PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a spare tranny computer for a '91 535i???

Robert K
10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Most of the time, the auto tranny in my 1991 535i shifts fine. However, occassionally I get the "Trans program" message. It's rather inconvenient and annoying, so I'm taking another shot at some fixes. Per an old Bill R. post, he identified that some of the soldier joints in the tranny computer can crack or have problems. Opened mine up tonight and noticed some places that didn't look to good. I resoldiered the joints, but figured if I could pick a spare up, I might replace mine. If anyone has an extra from a parts car or from a auto-to-manual trans swap, I'd appreciate an e-mail stating what you'd like to have for it. Mine had two stickers that had the following numbers on them: black sticker- 0 260 002 150 & 1 218 816 DW. The white sticker had: 1218816; 810; 265A1158; 1746000289.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

632 Regal
10-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey Robert!

Been while since I saw your gentle soul out here, hope all is well.

Try to contact Brett, he hordes most parts from the cars he strips and chances are he should have a few laying around.

Good luck and it's a pleasure to see your around again!

Kalevera
10-25-2005, 11:16 PM
I should have one in about a week. PM me if you still need it....after monday?!

best, whit

Bill R.
10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
you'll find that they are all pretty much the same as yours as far as cracked solder joints... I've opened up a couple of them on customers cars since i did mine and they all tend to crack on the relay solder joints since the relay is a moving part ... All that i have soldered have worked just fine though.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp%20copy.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp1%20copy.jpg

Most of the time, the auto tranny in my 1991 535i shifts fine. However, occassionally I get the "Trans program" message. It's rather inconvenient and annoying, so I'm taking another shot at some fixes. Per an old Bill R. post, he identified that some of the soldier joints in the tranny computer can crack or have problems. Opened mine up tonight and noticed some places that didn't look to good. I resoldiered the joints, but figured if I could pick a spare up, I might replace mine. If anyone has an extra from a parts car or from a auto-to-manual trans swap, I'd appreciate an e-mail stating what you'd like to have for it. Mine had two stickers that had the following numbers on them: black sticker- 0 260 002 150 & 1 218 816 DW. The white sticker had: 1218816; 810; 265A1158; 1746000289.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Robert K
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
There were actually about 7-8 other joints that looked a little flaky. They almost looked like someone had been in there before with a soldiering iron. I tried to touch them up and add a little soldier to a couple of joints, but I always worry I'm going to leave a stray trace on the board and short it out. I did drive the car to work this morning and it shifted fine with no message. But I don't trust that to be the end of it. This problem always rears its ugly head now and again. I may take a stab at installing the new trans speed sensor I have this weekend. I probably also need to check the seal of the main connector at the trans and make certain fluid is not leaking into the connector.

It's good to hear from you again and as always, thanks for the excellent help, advice, illustrations, photos, etc. I don't frequent the board near as much anymore...changing life and priorities. But I do try to reply to things I know about when I do check in.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i (still for sale)