PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid

Dr. evil
10-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Stupid me filled up the power steering resivore with power steering fluid. Soo i had to drain and flush it out. the problem is that i don't know witch type of ATF fluid to use. Does Anyone know witch one to use???

Bill R.
10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
mercon. If its a touring with the self leveling rear suspension then you'll need to use pentosin fluid either chf 7 or 11 depending on what the cap states.

Stupid me filled up the power steering resivore with power steering fluid. Soo i had to drain and flush it out. the problem is that i don't know witch type of ATF fluid to use. Does Anyone know witch one to use???

Dr. evil
10-25-2005, 12:27 PM
It is a 525i 91 without self leveling, The cap says CHF 7 but i don't know where to find it.

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
It is a 525i 91 without self leveling, The cap says CHF 7 but i don't know where to find it.
Parts store? LOL!!

Bill R.
10-25-2005, 12:42 PM

Qsilver7
10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
since its a BMW, I'd start with your local BMW Parts dept...then I'd try the local Mercedes Benz, Audi/Porsche/Volkswagon dealerships since these marques also sold cars that used Pentosin hydraulic fluid. Don't take no for an answer if that answer rolls right off their tongue after a slight pause. Pentosin doesn't jump off the shelf, and just because it's not familiar to the young counter clerk, doesn't mean it's not on the shelf. If they have their parts system computerized...then have then enter Pentosin...then let them tell you if they have it or not. (that's from experience) :p

After that...try the online vendors.

http://www.pentosin.de/grafik/produkte/chf7.jpg
PENTOSIN CHF 7.1 is a special hydraulic fluid on mineraloil basis with typical functions, such as level control, shock absorbing, power steering etc. Due to the broad temperature range - operating from -40° C up to + 100° C - Pentosin CHF 7.1 is especially suitable in regions of cold climate. Its use is especially recommended for vehicles of older construction.

http://www.pentosin.de/grafik/produkte/chf11s.jpg
PENTOSIN CHF 11S is a special synthetic hydraulic fluid with an even more extended temperature range -40° C up to min. 130° C., within which perfect operating is guaranteed. Due to this fact Pentosin CHF 11S is especially suitable for a variety of hydraulic network and steerings of latest vehicle developments, where the applied fluid has a direct influence on safety and driving comfort.Pentosin CHF 11S guarantees a perfect operation of all hydraulic systems, such as power steering, rear axle steering, level control, hydropneumatic suspension, shock absorbers, active damping of engine fixtures, hydrostatic drive for fan, generator and air condition, stability and traction systems (ABS/ASR/ASC), electrohydraulic cabriolet top actuation, central locking systems etc.

genphreak
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
My car specifies Dexron II in the power steering resovoir. As I will have some spare Castrol Transmax Z (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/a/AU_Castrol_Transmax_Z.pdf) (their synthetic Dexron III replacement) left over after this weekend's tranny filter and fluid change- does anyone know if there is anything wrong with using this in the power steering system?

I doubt it, but all opinions are hereby requested :)

ps- Here is a real nice pic (http://www.sibcastrol.ru/2005/castrol/TRANSMAX%20Z.gif) of it, but the actual cost of this quantity would be 'interesting' :D, a 4L bottle cost me over AUD$60

632 Regal
10-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Have you tried bacon grease? Emeril swears by it.

My car specifies Dexron II in the power steering resovoir. As I will have some spare Castrol Transmax Z (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/a/AU_Castrol_Transmax_Z.pdf) (their synthetic Dexron III replacement) left over from my recent tranny filter and fluid change- does anyone know if there is anything wrong with using this in the power steering system? I doubt it, but all opinions are hereby requested :)

genphreak
10-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Have you tried bacon grease? Emeril swears by it.What do you use Jeff, a mixture of bovine manure and that small number of other short posts you would otherwise throw away as they don't pass your high publishing standards?

Have I the wrong end of the stick here... who's Emeril btw? :)

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 11:57 PM
What do you use Jeff, a mixture of bovine manure and that small number of other short posts you would otherwise throw away as they don't pass your high publishing standards?

Have I the wrong end of the stick here... who's Emeril btw? :)
You're kidding right?

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 11:58 PM
You're kidding right?
Bang!!

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Bang!!
Or is it POW!!

genphreak
10-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Or is it POW!!(Nick searching the web) ...some hero of the (rapidly expanding) fat-ass class that uses too much LARD in his cooking? You have to be kidding me...

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 12:19 AM
its "BAM!"

Emirel the famous chef that sooo good he dont have to cook but push his gormet powders and **** on the public in most every un-antiquated store

genphreak
10-26-2005, 12:21 AM
its "BAM!"

Emirel the famous chef that sooo good he dont have to cook but push his gormet powders and **** on the public in most every un-antiquated store(Chortles). Well I never heard of him!!! Somehow I bet my mum's cooking beats his though, she is freakin' amazing at contemporary euro cuisines. These days she leaves out the fats though :( its a fair bit better for all of us!

But I'll have a couple of litres of well-aged Dexron coming up soon....

Dr. evil
10-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Well I live in roswell and there aren't too many import part stores.I tryed dextron III but it just bubbled up and turned pink hopedfully i haven't broken anything yet. So it's eather drive to albuquerquue or try and get some on line.
Thanks for the info.
Cooking grease????

Rigmaster
10-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Well I live in roswell and there aren't too many import part stores.I tryed dextron III but it just bubbled up and turned pink hopedfully i haven't broken anything yet. So it's eather drive to albuquerquue or try and get some on line.
Thanks for the info.
Cooking grease????

Dr Evil,

I don't want to be chicken little (the sky is falling!!!) here, but you probably don't want to run Dexron III in that system if it specifies Pentosin CHF 7..... I can't say specifically what the incompatibility may be, but they are not compatible. The CHF 7 stuff is expensive, but that's just another reason to make sure your PS system is not leaking!! If there are any VW/Audi shops around, call them- they are likely to have it.

Bret.

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Roswell new mexico where they make UFO's?
You dont want to use the wrong fliud, it can ruin the internal seals and O rings and stuff. What's it say on the cap??

Thanks for the info.
Cooking grease????

Dr. evil
10-26-2005, 12:15 PM
the cap says CHF 7.1 but it says it the service manual that you can use AFT But it doesn't say with type, so if i were to use an AFT What type would be the best to use? Maybe a multi purpose.
Being as i would like to drive my car in the next week.
VW And Audi shops are about 200 miles away

CTR Crazy town Roswell NM

angrypancake
10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Roswell? The answer is simple then! Get the freakin aliens to beam you up some super Pentosin.

uscharalph
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Roswell? The answer is simple then! Get the freakin aliens to beam you up some super Pentosin.
LOL!!! The aliens drive BMW's?

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 01:31 PM
you dont want to use ATF man, order some off the net. You will want to flush that stuff out several times so get enough to do that too.

the cap says CHF 7.1 but it says it the service manual that you can use AFT But it doesn't say with type, so if i were to use an AFT What type would be the best to use? Maybe a multi purpose.

Rigmaster
10-26-2005, 01:36 PM

I would trust the cap 100% over what it says in the manual.

You really should think about draining whats in there and refilling with the correct stuff (CHF 7). Or, you can look forward to replacing some $$$ parts in the not-so-distant future.

Bret.

radarjeremy
10-26-2005, 01:38 PM
I agree, even though the pentosin is hard to find it is well worth it to avoid blowing out your seals and such. Funny enough I found some pentosin at a tiny little napa store that was off the main drag, they had a total of two bottles of 7.1 and 11.1, at about 32$ a bottle. bought both bottles of the 11.1 stuff. Seek and ye shall find.

angrypancake
10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
LOL!!! The aliens drive BMW's?

If I was an alien I would. They obviously need something reliable for long distances, with ample comfort. Obvious choice is a BMW! A light-speed M5 would be pretty sick.

InfernoM3
10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey guys,

I am having power steering problems. makes a groaning noise when turning hard U or pulling into the garage sometimes. My hoses are leaking and i bought new ones from BMA Res to Pump. Do I need to drain the reservior prior to changing hoses And how much Fluid do I need to refill. I used dexron III last time.

632 Regal
10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
6?

MBXB
10-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Dr. evil

If the local import shops dont have CHF 7.1,
Try Patrick at BMA. They can get stuff to you pretty quickly:

(888) BMA-3911
(888) 262-3911

Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm PST
Saturday
9:30am - 1:30pm PST

Qsilver7
10-26-2005, 06:15 PM
LOL!!! The arabians drive BMW's?
Apparently 11 out of 15 do! :D :D :D

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/feaqs/original/living%20large.jpg

Dr. evil
10-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Thax for the info guys, youv convinced me to wait a couple of days for the good stuff.
i think i'll see tomarrow if BMA can hook it up.

PS the aliens are kind of tight with their inventory