PDA

View Full Version : Small Coolant Leak Help Please.

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Well it's done.

I changed the t-stat, housing gasket, and the water pump.

After putting everything back together I noticed a small leak on the garage floor that picks up with the engin on and stops when it's off.

I removed the fan clutch and shroud again to try and find the leak.

My car is currently up on ramps and the leak is coming from the front face of the engine and dripping from one of the front bolts on the oil pan. But the the t-stat housing, it's bolts, and the hoses are dry. Likewise the bolts for the pump are tight with no seepage.

In fact, the only place that's wet (that I can find) is a spot underneath the t-stat housing in an open space above all the wheels and stuff with v-belts. Ironically right where there's a BWM embelm stamped into the block :)

The housing is an aluminum BMW housing (bmw stamped into interior) and I used a paper profile gasket when I repalced the stat.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe somethings messed up with the gasket, but it's dry.

I'm stumped!
-ashley

infinity5
10-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe you didn't tighten a engine block coolant drain plug down correctly? I imagine you're suppose to change the washers each time you remove those bolts.

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Maybe you didn't tighten a engine block coolant drain plug down correctly? I imagine you're suppose to change the washers each time you remove those bolts.

Is there another plug on the front of the block?
-ashley

uscharalph
10-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Well it's done.

I changed the t-stat, housing gasket, and the water pump.

After putting everything back together I noticed a small leak on the garage floor that picks up with the engin on and stops when it's off.

I removed the fan clutch and shroud again to try and find the leak.

My car is currently up on ramps and the leak is coming from the front face of the engine and dripping from one of the front bolts on the oil pan. But the the t-stat housing, it's bolts, and the hoses are dry. Likewise the bolts for the pump are tight with no seepage.

In fact, the only place that's wet (that I can find) is a spot underneath the t-stat housing in an open space above all the wheels and stuff with v-belts. Ironically right where there's a BWM embelm stamped into the block :)

The housing is an aluminum BMW housing (bmw stamped into interior) and I used a paper profile gasket when I repalced the stat.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe somethings messed up with the gasket, but it's dry.

I'm stumped!
-ashley
Could the leak be coming from the drain plug you discussed in your other thread or is that a different location?

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Could the leak be coming from the drain plug you discussed in your other thread or is that a different location?

I don't think so. That plug is on the exhaust side under #6 cylinder's header. I did check it and it was dry. I truly am stumped!
-ashley

Javier
10-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Javier

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 08:08 PM
If I'm visualizing this correctly, it sounds like the water pump has messed up bearings, and they're seeping fluid. It rolls down the pulley and then gets flung around as the engine runs. Usually a sign that the pump is bad.

What I would do is clean it up (dump a bit of water on it to remove the residue), then run the engine and watch. The second you see the coolant, stop the engine and trace it. You shouldn't need a pressure tester or anything if it's doing it at idle.

Go over all of the hose clamps that were loosened and be sure that everything is tight and properly aligned. An off-center hose clamp can seep fluid, or worse -- pop off while the car is under way.

best, whit

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 08:41 PM
If I'm visualizing this correctly, it sounds like the water pump has messed up bearings, and they're seeping fluid. It rolls down the pulley and then gets flung around as the engine runs. Usually a sign that the pump is bad.

What I would do is clean it up (dump a bit of water on it to remove the residue), then run the engine and watch. The second you see the coolant, stop the engine and trace it. You shouldn't need a pressure tester or anything if it's doing it at idle.

Go over all of the hose clamps that were loosened and be sure that everything is tight and properly aligned. An off-center hose clamp can seep fluid, or worse -- pop off while the car is under way.

best, whit
Whit,
If you're right it's kinda ironic.
Remember the whole discussion we had months ago about Geba pumps??? Guess what I installed this afternoon.

By "pulley" do you mean the black metal cover that attaches to the fan clutch? If so, it's dry too.

Guess it's draining time again :(

Reckon, I'll pick up a spanner wrench.

-ashley

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Yes, that's the pulley. It should be dry from the front. The coolant will move past the bearings and it won't be detectable except for on the back side of the pulley.

I don't think it's a smart idea to drain the coolant before determining where the leak is coming from. Clean it up and watch it...see what you see. To go in blindly might result in more damage being done, and more headaches. Also, these kinds of repairs don't require a full drain. Jack up the front of the car, drain the radiator. The block won't drop much coolant, even when replacing the WP.

Good luck, buddy.

Best, whit

infinity5
10-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Is there any coolant on any part of the water pump?

I imagine you'll find the leak immediatly when you get it apart, but i know how F#$%ing annoying it is to drain and refill the coolant.

Someone needs to come up with a nice device that drains all the coolant into a covered tank, spill free, so I can recycle it easily without having oil and leaves and bugs fall in it while i'm waiting for the coolant to come out :) Oh, and when the coolant splashes on greasy engine parts as it comes out, that's annoying. Then all your coolant is ever so slightly contaminated.

granit_silber
10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Today I drove the car up onto my ramps and the same little leak was still there.

So, I removed the shroud and fan, loosened the drive belt. Removed the drive pulley from the front of the pump and it's dry as a bone with no coolant residue. I checked where the pump connects to the block and there's no coolant leaking.

What I did see was a small pool of coolant in top off the t-stat housing. But couldn't find any underneath the housing. The paper gasket seemed a little damp, but is that the gasket lapping in?

Anyway, it looks like I need to redo the gasket.

Any other ideas?
-ashley

uscharalph
10-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Today I drove the car up onto my ramps and the same little leak was still there.

So, I removed the shroud and fan, loosened the drive belt. Removed the drive pulley from the front of the pump and it's dry as a bone with no coolant residue. I checked where the pump connects to the block and there's no coolant leaking.

What I did see was a small pool of coolant in top off the t-stat housing. But couldn't find any underneath the housing. The paper gasket seemed a little damp, but is that the gasket lapping in?

Anyway, it looks like I need to redo the gasket.

Any other ideas?
-ashley
When you installed the thermostat housing, did you clean off the old gasket real well? Use a razor blade to ensure yopu have a nice flat / level / clean surface.

granit_silber
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
When you installed the thermostat housing, did you clean off the old gasket real well? Use a razor blade to ensure yopu have a nice flat / level / clean surface.
Nope.
I swear I need a Bentley Manual for Dummies! I've just found another paper gasket for the housing.

So I'll drain the radiator, remove the housing and gasket, scrape both the block and the housing mating surfaces, reinstall, refill, bleed, and I'm good?

So any thoughts on why my car was running super cool and the stat wasn't broken?

-ashley

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Nope.
I swear I need a Bentley Manual for Dummies! I've just found another paper gasket for the housing.

So I'll drain the radiator, remove the housing and gasket, scrape both the block and the housing mating surfaces, reinstall, refill, bleed, and I'm good?

So any thoughts on why my car was running super cool and the stat wasn't broken?

-ashley
Good. Let's get the leak fixed and see how the car runs then. One thing at a time.

632 Regal
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
is there a rubber O ring that seals the thermostat on that contraption?

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 04:08 PM
At least on my car, the o-ring seals the thermostat inside of the thermostat housing. I think I heard of someone who istalled it on the wrong side of the thermostat and caused some problems.

granit_silber
10-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, my stat came with an o-ring.
The thermostat seats on the block and the o-ring sits on the face of the stat. Then the housing goes on.
-ashley