PDA

View Full Version : High pitched whine from engine?

mkaareng
10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Today was the first day I had to scrape my windshield, and since this is North Dakota, it won't be the last. It was approximately 25 to 30 degrees this morning and I noticed a high-pitched whine coming from my engine at more than 2500RPMs. It sounded just like a turbo, but last time I checked I didn't have one under there...

It's a whistling sound, and rises quite dramatically at above 3,500RPM.

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Today was the first day I had to scrape my windshield, and since this is North Dakota, it won't be the last. It was approximately 25 to 30 degrees this morning and I noticed a high-pitched whine coming from my engine at more than 2500RPMs. It sounded just like a turbo, but last time I checked I didn't have one under there...

Hmm... sounds like a vacuum leak of some sort?

-Artem

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
fluids are thicker when cold, I would venture the power steering or transmission pump if its an automatic. You dont want to rev it over 3k rpms when cold.

pyro
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
alternator noise? through raido

winfred
10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
one of the belt rollers dried out and pissed off at the cold?

AllGo'n'Show
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I have the same thing in my 7 and am trying to hunt it down. I know what you mean, nothing at idle and aroudn 4,000 mine starts coming out of the hole big time.

Do you have rough idle sometimes? I think it may be a vacuum leak or intake leak of some sort, thats the least of my concerns right nwo but if I figure it out then I will let you know!

mkaareng
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Mine is a manual. Thanks for the help. Vacuum leak sounds plausible.

ArtemLepilov
10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
If its a vacuum leak, that becomes louder as you give it more throttle i suggest inspecting the hoses that go up to the throttlebody and possibly the ICV lines... Check the airbox and see if anything cloged up in there. (If you havent done so before)

-Artem

MTechnik540i
10-27-2005, 10:24 PM

Double check to make sure there's none of these hanging around the engine bay...

uscharalph
10-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Double check to make sure there's none of these hanging around the engine bay...
I think this: these

shouyld be like this: http://members.aol.com/blwn2kgt/images/supercharger-7-re.jpg these

Kalevera
10-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Sure it's not belt squeal? Entirely probable given the M30 and Vbelts.

A quick way to check the vacuum on the M30 is to pull the dipstick or oil fill cap. Idle should get very rough as the engine runs at atmospheric, then return to normal when closed. Not entirely failsafe, doesn't beat a vacuum gauge, but it'll tell you if there's a major air leak.

best, whit