fuel system.

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Light a match.
LOL! That'll get rid of the smell! LOL!!

Jr ///M5
10-30-2005, 07:32 PM
If you can't remove the affected floor covering, at least leave the windows open for the next 3 or 4 days. The vapors that build up in a closed car could explode if an ignition source is available, like....an unsuspecting smoker, or even the anti-theft blinking radio...KA-BOOM!!!.......what a sub!

pyeman
11-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi folk`s, re the petrol smell, try a simple strong ordinary salt and water solution, like a table spoon to a pint of water, soak the affected area, rub it in well,,(really wet), then rinse off with cold water, put to dry by whatever means, this should cure it, and many other pongs you may have, trust me, i used to work in textile dyeing etc, and salt was always the last process to clear any nasty pong`s, good luck from a friend in UK.

Interceptor
11-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Light a match.
That will get rid of the fuel smell but after it he'll have to battle the burnt car smell, which is worse, in my opinion :)