PDA

View Full Version : Viscous Fan Coupling

t_marat
10-24-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi!
This viscous fan coupling, what is it for? I was told it adjusts the rotational speed of the fan based on temperature, right? The mechanic even stopped the fan with his finger and said mine is useless.

shogun
10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Oh yes, then it is totally useless
http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/FanClutchtest.pdf

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:09 AM
That's a great document, Shogun.

t_marat
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks Shogun

632 Regal
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
With the mentality of sticking fingers in the vacinity of a spinning fan, a new mechanic is in order.

The mechanic even stopped the fan with his finger and said mine is useless.

romus
10-24-2005, 04:47 PM
haha i dare him to stick a finger in my fan!

Kalevera
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi!
This viscous fan coupling, what is it for? I was told it adjusts the rotational speed of the fan based on temperature, right? The mechanic even stopped the fan with his finger and said mine is useless.
Actually, I regularly stop the VC fan when it's not "running" with my hand. Not on M70s, but...

If your mechanic intimated that the fact that he could stop it with his hand indicated that it was bad, you probably want to find a new shop for the car.

The oil in the coupling activates only after it has reached a certain temperature. They're supposed to run for a few seconds after the engine is started, then rotate freely until the engine bay gets hot enough to activate the clutch again.

best, whit

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
haha i dare him to stick a finger in my fan!
I'm going to check to see how many fingers my mechanic has. LOL!!

romus
10-24-2005, 07:55 PM
not many if he's as gifted as the one up there.

t_marat
10-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Actually, I regularly stop the VC fan when it's not "running" with my hand. Not on M70s, but...

If your mechanic intimated that the fact that he could stop it with his hand indicated that it was bad, you probably want to find a new shop for the car.

The oil in the coupling activates only after it has reached a certain temperature. They're supposed to run for a few seconds after the engine is started, then rotate freely until the engine bay gets hot enough to activate the clutch again.

best, whit

It was summer, and we had to drive to that shop, so the engine was rather hot.

Bill R.
10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
coming through the radiator fins and hitting the thermostatic coil on the front of the fan clutch has to be 82C +- 4C for the fan clutch to be engaged and when the air coming through the radiator cools to less than 60C it disengages
The fan clutch doesn't lock up 100% no matter what, there is always some slippage, however as some of the others have stated when the engine is cold and you first start it up you should be able to feel the air from it and hear the fan clutch engaged for the first 30 secs to a minute or so and then it should start to freewheel and get much quieter...If that doesn't happen on a cold motor then the odds are good that the fun clutch needs to be replaced.. also if you see dust are dirt sticking to the front of the fan clutch then its been leaking oil and should be replaced too.

It was summer, and we had to drive to that shop, so the engine was rather hot.

632 Regal
10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
so Bill would you stick your fingers into a fan?

Bill R.
10-25-2005, 09:41 AM
so Bill would you stick your fingers into a fan?

shogun
10-25-2005, 09:49 AM
hair and a cut finger were BMW technicians :p
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5342/yasan.gif

Yubitsume, the custom of finger-cutting, is also trademark Yakusa behaviour. Historically the top joint of the little finger was ceremoniously severed, signifying a weakening of the hand, which meant that the gambler could not hold his sword as firmly. Yubitsume was usually performed as an act of apology to the oyabun ( or elder), with further infractions seeing the severing of the next joint or the top section of another finger. Nowadays such self mutilation is an honour thing, usually done as the result of some sort of on the job blunder.

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
hair and a cut finger were BMW technicians :p
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5342/yasan.gif

Yubitsume, the custom of finger-cutting, is also trademark Yakusa behaviour. Historically the top joint of the little finger was ceremoniously severed, signifying a weakening of the hand, which meant that the gambler could not hold his sword as firmly. Yubitsume was usually performed as an act of apology to the oyabun ( or elder), with further infractions seeing the severing of the next joint or the top section of another finger. Nowadays such self mutilation is an honour thing, usually done as the result of some sort of on the job blunder.
Wow!!

romus
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
There you go, t_marat!

Your technicial isnt crazy at all...quite the opposite, he's a very honourable man who must have experienced a blunder at work that day. hehe