PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Arms? Only reason for 90kmph shakes?

Guelphguy
10-25-2005, 06:18 AM
I have a 1990 535i, with new this year 17" tsw rims, new 235/45R17 Herc Tires.
Bruno in early summer had replaced my Thrustarms with new Lemforder arms with the 750il bushing pressed in. I think it was always still there somewhat but may feel a little worse now? Not sure if I am just loosing it however....at exactly 90kmph till only about 95kmph i have the front end shakes.....95 to 160kmph...nothing smooth as silk :p .....anything else other than thrustarms??

Tiger
10-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Lower control arm... bushing is shot there too.

632 Regal
10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
out of round tires will do that too.

zuzuk212
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
When I did my thrust arm ... I had to do my sway bar end link as well because it was also shot ... so, also check those links.

Ken

Paul in NZ
10-25-2005, 03:08 PM
also check that you have hubcentic rings if you neeed them.When the wheel is on but the bolts not tight you should not have any play in the vertical plane...i mean you should not feel any movement up and down or back to front.I dont have rings on my car and ussually have the shake.You can eliminate by very careful tourquing of the bolts,but thats what rings do....always centralise the wheels on the hub.If your wheels are bent they can cause the shake too,put the two best on the front

genphreak
10-27-2005, 04:31 AM
I have a 1990 535i, with new this year 17" tsw rims, new 235/45R17 Herc Tires.
Bruno in early summer had replaced my Thrustarms with new Lemforder arms with the 750il bushing pressed in. I think it was always still there somewhat but may feel a little worse now? Not sure if I am just loosing it however....at exactly 90kmph till only about 95kmph i have the front end shakes.....95 to 160kmph...nothing smooth as silk :p .....anything else other than thrustarms??Mine only does it coming down hills braking hard. Does this make a difference to your shakes? My tyres and wheels are fine, no hubcentric rings needed (with these rims) and I had new thrusts put in with Grunts bushings (which stopped them shaking except in the above condition). Since then it has gone from better to worse again, so I have new lower arms to put in as I suspect their bushes are gone. I am sure my ties rods and centre rod are not that old, that they were handled by the Previous Owner. Perhaps the idler arm bush has to go too..

:) Nick