PDA

View Full Version : Suspect someone is searching our profiles for personal information

Gayle
10-29-2005, 08:47 AM
A while back BigKriss posted this link to see who is online. I use it regularly because I find interesting (to me at least) old threads (like the one on the 535 vs 525) that I would not otherwise find. I look at what the guests are searching for and that is how I stumble across interesting information.

For the last week I have noticed that 2 or 3 or 4 guests at a time are looking at profiles and often the profiles they are looking at are ones of people who are not currently active. Just now, I noticed that the two profiles they were looking at happen to be next to each other alphabetically.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/online.php?

I am not sure what information people could get or what use it could be put to, but I do think something is going on. Probably a good idea not have full birthdays or if you live in a small town, not to have the town.

MarkD
10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Is there any way to disable the search feature for guests? I know that Roadflea requires you to sign in to perform a search.

It would be interesting to know if the IP addresses of these guests are from the same IP address block, and the location.

Maybe it's time to require ALL access to require that you register and enter a valid email address that the server sends an email to as part of the registration process. I really don't see a problem with that.

MarkD

Gayle
10-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Is there any way to disable the search feature for guests? I know that Roadflea requires you to sign in to perform a search.

It would be interesting to know if the IP addresses of these guests are from the same IP address block, and the location.

Maybe it's time to require ALL access to require that you register and enter a valid email address that the server sends an email to as part of the registration process. I really don't see a problem with that.

MarkD

That is probably a good idea, but I am not sure how much protection that would give us. I personally have 8 valid email addresses.

shogun
10-29-2005, 09:30 AM
That is a program glitch/error. I know the same question from other boards.
Actually guests should not be able to look into that.
Logout and try it here too.
I have not tried it yet.

Paul in NZ
10-29-2005, 02:46 PM
i dont see any problem with that eihter.If you dont register with a valid email addy,you shouldnt be able to do ANYTHING.

Dan in NZ
10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, requiring registration that is. Wouldn't affect any new users, and people could still read posts before decididng if they wanted to join.

Zeuk in Oz
10-29-2005, 05:38 PM
A while back BigKriss posted this link to see who is online. I use it regularly because I find interesting (to me at least) old threads (like the one on the 535 vs 525) that I would not otherwise find. I look at what the guests are searching for and that is how I stumble across interesting information.

For the last week I have noticed that 2 or 3 or 4 guests at a time are looking at profiles and often the profiles they are looking at are ones of people who are not currently active. Just now, I noticed that the two profiles they were looking at happen to be next to each other alphabetically.

I am not sure what information people could get or what use it could be put to, but I do think something is going on. Probably a good idea not have full birthdays or if you live in a small town, not to have the town.

Given the nature of this forum this phenomenon may or may not be sinister.

I usually do not log on to read posts and only log on to post and then immediately log off. Cannot offer a reason other than it has become a habit as I find reading the threads off line easier than on line.

I am a member of a couple of other forums relating to motor vehicles and both required a person to be logged on to view member profiles.
I, for one, would be more comfortable if this forum was the same.

I do not quite know what anyone could do with any of the information in the profiles but do feel the added security would be worthwhile.

On many forums it actually lists those members currently online and this might also be worth considering.

uscharalph
10-29-2005, 07:08 PM

I'm gonna check on what info I've got there.

Interceptor
10-30-2005, 04:30 AM
Is this sort of paranoia common in the US? :)

So what if someone is browsing thru the profiles? It's not likely someone's searching a user who lives close to him so that he can steal a 15 year old car... C'mon, people... :)

pundit
10-30-2005, 04:40 AM

So what if someone is browsing thru the profiles? It's not likely someone's searching a user who lives close to him so that he can steal a 15 year old car... C'mon, people... :)
I know who you are and I saw what you did! ;)

Interceptor
10-30-2005, 06:47 AM
I know who you are and I saw what you did! ;)
Hihihi :) Don't tell my parents, please! :)

MarkD
10-30-2005, 08:16 AM

I know of cases where rather rare BMW's have been stolen. About 10 years ago, someone I know had his highly modified E28 M5 stolen from his work, and it was even caught on video speeding out of the parking lot. It seems that someone had a way to get keys based on the VIN which they could read off the dashboard. Now if I was a car jacker, I'd probebly look on the enthusiast boards also to see what's available. (especially if it has an EAT chip) :D

MarkD

winfred
10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
sorta like the people who blank out their licesnce plate in pictures, what about the thousands who see it everyday in traffic, if someone wants to **** with you they will

uscharalph
10-30-2005, 09:10 AM
sorta like the people who blank out their licesnce plate in pictures, what about the thousands who see it everyday in traffic, if someone wants to **** with you they will
Amen!

Interceptor
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM
I know of cases where rather rare BMW's have been stolen. About 10 years ago, someone I know had his highly modified E28 M5 stolen from his work, and it was even caught on video speeding out of the parking lot. It seems that someone had a way to get keys based on the VIN which they could read off the dashboard. Now if I was a car jacker, I'd probebly look on the enthusiast boards also to see what's available. (especially if it has an EAT chip) :D
I will certainly put a "NO E.A.T. CHIP INSIDE!" sticker on my car! :)

Jeff, are any of those available yet? :)

Interceptor
10-30-2005, 11:52 AM
That's why I always disconnect the positive lead from my battery when getting out of the car! What criminal mastermind could penetrate that fortress of security, eh?! :)

LOL, j/k :)

Booster
10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I will certainly put a "NO E.A.T. CHIP INSIDE!" sticker on my car! :)

Jeff, are any of those available yet? :)

Hehe.........a theif might read that with a heavy accent as saying..." dont eat chips in car "!!
:p
...........Vinny

Phil Sanderson
10-30-2005, 01:58 PM
regards
????

genphreak
10-30-2005, 05:50 PM

I am not sure what information people could get or what use it could be put to, but I do think something is going on. Probably a good idea not have full birthdays or if you live in a small town, not to have the town.ON ya Gayle... all these 'people looking at profiles' are more likely search bots cataloguing taking email addresses for spammers.

Hey Ed, please don't make our personal info publicly available... it is important to take data security seriously, especially if we wish to encourage people to fill out their details.

But anyone else can do it too. It should not be enabled, vBulletin has a switch for this (which should not be enabled by default but proably was when this forum was setup)

:) Nick

Gayle
10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
ON ya Gayle... all these 'people looking at profiles' are more likely search bots cataloguing taking email addresses for spammers.

This is the first thing about this that has made sense to me. Thanks Nick.

Torque
10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I have developed a new guide for posting images of our cars online:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6634/10007676pb.jpg

Basic idea is to black out the licence plate, lights (euro or us elipsoids or just regular lights), grille (wide or narrow), rear badge, vin number location, potential parking pass, and wheels in case you have some sweet m-pars you don't want anyone knowing about.

genphreak
10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I have developed a new guide for posting images of our cars online:D Indeed Torque, that is true online automotive security. The parts manufacturers have been practising this for some time now... hmm I reckon tho, from the look of the tread on your rear tyre I can isolate your location down to 50m of your garage using GPRS IXV-b and some new IPV6 tools (NOT)... :D Nick

Torque
10-30-2005, 09:45 PM
:D Indeed Torque, that is true online automotive security. The parts manufacturers have been practising this for some time now... hmm I reckon tho, from the look of the tread on your rear tyre I can isolate your location down to 50m of your garage using GPRS IXV-b and some new IPV6 tools (NOT)... :D NickSee what I mean folks ? Even one tiny detail and those sick bastards will be able to track and steal your car. :D

Interceptor
10-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Basic idea is to black out the licence plate, lights (euro or us elipsoids or just regular lights), grille (wide or narrow), rear badge, vin number location, potential parking pass, and wheels in case you have some sweet m-pars you don't want anyone knowing about.
LOL! That picture rules! :)

Torque
10-31-2005, 12:38 AM
LOL! That picture rules! :)I forgot to black out the hood area -- I realized that it gives away the grille configuration, but it was too late.

peks
10-31-2005, 07:29 AM
you should blot out the color of the car, too.. especialy if its avus blue

winfred
10-31-2005, 07:31 AM
you should of blocked out the fog lights too, i can tell it's a early car by the elipsoid fog lights bwahahahaha resistance is futile you will be assimilated...... or smacked on the ass.... or something

I forgot to black out the hood area -- I realized that it gives away the grille configuration, but it was too late.

Interceptor
10-31-2005, 08:09 AM
you should of blocked out the fog lights too, i can tell it's a early car by the elipsoid fog lights bwahahahaha resistance is futile you will be assimilated...... or smacked on the ass.... or something
What kind of foglights did later cars have?

Gayle
10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Have you thought of making that your signature pic?

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-31-2005, 08:39 AM
I am checking into this and disabling some options. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems I may have to upgrade to perhaps get some of the correct options for disabling profile info for non-members. I can't seem to find that option in the sea of options vB provides. But I'm still lookingl

Torque
10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you thought of making that your signature pic?I have now.

ArtemLepilov
10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
omg.... this forum is nothing but trouble :p

Now im going to get my car stolen because of it :-O

winfred
10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
i am on another vb forum that has a spell check built in that's kinda cool, it's another choice next to the submit reply and preview post buttons

I am checking into this and disabling some options. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems I may have to upgrade to perhaps get some of the correct options for disabling profile info for non-members. I can't seem to find that option in the sea of options vB provides. But I'm still lookingl

winfred
10-31-2005, 11:33 AM
it's just a ribbed glass lens with no projector

What kind of foglights did later cars have?

Interceptor
10-31-2005, 12:47 PM
it's just a ribbed glass lens with no projector
Are they better than the old ones? Is swapping the old ones for new ones a simple plug and play process? In what year did they make the change?

Sorry for interrogating :)

Jeff N.
10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
All your base are belong to us!

winfred
10-31-2005, 04:17 PM
the old ones are better, plug is different but that can be delt with

Are they better than the old ones? Is swapping the old ones for new ones a simple plug and play process? In what year did they make the change?

Sorry for interrogating :)

genphreak
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I am checking into this and disabling some options. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems I may have to upgrade to perhaps get some of the correct options for disabling profile info for non-members. I can't seem to find that option in the sea of options vB provides. But I'm still lookinglOn ya Ed. I'm surprised we're not all being TADGENIZED, TURBONATED and TURBOFILTERED via email by now... but then again, not much makes it though the spam filters (yet)

632 Regal
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
people wouldnt know it was me with sppel chekc
i am on another vb forum that has a spell check built in that's kinda cool, it's another choice next to the submit reply and preview post buttons

Johntee540
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Gosh - when did the new standard go into force? Did I miss the memo? I already posted 2 pics with out the camo! - JT

632 Regal
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
I have seperate emails for all the different places I frequent, I havent gotten much spam at all from this place except for a couple disgruntled nube's.

On ya Ed. I'm surprised we're not all being TADGENIZED, TURBONATED and TURBOFILTERED via email by now... but then again, not much makes it though the spam filters (yet)

genphreak
10-31-2005, 06:11 PM
I have seperate emails for all the different places I frequent, I havent gotten much spam at all from this place except for a couple disgruntled nube's.Ahhhh but eveidently you have been NOOOOOBONATED though...

Torque
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Ahhhh but eveidently you have been NOOOOOBONATED though...Will that increase my HP ?

winfred
10-31-2005, 08:02 PM
just the usual pecker widener, rolex, drug and morgage bull ****

On ya Ed. I'm surprised we're not all being TADGENIZED, TURBONATED and TURBOFILTERED via email by now... but then again, not much makes it though the spam filters (yet)

Gayle
10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I get the last three but not the first. Surely spammers can't be that intelligent.

genphreak
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
I get the last three but not the first. Surely spammers can't be that intelligent.No they generally aren't but they know coders that are... and they all have an EXCELLENT working relationship :)

The end of the world is nigh... BWAAAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH!!!