PDA

View Full Version : 540 owners- what does your intake elbow look like?

onewhippedpuppy
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
On a past thread when I expressed the frustration that I had getting my plastic TB elbow to go back onto my TB, Jeff (Regal) suggested that it may be the wrong elbow, as he thought all the 540 elbows were aluminum, with the 530s being plastic. So, what should a '95 540/6 have for a TB elbow?

The plastic one on mine is nearly impossible to fit, I had to lube it up, then work it over the rubber gasket on the TB with a screwdriver. If I tighten the hose clamp too much, it pops off, so basically it doesn't fit worth a damn.

632 Regal
10-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I would guess the rubber gasket is worn. you shouldnt put any kind of lube on it because it may pop off when you tighten the clamp...(LOL).

It might be possible the plastic shrunk but I doubt it.

Did you loosen the other side of the elbow to make it workable? Mine popped off on the lower side and took a while to figure out the leak. Dry the lube off and try again with the thing real loose, tighten the engine side first.

Shaun
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
On a past thread when I expressed the frustration that I had getting my plastic TB elbow to go back onto my TB, Jeff (Regal) suggested that it may be the wrong elbow, as he thought all the 540 elbows were aluminum, with the 530s being plastic. So, what should a '95 540/6 have for a TB elbow?

The plastic one on mine is nearly impossible to fit, I had to lube it up, then work it over the rubber gasket on the TB with a screwdriver. If I tighten the hose clamp too much, it pops off, so basically it doesn't fit worth a damn.

They're all rubber, but you could possibly have the wrong part.

540i elbow (part description is actually "RUBBER BOOT"): 13 71 1 747 995
530i elbow (same part description as the 540i piece): 13 71 1 747 994

A mix-up could easily happen with the part numbers being so close. I've no idea if the boots and throttle bodies are a different diameter. Did you make sure to pull off the old rubber seal from the throttle body (the new boot should have come with a new one for both the throttle body and the idle control valve.

onewhippedpuppy
10-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I wasn't replacing it, I found that it was partially off when I was looking over my engine after purchasing the car. I ended up taking it loose at both ends so I could manipulate it over the TB, then carefully pivoting it around to connect to the AFM. I know that lubricating it isn't ideal, but without it there was no way in hell it would have gone on. I'll check the PNs next time I'm in there, it's on so I'm not messing with it unless it's wrong.

Shaun
10-28-2005, 01:25 PM
I wasn't replacing it, I found that it was partially off when I was looking over my engine after purchasing the car. I ended up taking it loose at both ends so I could manipulate it over the TB, then carefully pivoting it around to connect to the AFM. I know that lubricating it isn't ideal, but without it there was no way in hell it would have gone on. I'll check the PNs next time I'm in there, it's on so I'm not messing with it unless it's wrong.

Ah. Strangeness!

My new boot took a little bit to get over the throttle body, but nothing near needing lubrication. :(

Incantation
10-28-2005, 02:21 PM
dude your car looks badass with those rims

540iT
10-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Throttle body elbow on my 94 540i M60 is aliminium.

Gary

tim
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Mine's plastic on a '95 540 (10/94 build date)

Shaun
10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Throttle body elbow on my 94 540i M60 is aliminium.

Gary

Any chance we could get a picture? BMW lists only one part number for these boots. I'd like to see the aluminum one :)

Bill R.
10-28-2005, 04:39 PM
aluminum elbow connected to a rubber boot, the ones without use a rubber/plastic boot elbow assy.

Any chance we could get a picture? BMW lists only one part number for these boots. I'd like to see the aluminum one :)

Shaun
10-28-2005, 05:42 PM
aluminum elbow connected to a rubber boot, the ones without use a rubber/plastic boot elbow assy.

I remember reading about it, but one would think there would be a separate part number, which I'm not seeing. I'd just like to see one.

Bill R.
10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Elbow.jpg
I remember reading about it, but one would think there would be a separate part number, which I'm not seeing. I'd just like to see one.

Shaun
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Elbow.jpg

Ah, it's listed under a different diagram. D'oh!

Now I'm really curious. Where'd the Java ETK come from? :D

I have ETK 7/2005 disc from the dealer, and it's the old crappy windows version :(

gtopaul
10-29-2005, 06:32 AM
I had to glue mine on with clear silicone to stop it from coming off when tightened. Seems like they're not made at the correct angle or something. Just took it apart from the air cleaner to relieve the tension and glued it good. Let it sit overnight and it doesn't come off now. Prior owner had glued it also and now I know why.

Paul L

DueyT
10-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Sorry, only pic I have that show it...upper left.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540cbl-4.JPG

My 95 540i/6 has ASC+T, hence the aluminum elbow with a straight rubber boot, as Bill mentioned.

Cheers,
Duey

onewhippedpuppy
10-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys, mine is like the one on the right, I don't have ASC. Where'd the ETK come from, that's way better than realoem.com.