PDA

View Full Version : how to tell rear shocks are bad?

Russell
10-29-2005, 07:33 PM
I replaced my front struts a few months ago with stock Boge struts at about 110,000. No other changes. Made a big difference in lean and control. Now have almost 117,000.

The rear shocks/struts are original. How can I tell if they need replacing? If so, what components besides the struts should be replaced.

TIA

Kalevera
10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Russell, they'll leak -- can't miss it. The other diagnostic is to determine how well they dampen bumps.

Replace rear shock mounts. Check the bump stops and dust shields (EDIT: actually, dust boots -- not sure why I called them shields), replace if necessary. Springs may merit replacement, as well -- measure the ride height to get an idea of how they're holding up.

best, whit

Russell
10-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Does not look like any droop in teh rear. However, I think rear damping is going. I feel as if there is a lot more wheel movement in the rear than the front.

Nick.Hay
10-30-2005, 12:41 AM
How can I tell if they need replacing?

Allow this V70R Volvo to demonstrate...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/stnick/volvo_sparks.jpg

Dan in NZ
10-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Damn! That's more than a little squat on acceleration...

My sig pic shows some good rear end squat on acceleration. A few suspension shops do free shock tests, I took mine in and they attached an electronic device and bounced the car, measuring rebound or something. Mine were at 80% or so.

Gooch
10-30-2005, 07:06 AM
If your shocks aren't leaking its hard to tell until you replace them. I did the opposite from you and replaced the rears first with Boge at 120,000 miles. Had no leaking. Big improvement in roll. And I can feel the difference from front to rear stability.
The rears are also easy to replace. If you decide to do so make sure you get new bump stops, spring retainers, and shock mounts. Also, you'll need to remove the bolts on one side of the dog bones.

Russell
10-30-2005, 07:41 AM
If your shocks aren't leaking its hard to tell until you replace them. I did the opposite from you and replaced the rears first with Boge at 120,000 miles. Had no leaking. Big improvement in roll. And I can feel the difference from front to rear stability.
The rears are also easy to replace. If you decide to do so make sure you get new bump stops, spring retainers, and shock mounts. Also, you'll need to remove the bolts on one side of the dog bones.
Some say they are hard to replace

Tiger
10-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Way easier than front to replace. Sign of bad shock in rear is poor control when hitting bump while turning because the wheel will continue to bounce... losing traction. 120K on Boge is unheard of. They do not last that long.

Russell
10-30-2005, 08:30 AM
They are the orginal shocks-thanks.