PDA

View Full Version : what could possibly do this sound...

pong
10-23-2005, 08:18 PM
there is this weird sound coming from the engine...

it sounds like metal tapping against each other...
it could be d valves needing adjustment...

but the problem is that there are times when there
is totally no tapping sound and everything works
fine

what the heck?

shogun
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Remove the valve cover and inspect the camshaft.

Alexlind123
10-23-2005, 08:47 PM
My engine is definitely louder when it is hot than when it is cool. Perhaps your problem is similar? Of course mine really isnt "tapping", its just louder overall. I know almost nothing about the inner workings of internal combustion engines, but possibly the vales could heat up and change size slightly, but enough to put them slightly out of spec? That is, if they were borderline to begin with. Again, my "noise" is probably entirely different from yours.

romus
10-23-2005, 10:53 PM
when do you hear the sound? Up the hill? When you push the car hard? When you're in 4th or 5th gear? Would you say the sound is more like clicking?? Has it been quieter before and grew louder or suddenly started?

If you answer yes to most of this then its valves but maybe you only need higher grade fuel.

632 Regal
10-23-2005, 11:47 PM
with no clues there can only be obscure guessing.

I guess that you have mice in your airbox with little tiny cymbals they ring when the air passes over their nice warm home.

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 12:44 AM

I guess that you have mice in your airbox with little tiny cymbals they ring when the air passes over their nice warm home.
LOL!!

dacoyote
10-24-2005, 07:30 AM

Nahhh... it's thier little voices..... going "darn it's cold"

mattyb
10-24-2005, 08:11 AM
can i get replacement mice from bma or are my little cymbals just out of spec., and how to adjust this feature? i could only find oomph loompah skull bell housing specs in my bentley

peks
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
talk to pat at bma. make sure you get only lemfoerder german speaking mice. any other nationality and their cymbals will wear out in less than 300 miles.

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:04 AM
talk to pat at bma. make sure you get only lemfoerder german speaking mice. any other nationality and their cymbals will wear out in less than 300 miles.
Look what Jeff started. LOL!!

632 Regal
10-24-2005, 11:06 AM
did I mention obscure?

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
did I mention obscure?
You did! LOL!!

mattyb
10-25-2005, 01:31 AM
yeh it only takes one. i cant help it, jeff inspires me when he gets technical

Strap
10-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Im getting the same type noise ( slight tap) inconsistant , cold pretty straight lifter tap ( only 1 lifter ) then when the car is warmed up lifter tap comes and goes or i here a few little taps ( more than one ) then itfades again, BMW say the hydralic < spelling not correct > lifters need replacing 24 of them @ 30 usd each.
good luck with yours
if you get different info please share it..
Strap

bullyd
10-25-2005, 07:07 AM

no guessing required! i KNOW whats wrong :- the knocking rods are catching the laughing shaft and have pulled the giggling pins out of sync. :p

Strap
10-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Still ROTFLMAO
:D