PDA

View Full Version : E34 525i Identification

Oger
10-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi All

I recently bought a J reg (92 I think) E34 525i. I use the car for track days etc, and so am looking for some upgrades, but I am having trouble identifying the model.

I want to buy a set of uprated springs and dampers, but there is a kit for the standard car and one for an "M-technic".................... and I dunno what that is.

The car has an M50 engine, and there are M badges on the steering wheel and gear knob, but not on teh boot. The car has a body kit with side skirts and boot and front spoilers. (it looks factory fitted)

So how can I tell if my car is an "M-technic" or not................. and does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get a decent lowering kit.

Thanks

Oger

shogun
10-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Maybe you add your car model, engine, manual (i) or automatic trans (iA) and moth/year built into your profile. You can find that out with the last 7 digits of your chassis number, and then click my website below and look for VIN decoder. There you will find the exact month/year, engine type, trans type and other info.
Where do you come from? Country/region? This is a worldwide board. So depending on where you live we can give some advice where to buy.
Also do a search on top for BMW online vendor list.

uscharalph
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi All

I recently bought a J reg (92 I think) E34 525i. I use the car for track days etc, and so am looking for some upgrades, but I am having trouble identifying the model.

I want to buy a set of uprated springs and dampers, but there is a kit for the standard car and one for an "M-technic".................... and I dunno what that is.

The car has an M50 engine, and there are M badges on the steering wheel and gear knob, but not on teh boot. The car has a body kit with side skirts and boot and front spoilers. (it looks factory fitted)

So how can I tell if my car is an "M-technic" or not................. and does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get a decent lowering kit.

Thanks

Oger
If you enter your last 7 digit of the VIN @ www.realoem.com, it will tell you a lot about your BMW.

Oger
10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
OK

I've adapted my profile, but to re-cap.

My car is a December 94 525i sport maual. (according to the V5 document). The last 7 digits of the VIN are BJ 10968.................. which according to the VIN decoder is an E39 M5, so no progress there eh??

Anyway, I'm still trying to find out if my car has M-technic suspension or not................... I don't even konw what M Technic means........... anf if my car does have M Technic suspension, what makes it different from a normal one....... and more importantly will a "normal" lowering kit fit on my car??

Hope someone can help

Oger

peks
10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
looks like that vin plate was taken from another car.. I wonder if your car or the other was stolen?

ArtemLepilov
10-31-2005, 03:36 PM
looks like that vin plate was taken from another car.. I wonder if your car or the other was stolen?

Yup, no other explanation for a database to be wrong... there is a way to identify it yourself... I remember looking at a JPEG image r soemthing on a website - basically every digit means something, it has the information about your engine etc... It cannot be wrong like that.

peks
10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
by the way i think your real vin can be found on each panel. the easiest place is prob on the front fenders. open the hood and there should be a sticker with the vin running alongside the weatherstripping.

also i think its on the info sticker on the drivers door when you open it

Oger
10-31-2005, 03:47 PM
LOOK

I might drive it like I stole it............. but I paid good money for the car............. 900 squid in fact!!!! :P

Anyhoo, the VIN on the chassis matches the V5 (UK reg document), as well as the MOT certificates back to 1998, plus the car has a full BMW service history, so Im pretty confident they screwd that plate on at the facotry.

Oger

Alexlind123
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Maybe the engine was changed out and the owner changed the 535i or 518i or M5 badge to a 535i badge. Or perhaps the car was stolen and the badge was changed to fool the authorities.