PDA

View Full Version : Finally...it died.

billb
10-26-2005, 08:53 AM
The original BMW battery in my wife's 1995 525, that is. The battery was a Douglas, built week 17 of 1994. Car build date is 05/94. To my knowledge, the car has only been jump-started once, when my wife left her keys in the ignition at church.

Wifey called me at 9:15 this morning, on her way out with tiny-tot. She said "Is there any reason why my battery would be dead this morning?" Car was parked in the garage, and outside temps were around 39F. I had been fiddling with the car last night, installing the childseat back in the car, fixing a squeak in the right rear door handle, topping off coolant, etc. but nothing related to the battery. All doors were closed.

Autozone is on my way home, so I went ahead and stopped in to pick up a Group 49-DL. I knew the battery was old, but not HOW old.

OBC voltage (test 9) showed about 8.9 volts.

Out came the old battery (I didn't test it hooked up), in went the new, with a slight modification to the diameter of the lower hold-down (the new battery is longer and slightly wider). Total job time was 35 minutes from the time I got home to the time she was on the road.

OBC voltage (test 9) after new battery was 14.2 volts running.

Old battery tested 12.4 volts with no load. I'm taking it by this afternoon to let Autozone check it out, but if it's good, I'll keep it. My bet is it's gone, with that kind of age on it. The new battery spun the car up very quickly, so that in itself is worth it.

Torque
10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I was scared for a moment that the actual car died.

ArtemLepilov
10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
A 10 year old battery!!! WOW. We should have a poll who had a longer lasting battery :D

-Artem

billb
10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
A 10 year old battery!!! WOW. We should have a poll who had a longer lasting battery :D

-Artem

If it was made week 17 of 1994, it would be around April 24 build for the battery. That would make it just a shade over 11.5 years old...

Awesome life, in my opinion!

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
it is pretty amazing how long these batteries last, I think it has a LOT to do with them not being directly subjected to the outside eliments. I changed mine out just because I didnt know how old the old one was...thing was too big to use in anything I own so I got the $5.00 core return. I know that thing was still good but for how long?

shragon
10-26-2005, 11:18 AM
pretty amazing, yes, but i wouldn't want to risk it. risk it, as in your car not starting when you need it to, which might leave you stranded, even maybe in a bad neighborhood.

i swap out my battery every 4-5 years regardless. i just rather know that my car will start. because once a battery is dead in a bimmer, it's really dead.

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
The original BMW battery in my wife's 1995 525, that is. The battery was a Douglas, built week 17 of 1994. Car build date is 05/94. To my knowledge, the car has only been jump-started once, when my wife left her keys in the ignition at church.

Wifey called me at 9:15 this morning, on her way out with tiny-tot. She said "Is there any reason why my battery would be dead this morning?" Car was parked in the garage, and outside temps were around 39F. I had been fiddling with the car last night, installing the childseat back in the car, fixing a squeak in the right rear door handle, topping off coolant, etc. but nothing related to the battery. All doors were closed.

Autozone is on my way home, so I went ahead and stopped in to pick up a Group 49-DL. I knew the battery was old, but not HOW old.

OBC voltage (test 9) showed about 8.9 volts.

Out came the old battery (I didn't test it hooked up), in went the new, with a slight modification to the diameter of the lower hold-down (the new battery is longer and slightly wider). Total job time was 35 minutes from the time I got home to the time she was on the road.

OBC voltage (test 9) after new battery was 14.2 volts running.

Old battery tested 12.4 volts with no load. I'm taking it by this afternoon to let Autozone check it out, but if it's good, I'll keep it. My bet is it's gone, with that kind of age on it. The new battery spun the car up very quickly, so that in itself is worth it.
That is truly amazing (I know these cars are hard on batteries)! 11.5 years!

zygoteer
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I replaced my battery 3 months ago, but was dated week 42 1989.
It has spent the 4 years prior to my ownership, without major discharge, only being started once a month or so, otherwise on constant trickle charge.

romus
10-26-2005, 05:46 PM
now, how do u test voltage?? I know how to make the OBC display TEST, and i know the codes for tank quantity, real time speed, voltage etc...but once i have, say voltage - 09 on the display, what do i press to get the read out??? If i press the r/c or whatever, it cancels the whole test thing and goes to whatever was on before...

thanks

Zeuk in Oz
10-26-2005, 05:48 PM
I presume the battery was under the rear seat ?
There is no way a battery subjected to the heat of the engine bay would last that long, I would think.

billb
10-26-2005, 06:22 PM
now, how do u test voltage?? I know how to make the OBC display TEST, and i know the codes for tank quantity, real time speed, voltage etc...but once i have, say voltage - 09 on the display, what do i press to get the read out??? If i press the r/c or whatever, it cancels the whole test thing and goes to whatever was on before...

thanks

It works every time on mine. I think I press S/R (whatever the button is to the right of the display)

romus
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
yes that's right. I get it all the way and then pressing S/R seems to cancel it. I've tried with the ignition in position 2 (car off) and with the car running - don't remember if results were identical but definitelly didnt work either way.

Thanks for replying anyway :)