PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into an E34.....

Rigmaster
10-28-2005, 10:26 AM
So, I locked the one and only key I have for my "new" '92 525iT in the car yesterday- the tailgate only works with the key (more questions about that later), so I was trying to get some stuff out of the rear cargo area. I put the key in the lock, turned it (the wrong way) and the doors locked- so I turned it the other way, and the hatch opened. I lifted up the hatch, unloaded a few things that I was after- then closed the hatch- with the key sitting on the rear floor!!!

I decided I was not going to be defeated. I gathered up a long screwdriver and a coat hanger and went to work. I pulled the upper rear corner of the right front door window fram away from the body of the car a bit, then carefully inserted the screwdriver in the gap. Then I bent the coat hanger into a long "L shape, with a loop at the end. I fished it thru the opening, careful to not tear the weatherstrip around the door opening. I had to rebend the hanger one time, but I quickly got the loop around the door lock knob inside the car, and with a slight tug- the knob came up and all the doors unlocked!! WOOHOO.

Now, I am going to be extra careful with the one key that I have for this car, until I can get another key from the dealer.

I was somewhat surprised, but relieved in this case, at how easy it was to break into this car. I imagine professional car thieves could have gotten inside the car in about 10-15 seconds. Something to keep in mind next time you park your car with some expensive item in plain view inside your locked car. If you are concerned about this, I think installing some smooth (i.e- no "head") door lock knobs would probably at least slow down a thief- they would not have anything for the coat hanger to grab using this method.

Bret.

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
So, I locked the one and only key I have for my "new" '92 525iT in the car yesterday- the tailgate only works with the key (more questions about that later), so I was trying to get some stuff out of the rear cargo area. I put the key in the lock, turned it (the wrong way) and the doors locked- so I turned it the other way, and the hatch opened. I lifted up the hatch, unloaded a few things that I was after- then closed the hatch- with the key sitting on the rear floor!!!

I decided I was not going to be defeated. I gathered up a long screwdriver and a coat hanger and went to work. I pulled the upper rear corner of the right front door window fram away from the body of the car a bit, then carefully inserted the screwdriver in the gap. Then I bent the coat hanger into a long "L shape, with a loop at the end. I fished it thru the opening, careful to not tear the weatherstrip around the door opening. I had to rebend the hanger one time, but I quickly got the loop around the door lock knob inside the car, and with a slight tug- the knob came up and all the doors unlocked!! WOOHOO.

Now, I am going to be extra careful with the one key that I have for this car, until I can get another key from the dealer.

I was somewhat surprised, but relieved in this case, at how easy it was to break into this car. I imagine professional car thieves could have gotten inside the car in about 10-15 seconds. Something to keep in mind next time you park your car with some expensive item in plain view inside your locked car. If you are concerned about this, I think installing some smooth (i.e- no "head") door lock knobs would probably at least slow down a thief- they would not have anything for the coat hanger to grab using this method.

Bret.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Moral of the story, don't leave any desirable items in your BMW.

Torque
10-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Now, if you had double-locked the car, you would have been SOL.

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Now, if you had double-locked the car, you would have been SOL.
Maybe that's why I can't double-lock it from my trunk.

Torque
10-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Maybe that's why I can't double-lock it from my trunk.Reading > me.

I appologize.

DaCan23
10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Was this in a car with a factory alarm? Even if you have an alarm, if you lock the doors with the key from the outside, can u pull up on the lock knob? Cause using any alarm button I know you can't.

Qsilver7
10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
your story is the VERY reason that I always leave the trunk lock (on my sedan) in the vertical ( | ) position . If for some chance I laid the keys down inside the trunk while retrieving or arranging items, then slammed the trunk down before thinking about it...the trunk could still be opened by pressing the trunk's lock. If you leave your trunk lock in the horizontal ( -- ) position (disconnected from the central locking system) ...you're doomed because the trunk can now only be opened with a key!! And if you only have one set of key (which are now locked in the trunk)...the problem is now compounded! :(

When securing the car, I use the remote or key and when I know that I'm done...I use the remote... which means the key is in my hand!

My Touring's tailgate is different in that I can lock all the doors etc with the key....but only the tailgate "unlocks" when using the key in its lock cylinder...so I always make sure that I only lock the Touring with the remote when I'm at the tailgate (which wasn't an option in your case).

Qsilver7
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Was this in a car with a factory alarm? Even if you have an alarm, if you lock the doors with the key from the outside, can u pull up on the lock knob? Cause using any alarm button I know you can't.
depends on what year...I believe up to the 1993 model year...the door locks sitll had two lock positions....a single lock...and double lock. In 1993, BMW changed the locks to unlock/double-lock only...so in your case...yes, if you lock the door with the key from outside...then the car is automatically double locked.

Paul in NZ
10-28-2005, 03:49 PM
although can you double lock the later cars from the trunk or tailgate.I cannot double lock ny early car from my boot.....perhaps its meant to be like that

Booster
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Rigmaster]

I was somewhat surprised, but relieved in this case, at how easy it was to break into this car. I imagine professional car thieves could have gotten inside the car in about 10-15 seconds.

More like 1 second with the smashing of the side glass !!I've had at one time or another all four of my drivers broken into this way. They don't even let the honking or flashing lights deter them.
I've only had the satisfaction once of breaking one of the theives head open once caught. Oh man......did he ever get the brunt of ALL that pent up anger, and I TOLD him so too.The jerk tried to sue me later for medical costs. Good thing I was smart enough to take the broken glass in my hand and cut my face and arm to look like a struggle of self defense for the cops to see ! MAN did I F--k him up good. The cop was suprised I didn't finish him off. I think he was fishing for my response in the negative.
.....................Vinny

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 06:03 PM
although can you double lock the later cars from the trunk or tailgate.I cannot double lock ny early car from my boot.....perhaps its meant to be like that
That's the way mine is.

Alexlind123
10-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Nice job on the car thief.

[QUOTE=Rigmaster]

I was somewhat surprised, but relieved in this case, at how easy it was to break into this car. I imagine professional car thieves could have gotten inside the car in about 10-15 seconds.

More like 1 second with the smashing of the side glass !!I've had at one time or another all four of my drivers broken into this way. They don't even let the honking or flashing lights deter them.
I've only had the satisfaction once of breaking one of the theives head open once caught. Oh man......did he ever get the brunt of ALL that pent up anger, and I TOLD him so too.The jerk tried to sue me later for medical costs. Good thing I was smart enough to take the broken glass in my hand and cut my face and arm to look like a struggle of self defense for the cops to see ! MAN did I F--k him up good. The cop was suprised I didn't finish him off. I think he was fishing for my response in the negative.
.....................Vinny

jplacson
10-29-2005, 10:07 AM
That's what I hate about the US... criminals can actually sue the people they're committing a crime against!!!! Grrrrr

Qube
10-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Parking for the night at my place... double lock, code, aftermarket alarm, fork club, remove radio face, lock glovebox, lock trunk (manual position)... finally... camp out by window with rifle and night-scope.

Nick.Hay
10-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Dealership trick that my Mechanic told me about:

If you thump the car in a certain place on the front bumper or front guards, it sets off the crash-detector, and unlocks all the doors!! It also sets off the hazards, (and cuts off the fuel??) Probably not recommended tho.

Qube
10-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Dealership trick that my Mechanic told me about:

If you thump the car in a certain place on the front bumper or front guards, it sets off the crash-detector, and unlocks all the doors!! It also sets off the hazards, (and cuts off the fuel??) Probably not recommended tho.

I was under the assumption that the car had to be moving or otherwise engaged for that to happen? It would make sense.

genphreak
10-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I'd try to avoid risking damage to the rubber or door, easier to go get a new key from the dealer... one could always do with a spare anyways... assuming you can wait that is :)

InfernoM3
10-30-2005, 11:33 PM
You know I had the opposite experience on my 525i. The car battery died and the car wouldn't open w/ the key? Is this some kinda BMW anti theft mechanism? So i called a locksmith and they couldn't break in through the window. the tried all these tools and it didn't work. But however the key opened the trunk and since i had an amp they jumped the battery through the big cable connecting my amp to the battery which gave some power so my autoalarm couldn't open the doors? You know what else is crazy. My other 535i overheated in Hollywood on a Sat nite and i ended up leaving it on the side of a busy street Hollywood and Bronson and left the passenger window wide open till the next morning when i came w/ the tow truck and nothing was taken from the car? I was so worried that someone would break in w/ the window up? I can't believe i left the window open.

Nick.Hay
10-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Apparently not...

She goes in to have the new Bilsteins fitted tomorrow, I'll clarify it with him then.

Qsilver7
10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
You know I had the opposite experience on my 525i. The car battery died and the car wouldn't open w/ the key? Is this some kinda BMW anti theft mechanism?
Have you ever seen the "emergency unlock procedure" outlined in the owners manual, and posted on the board?

Here it is reprinted again :D :

Emergency Unlock Procedure due to electrical failure:
* insert key into passenger door lock
* lift and hold handle up while turning key to emergency unlock position until lock pin rises
* it may take more grunt to lift the door pin since there is no electrical assist
(sometimes you also may have to "pump" the handle several times while turning the key)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_366.jpg

Booster
10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Have you ever seen the "emergency unlock procedure" outlined in the owners manual, and posted on the board?

Here it is reprinted again :D :

Emergency Unlock Procedure due to electrical failure:
* insert key into passenger door lock
* lift and hold handle up while turning key to emergency unlock position until lock pin rises
* it may take more grunt to lift the door pin since there is no electrical assist
(sometimes you also may have to "pump" the handle several times while turning the key)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_366.jpg

Thanks for posting that info Qsilver7 ! I'm sure at SOME point of ownership this may well come in handy.It seems I never read the manual till I have too !
Vinny ;)

jplacson
10-31-2005, 11:52 AM
AHHAHAHAHA.... I was thinking more along the lines of...

no tint... open jewelry box in back seat... electrified car.

hehehe... kinda like those mosquito killer lamps.

bwahahahaha... wake up the next morning with all these dead thugs around your car.

genphreak
10-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for posting that info Qsilver7 ! I'm sure at SOME point of ownership this may well come in handy.It seems I never read the manual till I have too! Vinny ;)Coolest thing out, that system. Takes a while to get the feel right, but it always comes as a great relief to be able to get back inside...

CheapCheap1
10-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Ummm, you forgot to set up & activate a "booby trap" as well...!
:D

Parking for the night at my place... double lock, code, aftermarket alarm, fork club, remove radio face, lock glovebox, lock trunk (manual position)... finally... camp out by window with rifle and night-scope.