PDA

View Full Version : Battery discharge question

Black 535i
10-27-2005, 04:42 AM
I have started a new job in Chicago and do not have to drive my car on a daily basis anymore. In fact it will sit in the garage from Sunday night until Saturday morning. Is there anything I should be concerned about battery wise or power wise after a five day a week sit? Should I get a charger to plug in or is this overkill? My new job is even paying for my transit costs on the Metra rail system so there is no reason to take the car into the city. I'll miss it but I will not miss the $200.00/month gas bills.

SRR2
10-27-2005, 07:35 AM
No problem for a battery in good condition that has the opportunity to charge fully on the days you drive the car, especially since your car is in some kind of a sheltered area. As long as the car elex are operating properly, the standby drain is in the order of a couple tens of milliamps. This rate of discharge will drain the batter in a time scale of months, not days.

Bill R.
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
everything has shut down and the general module has gone to sleep mode. If it wakes up periodically the draw increases to 400 to 600 milliamps. The e34's were shipped over from the factory with battery isolating switches on them that are removed before the car was sold.. the switches increase the storage time from 6 to 12 weeks for the battery... but if it were mine and it were an older car I be most likely to get a float type battery charger like you use on a boat or rv to maintain charge and use that... Here's a typical float type charger strictly for maintaining a battery that sits for long periods
(http://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler.htm)

I have started a new job in Chicago and do not have to drive my car on a daily basis anymore. In fact it will sit in the garage from Sunday night until Saturday morning. Is there anything I should be concerned about battery wise or power wise after a five day a week sit? Should I get a charger to plug in or is this overkill? My new job is even paying for my transit costs on the Metra rail system so there is no reason to take the car into the city. I'll miss it but I will not miss the $200.00/month gas bills.

uscharalph
10-27-2005, 11:33 AM
everything has shut down and the general module has gone to sleep mode. If it wakes up periodically the draw increases to 400 to 600 milliamps. The e34's were shipped over from the factory with battery isolating switches on them that are removed before the car was sold.. the switches increase the storage time from 6 to 12 weeks for the battery... but if it were mine and it were an older car I be most likely to get a float type battery charger like you use on a boat or rv to maintain charge and use that... Here's a typical float type charger strictly for maintaining a battery that sits for long periods
(http://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler.htm)
Good info.

632 Regal
10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
15 bux! good price, I had one of them battery tenders and it fried after 1 year...thanks for this link.

632 Regal
10-27-2005, 01:12 PM
this sux...

**THE ITEM ORDERED IS ON BACKORDER
WE EXPECT TO SHIP IN APPROXIMATELY 30 DAYS
The total amount of your order will be calculated
and a copy of your invoice and credit card receipt
will be placed in the box with your order.
In the event that your order contains any back-ordered
or "special order" items that need to be manufactured,
we will wait until the completion of your entire order
before shipping your order.
If you have requested *express* shipping on back-ordered
or "special order" items that need to be manufactured,
we will wait until the completion of your entire order
before express shipping your order, as stated on our
order form.
Thank you,
The Sales Team at
Lectric Limited, Inc.