PDA

View Full Version : The car is running COOOOOOOOOOOOLD

aabdelhamid
10-24-2005, 01:32 PM
When doing my engine rebuild I changed the radiator, the water pump as well as most of the hoses that were damaged. I also changed the cooling fan clutch. The weird part is that now the car will not heat up, the temp is always betwee nthe blue mark and the first heat marck 1/4 of the way to the read. This is super cool, what could be the problem??? Is this normal, my mechanic claims this is because everything is new and the water cooling system is very efficient, but it simply does not make any engineering sense to me???? Help me out guys

granit_silber
10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
When doing my engine rebuild I changed the radiator, the water pump as well as most of the hoses that were damaged. I also changed the cooling fan clutch. The weird part is that now the car will not heat up, the temp is always betwee nthe blue mark and the first heat marck 1/4 of the way to the read. This is super cool, what could be the problem??? Is this normal, my mechanic claims this is because everything is new and the water cooling system is very efficient, but it simply does not make any engineering sense to me???? Help me out guys
That's the situation I'm dealing with right now!
Forums members pointed me to the thermostat being either "slow" or broken. What's happening is that the coolant isn't being allowed to bypass the raditor and return to cooling ducts in engine to pick up more heat.
Although I have this condition in my car, upon removal of the t-stat, I found that the stat wasn't broken at all.
Do you know how old the thermostat in your engine is? Was this replaced by your mechanic when he/she did the radiator stuff?
-ashley

632 Regal
10-24-2005, 01:40 PM
definetly a thermostat issue, the block and radiator bled good didnt it? How bout the upper hose is it hot?

E34-520iSE
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Is your car overheating? If so you'll have to REALLY bleed it - make sure all the hoses that connect to the heater matrix are hot - if not there's air in there!! Your car cannot run super-cool - you have a real problem there.

HTH,

Shaun

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
"the temp is always betwee nthe blue mark and the first heat marck 1/4 of the way to the read."

I'm not understanding. Is it running cool (Needle is to the left of straight up) or hot (to the right of straight up), The needle shouyd be staight up (12 o'clock).

romus
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
ralph, his needle is at 11 o'clock as i understand it..to the left of the middle...even lower than 11, coz he says its in between the blue mark and the first marking, thats still one and a half markings away from middle (12o'clock), meaning his temp only gets to about 25% instead of 50% of the gauge...

I also had a problem with a thermostat once, it was closed and wouldnt let the coolant run past it to the radiator. But my car was overheating! It would start hicking up, unable to move in long stand stills and after turning it off and trying to start again within an hour. Still i went on a 3000km trip with that issue haha...just pop the hood open when u pause or stand in traffic and your're good - for most of the times. ;) Annoying tho.

Arxon
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
I had almost the same problem and it was thermostat, one side was broken

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 07:42 PM
"the first heat marck 1/4 of the way to the read."

I thought his needle was approaching read (Red).

liquidtiger720
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Haha. I had the same problem...fix for mine was the thermostat. It was stuck OPEN.