PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again... On my own?

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Well... I believe I have a pretty big problem over here, called... A HEATER CORE LEAK.

Yup, thats right, that musky smell inside the car was.. antifreeze, so now I would like some info on how to deal with it. Anyone had experience? I believe, this is a biggie. It could be a hose or something but theres something in/near a core.

PS - Can I use an E28 core or any other? which are interchangeable?

-Artem

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Well... I believe I have a pretty big problem over here, called... A HEATER CORE LEAK.

Yup, thats right, that musky smell inside the car was.. antifreeze, so now I would like some info on how to deal with it. Anyone had experience? I believe, this is a biggie. It could be a hose or something but theres something in/near a core.

-Artem
Do a search. It's been discussed several times over.

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
yep big problem but is do-able. Get a brand new core made for the correct car, once you get into this you will realize that you wont want to do it again. You pretty much have to tear the whole dash out to get to it. There is a good write up on the subject from a couple years ago, maybe someone has the link for you.

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
yep big problem but is do-able. Get a brand new core made for the correct car, once you get into this you will realize that you wont want to do it again. You pretty much have to tear the whole dash out to get to it. There is a good write up on the subject from a couple years ago, maybe someone has the link for you.
That can't be you Jeff. Everything's spelled right. New keyboard?

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM

-Artem
Take a look at this link: http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Take a look at this link: http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm
By the way I found that link by doing a simple search.

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
at work, have light and the other $5.00 keyboard, I think someone spilled a soda in the one at home and forgot to tell me...gonna soak her down when I get home tonight.

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Yea, i found that link before... but the interior of that car looks like it is a little difernt than the one im my E34. In my car the CD-player in the center console is a part of the console, but in the car on the pics it seems to be sepate... Just had a hunch it was different, but I suppose its the same car... So basically I need to get a new core. Anyone knows a good place? BMA/Used Places?

I wanted to see if anyone replaced their heater core and all... My major reason for the post...

-Artem

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Yea, i found that link before... but the interior of that car looks like it is a little difernt than the one im my E34. In my car the CD-player in the center console is a part of the console, but in the car on the pics it seems to be sepate... Just had a hunch it was different, but I suppose its the same car... So basically I need to get a new core. Anyone knows a good place? BMA/Used Places?

I wanted to see if anyone replaced their heater core and all... My major reason for the post...

-Artem
You do not want to go used. You only want to do this job once. Call BMA, and get new parts. You might not know exactly what's leaking until you get in there. I plan on replacing everything when I do mine.

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM

-Artem
Then just say so.

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Then just say so.

I did... kinda :p

Anyway... I guess i will need to replace the heater core and a couple of hoses and whatnot... Going to take the dash apart as soon as the door will be done (i need to replace the latch...)

-Artem

Rob
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Almost everything. ;)

RobPatt
10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
...he's got the Dinan S4 bypass thing going on... not very ideal for comfort in the winter though, but don't know where you live, but can get you a short term hose bypass until time to tear into the project....

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 07:51 PM
...he's got the Dinan S4 bypass thing going on... not very ideal for comfort in the winter though, but don't know where you live, but can get you a short term hose bypass until time to tear into the project....

Thanks, I might consider it a temp solution :)

But i live in new england.... sooo its gonna be a rough winter.. haha

-Artem

Kalevera
10-26-2005, 10:37 PM
It's an 8 hour job for a novice, baby...and you're good enough to take apart a door, so don't worry about this one. If you're worried about losing parts or misplacing stuff, ziplock baggie and label everything, maybe even order it numerically, and put it back together in order.

I use a folger's can these days. Upsets my coworkers, but oh well. I'm pretty good at putting things back together. ETK also helps in a clinch.

And, uh...as others have said -- NEW heater core, good quality. Replace everything you can while in there..unless you want to do it again ;)

Whitesnake only had one good song, anyway.

best, whit

ArtemLepilov
10-27-2005, 08:19 AM
It's an 8 hour job for a novice, baby...and you're good enough to take apart a door, so don't worry about this one. If you're worried about losing parts or misplacing stuff, ziplock baggie and label everything, maybe even order it numerically, and put it back together in order.

I use a folger's can these days. Upsets my coworkers, but oh well. I'm pretty good at putting things back together. ETK also helps in a clinch.

And, uh...as others have said -- NEW heater core, good quality. Replace everything you can while in there..unless you want to do it again ;)

Whitesnake only had one good song, anyway.

best, whit

Nice! I will get a new heater core sometime within a few months maybe... I feel like I will need to spend about $5-600 more on the car But it will be worth it :D

Incidentally that is the only Whitesnake song i got in my playlist and i have over 10k songs over there :P of all kinds... haha (u can PM Me if u want something ;)) (I Never said that, RIAA)

-Artem

slip
01-12-2006, 04:58 PM
could somebody please give me a rough idea of all the things that could go wrong with the heater core? Mines leaking so i bypassed it yesterday but i should probably get it fixed properly before winter (it's summer now) or it's gonna be hard getting the ice of the windows on those frosty mornings. Thanks.

Jay 535i
01-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I have the exact same problem with the foggy windscreen and the coolant smell. No fluid in the interior, though.

Since winter's half over I'm gonna wait it out until next year. It's more important to me to get the AC fixed (ouch!).

Is the "quick (http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/Quick1/quick1.html)" method suitable for replacing the whole core, or just the tubes and hoses?

Let us know how you end up solving the problem.

Jay 535i
01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Is the "quick (http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/Quick1/quick1.html)" method suitable for replacing the whole core, or just the tubes and hoses?

Bump.