PDA

View Full Version : what's the right oil for my car?-online guide

shogun
10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
That is a good one. You have to select some criteria, your mileage, ambient temperature, a guided selection or not, car still under warranty or not etc.

But I always new it: 10W 40 is the best for my car.

Give it a try and let me know what's the result. Maybe they recommend something different because you live in a warmer or colder area.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Home/Homepage.aspx

liquidtiger720
10-27-2005, 12:26 AM
The company that manufactures your vehicle recommends this Mobil 1® product, or has a special requirement.

Current Vehicle:
Year: 1995
Make: BMW
Model: 525i
Engine Type: 6cyl. 2.5Liter

View printable
Mobil 1 0W-40
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 0W-40 with SuperSyn Technology exceeds industry standards and the major leading builder requirements, enabling the product to keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 is recommended by leading car manufacturers as initial fill.

DueyT
10-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Yup, same as in the car right now, Mobil 1 0W40...I thought there wouild be more options for climate, to be honest.

uscharalph
10-27-2005, 01:12 AM
That is a good one. You have to select some criteria, your mileage, ambient temperature, a guided selection or not, car still under warranty or not etc.

But I always new it: 10W 40 is the best for my car.

Give it a try and let me know what's the result. Maybe they recommend something different because you live in a warmer or colder area.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Home/Homepage.aspx
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-40 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 37 percent more cleaning agents, and 36 percent more anti-wear additives than Mobil 1.

That's what was recommended for mine also, but if I recall correctly it was hard to find. I went with the 15W-50.

Zeuk in Oz
10-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Interesting site as usual Erich, however it does not ask how hot ones climate is, only how cold.
I would suggest using the mobil site for your own country as this will perhaps factor in climate and which oils are actually available in your country.
In Oz they recommend Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 for my F 250 diesel and on that site they recommend a truck oil that we don't have.