PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i 6 spd flywheel torque & pattern please

saluki540i
10-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and working on a car just purchased from my dad. My shop manual omitted anything about reinstallation of a flywheel or proper torque. I looked through the archives, but didn't notice anything specific to this. The car has 76,000 miles, and needed some attention... No offense dad. Things like leaky valve cover gaskets, oozing pwr. steering line from reservoir, etc. I'm looking forward to interacting with the forum from here in Southern Illinois. My other car hobby is the merkur xr4ti, of which I own two.
Thanks, Christophe Maskell

Kalevera
10-24-2005, 06:53 PM
105nm on the bolts. I use the star pattern, and if there are two rings of bolts (which there could be, I don't remember -- I could be confusing it with the friction surface/flywheel bolts), I do the inner set first, then the outer.

Best, whit

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and working on a car just purchased from my dad. My shop manual omitted anything about reinstallation of a flywheel or proper torque. I looked through the archives, but didn't notice anything specific to this. The car has 76,000 miles, and needed some attention... No offense dad. Things like leaky valve cover gaskets, oozing pwr. steering line from reservoir, etc. I'm looking forward to interacting with the forum from here in Southern Illinois. My other car hobby is the merkur xr4ti, of which I own two.
Welcome! Is your shop manual a Bentley? If not, you might look into getting one.

MBXB
10-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Get a Bently ASAP.

Are Quattro's and PK's still open?

Ramon

saluki540i
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Get a Bently ASAP.

Are Quattro's and PK's still open?

Ramon
You bet, just ate a quatros challenge the other day----so good.
is there a particular bently I should be looking for because the one I have didn't have any mention of the flywheel installation for the 540's

Thanks,
Chris

saluki540i
10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
105nm on the bolts. I use the star pattern, and if there are two rings of bolts (which there could be, I don't remember -- I could be confusing it with the friction surface/flywheel bolts), I do the inner set first, then the outer.

Best, whit

That is a sharp 535i. The predecessor to the 540 was a Zinnabar Red 535i w/ black interior and a 5 spd. I'd kill to have that car back, it was a beauty. Dad sold it in 98 for the 540 bought with 25k. The dual mass flywheel on this car has six bolts (pre-installed) on the part. Now all I need is a longer T55 socket to reach into the recesses. It's ok - I've got more time to look around under the car and do a real inspection along with waiting on all of the other parts I ordered to replace the corroded exhaust hardware.

Thanks again,

Christophe Maskell

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 08:39 PM
You bet, just ate a quatros challenge the other day----so good.
is there a particular bently I should be looking for because the one I have didn't have any mention of the flywheel installation for the 540's

Thanks,
Chris
There is only one Bentley for the 5 series. I don't know if that information is in there. I've never looked for it.