PDA

View Full Version : Brakes, pads and rotors in MN?

Never Summer
10-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Who should I contact for brake parts here in Minneapolis? Or should I order from out of state?

Kalevera
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
http://www.bmaparts.com

But, CALL them. Talk to Patrick. Mention .info and get an even better price. Their web site is usually not indicative of what they'll charge, anyway.

best, whit

Never Summer
10-25-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.bmaparts.com

But, CALL them. Talk to Patrick. Mention .info and get an even better price. Their web site is usually not indicative of what they'll charge, anyway.

best, whit

Thanks Dude! I'll call them. Nice Ride!

partshelp
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks Dude! I'll call them. Nice Ride!
Actually, that is not 100% true. At BMA, the prices tend to be lower if you call but you have to pay for shipping, which costs by the weight. That's why it is always better to order heavy items online from BMA to get the free shipping. And when you call BMA, they will always tell you that.

By the way, Pat is not the only one there. Yves, Taylor & Doug are all great as well. Yves is Patrick's brother.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or email them, but in re: to above, just wanted to comment. I IM to Taylor parts questions all the time.

Never Summer
10-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the info. I may contact them. I'm not sure what to do cause, I like to drive vehicles with decent working parts, for safety reasons and for fun clean driving. Anyway, to make a long story short, my Beamer is my secondary vehicle and the wife wants me to sell it. I've only had it for a short time, and I have put some money in it and fixed AC/Heat, and new exhaust/piping/converter/muffler system. But of course I have become attached to this car. In the mean time, the brakes are ok, but will probably need pads and rotors soon, and I could use some decent tires. The guy I bought it from can get parts cheap too, so I was just checking my options and tested this forum, as I am a newby to this stuff. Thanks

I'll stop now!

Kalevera
10-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Just so you know, it's "bimmer" in the states. A "beamer" is a BMW motorcycle. Opposite applies everywhere else.

Let me warn you about "cheap" parts. They're...uh..cheap for a reason. Stick to OEM/dealer parts with this car. It's not a chevy, and lord knows the people in China and Mexico manage to mess up parts for that marque -- can you imagine what they can do to something related to a BMW?

best, whit

Never Summer
10-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks - now I know. I'm obviously new to this forum thing and as you can tell I don't really know alot about cars either! Bimmer in the States OK. Is that pronounced same way "Beamer"?

Regarding cheap parts, I knew that was the wrong thing to say, and after I wrote it, I knew it would be taken the wrong way. At least I can appreciate a nice car, and what I meant was very high tech parts made for the vehicle at the lowest cost possible. I definetly know the difference between American vehicles vs. foreign. And I know by personnel experience that China uses some cheap ass metals. (Bearings blew out on my little mini bike, and new China model bearing $2 suck steel and good German I think? made bearings $10 a pop, but obviously stronger steel).

By the way my other car is a Black 99 VW Passat with a custom front end! I have a good relationship with the dude that sells these vehicles to me, and he specializes in Audi and VW. Are those vehicles a bad thing to talk about on a BMW forum?

Later, Team Never Summer

peks
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey never summer

im the guy you talked to at the gas station on sunday.. did you ever find a source for your exhaust?

uscharalph
10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you for the info. I may contact them. I'm not sure what to do cause, I like to drive vehicles with decent working parts, for safety reasons and for fun clean driving. Anyway, to make a long story short, my Beamer is my secondary vehicle and the wife wants me to sell it. I've only had it for a short time, and I have put some money in it and fixed AC/Heat, and new exhaust/piping/converter/muffler system. But of course I have become attached to this car. In the mean time, the brakes are ok, but will probably need pads and rotors soon, and I could use some decent tires. The guy I bought it from can get parts cheap too, so I was just checking my options and tested this forum, as I am a newby to this stuff. Thanks

I'll stop now!
Don't sell!

Never Summer
10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey Dude! I was wondering when I might hear from you again. My first name is Davison. Never Summer is a snowboard manufacturer in Denver, CO and I like thier boards. So I pretend to be sponsered by them, because I spend so much money on thier products!

Anyway, as far as my exhaust system, I got scammed from Midas. But at least it sounds nice now. The piping was completely rusted off and not even attached to old mufflers. I went ahead and had them replace the whole system (piping, catalytic converter, mufflers, etc.) for big bucks!

But I have been in touch with the rig master (Bret), and he might be able to help with some odds and ends (trim, etc.) . Thanks for the contact information and this forum thing is cool, huh? I hope I can keep my BMW for a while. Fun car, but could use lots of work. Do you drive yours through the winter months? I should probably invest in some decent all season radials.

Talk to ya later, Davison (Team Never Summer) !

Never Summer
10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah man, you know I want to keep it! I would love to put some more money into it and really clean it up, but I don't have endless funds. BMW's drive so nice and handle so well. It is worth way more than I could ever get for it. We shall see.

peks
10-27-2005, 12:18 PM
hey davison

i drive my car through the winter.. its not much for looks anymore after the body damage i got crashing it last fall. and its a ton of fun on the snow. rwd+snow=drive sideways everywhere and not buy new tires and suspension bits every week... maybe only every other.

did you buy your car from that vw repair shop off hwy 55 just outside loretto? i remember seeing an e34 same color as yours out there a while back.

btw, im a boarder too. whats the deal with never summer? one of the guys here at work is a crazy never summer guy too.. kind of a cult following or somethin.. Hehe.

Never Summer
10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes Bro - easy to get sideways with the RWD on any surface! Yes, I bought the car from Josh at S&L Imports on Hwy 55. Loretto. That is where I found my VW cars also. He's a nice guy and I think he is fair as far as repair or custom work. But he does not specialize in BMWs.

As far as Never Summer goes - definitely a cult following, especially in Colorado. These boards are bomb proof and have a 3 year warranty. Very stable, and built to ride anything, and make snowboarding easy. They have a unique shape and excell in deep powder also. Very expensive and some may say a little heavy, but I think they kick ass!

I bet your a Burton Rider? Nothing wrong with that. Do you ever get out west to ride the mountains?

My problem this season is that, the wife wants me to sell BMW so I have the money to cover my annual excursion(s) to CO.

peks
10-27-2005, 01:12 PM
actually i ride an m3 capwide right now. its on its last leg, back edge is about shot. been looking at a burton canyon. maybe i should check out never summer. we'll see how the sales are coming up here:) i make it to CO every winter at least once, usually aspen/snowmass. nountain riding is the best. we hit the little molehills here in mn for the parks every winter a couple times but that gets old real fast. nothing like 2-3 ft of powder in the mtns.

Never Summer
10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah M3 is cool, and so is Burton Canyon. It appears you like wide boards cause you have big feet. Check out the Never Summer Legacy at www.neversummer.com. They sell Never Summer Boards at Cal Surf in Uptown. They might even have a Legacy that is last years model for a little cheaper than the new ones. I ususally hit Summit County (A-Basin, Loveland, Breck, Keystone) and sometimes Vail and Winter Park! I like to hit the local hills around here too. I have a buddy (Burton Custom Boy) that usually rides with me around here, and my brother lives in Denver, the lucky bastard. Maybe we and your gang can ride around here someday. I like the cheap midweek ticket at Afton. Good parks at Hyland, and Buck and Wild etc. I like to get up to Spirit or Lutsen at least once a year also.

More on that subject later, got to go pick up kids from school