PDA

View Full Version : I believe my intake cracked

sirius_GTO
10-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I just popped up my hood today and I realized that the air intake is cracked. The rubber piping has a crack in the ribs. Any suggestions on what to buy in terms of replacement parts? Is it safe to drive right now? Will I be getting worst gas mileage?

I'm not even sure if its the air intake but I am pretty sure that is what it is.

I will take a picture of it tomorrow, but for now, its located on the driver side and close to the bumper.

Thanks

sirius_GTO
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
also, i should redefine the word 'crack' into 'tear in the plastic'.

Kalevera
10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Relatively common. You could buy the part from a dealer, or a place like BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com).

It's an unmetered air leak if the boot is cracked between the AFM and the throttle body. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Best, whit

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I just popped up my hood today and I realized that the air intake is cracked. The rubber piping has a crack in the ribs. Any suggestions on what to buy in terms of replacement parts? Is it safe to drive right now? Will I be getting worst gas mileage?

I'm not even sure if its the air intake but I am pretty sure that is what it is.

I will take a picture of it tomorrow, but for now, its located on the driver side and close to the bumper.

Thanks
If it's the piece I'm thinking of (Round accordian ribbed), I replaced mine with a part I bought from BMA. Ithink it was only $2 or $3.

sirius_GTO
10-28-2005, 06:07 PM
If it's the piece I'm thinking of (Round accordian ribbed), I replaced mine with a part I bought from BMA. Ithink it was only $2 or $3.

yea, but that is the Air Filter right? Thanks a lot guys. Ebay here i come!! lol

Kalevera
10-28-2005, 06:09 PM
yea, but that is the Air Filter right? Thanks a lot guys. Ebay here i come!! lol
Don't buy it from eBay. Get a genuine/good part from a verifiable resource unless you want to replace the thing again in a few months.

best, whit

sirius_GTO
10-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Don't buy it from eBay. Get a genuine/good part from a verifiable resource unless you want to replace the thing again in a few months.

best, whit

thanks a lot whit. A lot of people on here seem to be anti-ebay... hehehe probably for good reasons.

Kalevera
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
thanks a lot whit. A lot of people on here seem to be anti-ebay... hehehe probably for good reasons.
Actually, I buy and sell lots of things on ebay (including buying this car)....Buuut, generally, the people who sell parts are dealing in the asian import garbage, which only results in having to do the job again. Granted, it's not much work, but it is a hassle.

Replacing this part (center link) with the OEM unit cost me $75 today.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v736/suzpectx/?action=view&current=centerlink.jpg

best, whit