PDA

View Full Version : Removing and putting on new emblems

McWatters
10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Alrighty so i finally got my carbon fiber blue emblems from Taiwan

so i want to remove my shite old ones. How? theres ****ing cemented on there. lol Any sugesstions without damaging my paint to much, altho its already **** so it doesnt really matter.

also can i heard i need new plug things or whatever, well cant i just use my old ones???

cheers

J.McWatters

Torque
10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I suggest you take like a towel or something, and put it right next to the emblem in the place where you'll slide the screwdriver under it. Mine always came out easily, so I have no idea what to suggest other than prying until they come out.

angrypancake
10-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Use a credit card and a screw driver. Work the credit card under the edge and then get the screwdriver in there. I use my crappy ass NY drivers lisence (thats the one word I will NEVER spell correctly) cause its soft and it wont damage the paint

Jay 535i
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Here's what I did:

Slide a credit card under the badge, with a THIN towel between the card and the paint. Work the credit card up and down a bit. The credit card is too flexible to pop the badge off, but it does a good job of getting it started. Work the badge all the way around with the credit card.

Now you should have some space between the badge and the panel. Just a little, but enough to fit the end of a small screwdriver in there, again using a towel between the driver and the paint.

Work the screwdriver GENTLY around, from every angle, like the way you torque down your wheel nuts. Do it evenly all the way around. Be patient and gentle, and in a couple of minutes you'll have gradually worked it off entirely.

Mine came off with no problems by doing this, but it's much more a matter of gently working it off rather than popping it off in one go.

To answer your other question, I reused the old plugs with no problems. Be GENTLE in removing the badge, though, or you could tear them. They're pretty soft.

Lastly, FWIW, I tried following the advice of others which says to put the rubber grommets into the holes, then push the badge on. In the end, I couldn't make that work, so I tried it the other way: push the grommets onto the badge's posts, then push the whole thing in. I also put a bit of saliva on the grommets. Then they went it very easily, and show no signs of letting go.

Jay 535i
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Use a credit card and a screw driver. Work the credit card under the edge and then get the screwdriver in there. I use my crappy ass NY drivers lisence (thats the one word I will NEVER spell correctly) cause its soft and it wont damage the paint

Heh, you beat me to it. I just posted the same thing.

Nice bong, BTW :)

ArtemLepilov
10-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Heh, you beat me to it. I just posted the same thing.

Nice bong, BTW :)

In the manual it says that you need special tools, but basically there is a way you can do it from the inside - if you look on the other side of where the emblem is attached, you can push on the pins from the inside and push it out. Try that. :) - doesnt damage any paint at all

-Artem

Incantation
10-28-2005, 03:54 PM
might also help for you to know the orientation of the pins as it is easier to get the thing off when you work something under the badge perpendicular to the pins..

don't try to pry it off from the sides.. work it from the front of back (relative to the car)

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Alrighty so i finally got my carbon fiber blue emblems from Taiwan

so i want to remove my shite old ones. How? theres ****ing cemented on there. lol Any sugesstions without damaging my paint to much, altho its already **** so it doesnt really matter.

also can i heard i need new plug things or whatever, well cant i just use my old ones???

cheers

J.McWatters
I used a towel a creit card and a tiny flat head screwdriver. I was able to reuse my grommets.

Jay 535i
10-29-2005, 12:32 PM
might also help for you to know the orientation of the pins

I believe they're at 3 and 9 o'clock.

632 Regal
10-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I used a hammer and a crowbar....

the real trick to this is to use fishing line and lightly saw through the goo, then clean it up with goo-gone and pop the new ones on.

Jay 535i
10-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I used a hammer and a crowbar....

the real trick to this is to use fishing line and lightly saw through the goo, then clean it up with goo-gone and pop the new ones on.

Are we talking about the BMW roundels on the bonnet and decklid? I thought they didn't have any 'goo'. Mine didn't.

The model badge, though, does.