PDA

View Full Version : Dich Schneiders, what are the problems you have had with your 525's

Phil Sanderson
03-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I can't say that I have had too many in 13 years.

Dick Schneiders
03-05-2004, 12:25 PM
The one that I have had for over 4 years had to have the lower control arms replaced and also new brake rotors. It also had an aux water pump go bad. Such stuff like a new oil pressure sensor and oil level sensor, which were minor. I had to replace a sensor in the auto tranny because of intermittent Trans Program messages, but the tranny always worked fine. This cost several hundred dollars. The most significant repair was to fix a very small leak in the auto tranny. A seal had to be replaced and it cost about $800. Oh, I forgot one that was even more. The A/C compressor went bad and I had it replaced at the BMW dealer which was quite expensive - over $1,200, as I recall.

The other 1991 525i that we bought a couple of years ago has had a lot fewer problems. I had a water pump go bad and that is about it, other than really minor stuff like a power steering fluid leak. The engine on it has been chattering after it is really warmed up, and I suspect that one of the valves is sticking. Since they are not adjustable, I might have to get them replaced.

I love these cars, both because they are fun to drive and still very reliable even after many miles and 13 years.

Dick Schneiders (2, 1991 525i's)

I can't say that I have had too many in 13 years.

Phil Sanderson
03-06-2004, 01:48 AM
I still could not think of replacing my 525 yet, I think it will have to die before I will want to. It's been a very reliable car and apart from the usual brake replacements and normal upkeep I've only had a couple of breakdowns such as the rear seal in the auto trans. and the air cond. receiver dryer (I think that's what it is called). I am hoping the '93 540 we bought 6 months ago will be as reliable as the 525 has been.