PDA

View Full Version : AC Schnitzer mirrors

Booster
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Guys/Gals.......... I make Carbon Fiber componets as a second business and since each new part requires SO much time and money to bring something to fruition, I often pick items that tend to be abit self serving initially too.
I want to build molds for the ACS mirrors so I can do them in CF.
What I NEED ...is a decent set to begin with as I've had zero luck buying/bidding with online auctions at a sane price so I can begin.
My question therein is" Anyone have a set willing to lend or sell"?
I'll have to bodywork them to perfection as well as paint and wetsand to the Zenith finish to use as the Plugs.Then build the molds from there.
So please comment as to the subject . I also already started with the ACS boot spoiler for the same CF goods.
Thanks in advance and try to avoid the " copyright speech" if possible.....lol.
Vinny :)

Shaun
10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Guys/Gals.......... I make Carbon Fiber componets as a second business and since each new part requires SO much time and money to bring something to fruition, I often pick items that tend to be abit self serving initially too.
I want to build molds for the ACS mirrors so I can do them in CF.
What I NEED ...is a decent set to begin with as I've had zero luck buying/bidding with online auctions at a sane price so I can begin.
My question therein is" Anyone have a set willing to lend or sell"?
I'll have to bodywork them to perfection as well as paint and wetsand to the Zenith finish to use as the Plugs.Then build the molds from there.
So please comment as to the subject . I also already started with the ACS boot spoiler for the same CF goods.
Thanks in advance and try to avoid the " copyright speech" if possible.....lol.
Vinny :)

Interesting that you did the boot spoiler, since I know there is at least a kevlar version of the ACS E34 boot spoiler floating around (almost grabbed it on ebay, but the price was way out of control).

Interested in doing a set of interior trim in CF? :)

AllGo'n'Show
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
if you can do this stuff for the E32's aswell, including my iL aswell then I will be all over it :)

bahnstormer
10-28-2005, 09:49 PM
why not do the hood and truck lid? or perhaps the side skirts?

best of all would be a bumper... =]

Incantation
10-28-2005, 11:43 PM
u can get em on ebay for real cheap .. i think non-motorized versions are around the 20 dollar range.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=e34+mirrors

Shaun
10-29-2005, 12:07 AM
u can get em on ebay for real cheap .. i think non-motorized versions are around the 20 dollar range.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=e34+mirrors

Those are the "M3 Look" mirrors. The ACS mirrors are lot smaller and have a different shell shape. I had a set for about 2 months before deciding the glass was too small to be useful.

pyro
10-29-2005, 12:31 AM
might i ask how do you make carbon fiber parts? i know its similar to epoxy but how similar

AllGo'n'Show
10-29-2005, 07:33 AM
kind of like fiberglass but not near as easy I heard.

Booster
10-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I have two extra aluminum E34 hoods and a boot lid waiting for mold making. One of the hoods is for a modification with some type of air induction and heat venting. I'm not into gaudy styling so it will be something flush or near flush.I plan on doing those in CF .
As far as the Interior pieces go......I personally don't care for the overlay look. I would rather spend the time to engineer a part replacement in order to keep with good OEM fitment. It takes alot of time to develope correctly and come out with quality parts.
Regarding the mirrors..........I also wanted to stay with the ACS versions as I really like the smaller look. The M3 type is cool too, but most of the parts on my car are ACS and keeping with that theme is what I'd like to do first.
Anybody have a set ??
..........Vinny :D

Shaun
10-29-2005, 11:54 AM
I have two extra aluminum E34 hoods and a boot lid waiting for mold making. One of the hoods is for a modification with some type of air induction and heat venting. I'm not into gaudy styling so it will be something flush or near flush.I plan on doing those in CF .
As far as the Interior pieces go......I personally don't care for the overlay look. I would rather spend the time to engineer a part replacement in order to keep with good OEM fitment. It takes alot of time to develope correctly and come out with quality parts.
Regarding the mirrors..........I also wanted to stay with the ACS versions as I really like the smaller look. The M3 type is cool too, but most of the parts on my car are ACS and keeping with that theme is what I'd like to do first.
Anybody have a set ??
..........Vinny :D

Yeah, I have CF overlay pieces already. I've been meaning to do some real replacemement pieces, just don't have the time. Perhaps someday.... :)

mattyb
10-29-2005, 04:59 PM
how difficult would it be to make one piece tilt front end, ive always wanted this for my car.

Booster
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
how difficult would it be to make one piece tilt front end, ive always wanted this for my car.

Very! I'd estimate over 300 man hours to just bring that project to the mold stage and then another 60 to finish it towards paint.

SO no one has a set of ACS mirrors who wants to see what they'd look like in CF ??
:(
Vinny

InfernoM3
10-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Very! I'd estimate over 300 man hours to just bring that project to the mold stage and then another 60 to finish it towards paint.

SO no one has a set of ACS mirrors who wants to see what they'd look like in CF ??
:(
Vinny
I have a set of ACS mirrors. Don't know if I want CF ones though.

Booster
10-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a set of ACS mirrors. Don't know if I want CF ones though.

Are they mounted ? What color is your car ? CF twill looks sort of shifting black and grey/silver in the light.Usually looks great near any body color or lightly tinted glass for that matter.
Well at least if I have made the molds and have them in the library.....you guys will be able to get resonably priced replacements in the event there is ever damage to the shells. The shell can be made of the original fiberglass with gelcoat to paint or CF with clear gelcoat.Thats my thinking on it.

Anyone want to sell theirs to me for this project ??
:D :D
Vinny

genphreak
10-30-2005, 08:25 PM
how difficult would it be to make one piece tilt front end, ive always wanted this for my car.Good point mate, the hood shocks, hinge and locking mechanism are already in place... you just need the hould to go over the top. Could do a one mould that offers 2 types- one that mounts head-lights and has the grilles, one that allows use of the stock apron, grille and bumpers. ;) One for the purists, one for the racers who want to lose all the weight... that'd be a must have down at the race-track or drag-strip! I personally want to replace the heavy boot, guards and bonnet :) Gee mate, we'd have to get a container of 'em sent :D

Booster
10-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Good point mate, the hood shocks, hinge and locking mechanism are already in place... you just need the hould to go over the top. Could do a one mould that offers 2 types- one that mounts head-lights and has the grilles, one that allows use of the stock apron, grille and bumpers. ;) One for the purists, one for the racers who want to lose all the weight... that'd be a must have down at the race-track or drag-strip! I personally want to replace the heavy boot, guards and bonnet :) Gee mate, we'd have to get a container of 'em sent :D

There are a number of ways to approach the tilty's. I've done them before on Domestic mucsle cars as well as a few Datsun 240-Z's. Its novel at best. Now...in a full caged race car , a full pin on -lift off 1 piece is useful.....but few of us will be doing that if any.......and lord knows I'm not going to spend redundant time doing it since I already know the outcome.
Now ....back to the subject at hand....( AC Schnitzer mirrors )
InfernoM3 ?? Are you using yours ??

Does ANYONE here have a set unbolted ? Even slightly damaged ?I'd like to work this project set of molds throught he Winter and have sets ready by Spring.
Vinny

InfernoM3
10-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Are they mounted ? What color is your car ? CF twill looks sort of shifting black and grey/silver in the light.Usually looks great near any body color or lightly tinted glass for that matter.
Well at least if I have made the molds and have them in the library.....you guys will be able to get resonably priced replacements in the event there is ever damage to the shells. The shell can be made of the original fiberglass with gelcoat to paint or CF with clear gelcoat.Thats my thinking on it.

Anyone want to sell theirs to me for this project ??
:D :D
Vinny
I have not used mine yet. Been sitting in my garage for a while I been too lazy to get them painted. Been waiting to get some sideskirts and a rear and painting them all together to save on paint costs. Plus I didn't know how to wire them. Shoot me an offer if you want them. I may consider selling them.

Booster
10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I have not used mine yet. Been sitting in my garage for a while I been too lazy to get them painted. Been waiting to get some sideskirts and a rear and painting them all together to save on paint costs. Plus I didn't know how to wire them. Shoot me an offer if you want them. I may consider selling them.

Well.....do you want to work something out in regards to these ? I'm a very articulate / detailed sort, and will make very nice pieces. PM me with any questions you may have and we can go from there.
Looking forward to it........Vinny :)

genphreak
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
There are a number of ways to approach the tilty's. I've done them before on Domestic mucsle cars as well as a few Datsun 240-Z's. Its novel at best. Now...in a full caged race car , a full pin on -lift off 1 piece is useful.....but few of us will be doing that if any.......and lord knows I'm not going to spend redundant time doing it since I already know the outcome. Hey Vinny, cool, sorry I can't help with the mirrors.

(Are the pins there so it doesn't fly off in accidents or in heavy wind/speed? Novel... ? You mean its just usually a crappy outcome? I was thinking of asking a mate about fibre-glassing it with me and perhaps now I won't. I can see your point, it'd flop and needs support everywhere... they usually bow here and there, plus the paint finish is never the same.) Maybe I'll start a new thread :) Good luck w the mirrors! :) Nick

Booster
10-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Vinny, cool, sorry I can't help with the mirrors.

(Are the pins there so it doesn't fly off in accidents or in heavy wind/speed? Novel... ? You mean its just usually a crappy outcome? I was thinking of asking a mate about fibre-glassing it with me and perhaps now I won't. I can see your point, it'd flop and needs support everywhere... they usually bow here and there, plus the paint finish is never the same.) Maybe I'll start a new thread :) Good luck w the mirrors! :) Nick

Yes.....pins for quick removal and less weight with no latches.Novel ..meaning cool/neat but soon wears off. Alot of fabrication and chopping to get it right.For a street car.....it would be quicker and cheaper to weld all of the steel panels together and chop whats needed for the clearences then body work and paint. The car won't lose any weight but your goal is met.

DAmn.........no one wants to play with me !
.............Vinny
:p