PDA

View Full Version : Heater conversion on E34 (coolant to electrical based)

ktteoh
10-23-2005, 04:29 AM
the standard heater on e34 is such a pain in the ass to repair once broken (valves, heater core buried in dashboard with coolant pipings).

has anyone done a conversion to electrical based heater either via using an assembly of off the shelf parts from other cars or is there a ready made kit available from some vendor?

E34-520iSE
10-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Is this like an oil-filled core with an electric heater? I never knew cars were fitted with such a system! Tell me more Ktteoh......

Cheers,

Shaun

High Compression II
10-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Were you thinking of using electrical power as the source of the heat, as in electric elements???

The amount of power drain on the electrical system of a vehicle would probably be as much as the starter-motor,--You wouldnt run the starter for more than a miniute and expect the battery to hold up would you!!!--The current an adequate fan-heater would probably be around the same, Say 1Kw,--Maybe more...........

A coolant block heater as made by Kemowe and powered from the domestic electricity supply would keep the coolant warm, and Ebispacher made a diesel fuelled heater to do the same and used on some Mercedes W123 as an extra.

Cheaper and easier to fix the original heater system...................

632 Regal
10-23-2005, 03:34 PM
stick a space heater in the front seat, unplug it before you leave and it should stay warm til you get to work...as long as it isnt too far. Bring gloves and a parka for the drive home.

uscharalph
10-23-2005, 04:10 PM
the standard heater on e34 is such a pain in the ass to repair once broken (valves, heater core buried in dashboard with coolant pipings).

has anyone done a conversion to electrical based heater either via using an assembly of off the shelf parts from other cars or is there a ready made kit available from some vendor?
My heater core is currently bypassed. Good for me I don't need a heater much in Southern California. I would still like to get it fixed.

ktteoh
10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
ralph, how do you bypass the heater core - can you list down the steps ?

My heater core is currently bypassed. Good for me I don't need a heater much in Southern California. I would still like to get it fixed.

Kalevera
10-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Personally, I'd just replace the leaking heater core; I think adding an electric heater is asking for an electrical fire, not to mention less efficiency.

I know that parked *heating* was an option on some euro E34s, but I don't know how efficient it would be for actually keeping the car warm under way. I think the system was propane/kerosene based, but I've never seen it in real life.

My .02 says that replacing the heater core, the "hardest" job of the bunch, is still much easier than messing around with a hackneyed solution. Do it right the first time and it'll give you another 15 years of service.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Whit's doing door to door heater core step by step directions at your place, email him direct!

:D

shogun
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
@ktteoh
you can just block the heater with cheap water valves (manual) or just like this here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/106449

Kalevera
10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Whit's doing door to door heater core step by step directions at your place, email him direct!

:D
Only if you're bringing the beer and chips, big baby.

632 Regal
10-23-2005, 11:48 PM
No problem, big trunk will travel!

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 12:37 AM
ralph, how do you bypass the heater core - can you list down the steps ?
This is how I did it:

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 12:42 AM
This is how I did it:
Sorry, that didn't give the whole instructions. Disconnect all three of these hoses. Use a tee joint (Pipe) and connect #2 & #3 to the straight through parts of the tee and #1 to the third connecting part of the tee. Hope that makes sense. You might also want to do a search on this topic.

grave77
10-24-2005, 05:58 AM
use old spark Plugs to plug the water ... I did the same thing to mine ... its hot here all the year .. no need for some hot water flowing under the dash to increase heat :P ... just remove the hoses and plug them. some ppl use a T two inputs and the return ar linked with it. but u dont need the water to flow here anyway. so I just plugged the pipes.

ktteoh
10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
ralph, thanks for the pictures and guide. could you give me some perspective where to locate the 3 hoses in the engine bay - could not see that from your picture.

This is how I did it:

E34-520iSE
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I agree with Whit here. Just fix it and forget about it. You say you need heat in your car, so will be better off fixing your car's heater. Otherwise you're gonna be driving around saying "I wish that heater was fixed!" . Plug in heaters etc will just put an extra demand on your battery, as you will find out one cold & damp morning when your car won't start.

Cheers,

Shaun

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
ralph, thanks for the pictures and guide. could you give me some perspective where to locate the 3 hoses in the engine bay - could not see that from your picture.
Going from the engine bay into the firewall on the drivers side.

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Going from the engine bay into the firewall on the drivers side.
Just the other side of the heater valve.