PDA

View Full Version : Solid or original Bushings?

S Lawns
10-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I have a '92 325I with many, many miles. It handled great when I purchased it a year ago but since has developed a bad vibration in the front. I had the car checked over by the local BMW Dealer service department and it definitely needs new front control arms.

In my quest for parts I have come across original versus solid control arm bushings. Whats the benefits and drawbacks to solid bushings?

freeparking
10-23-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a '92 325I with many, many miles. It handled great when I purchased it a year ago but since has developed a bad vibration in the front. I had the car checked over by the local BMW Dealer service department and it definitely needs new front control arms.

In my quest for parts I have come across original versus solid control arm bushings. Whats the benefits and drawbacks to solid bushings?

Wish I could help. I have a bent control arm on the passenger side. Previous owner must have hit a curb. The dealer wants over 600.00 for all the parts,
2 control arms, ball joints ect. I found the kit on ebay for 200.00 made in the
EU. Made to spec. Meeting or exceeding oem standards. If my car was brand
new I might consider the oem parts but because its a 93 325is Im installing the
aftermarket which is just as good. I think the solid control arm bushings are just
a harder type pvc plastic and would be better than the soft plastic that has a
tendency to crack. Good luck with your car. Alan from NJ

S Lawns
10-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks, and good luck with your repairs as well. I think all in all, the dealer quoted me about $3,000 for repairs - both control arms, bushings, struts (which I already replaced 6 months ago) rear shocks, mounts and bushings etc.

I was looking at the kits on eBay as well and was trying to decide b/w solid versus orginal type bushings. I would like the better handling if that is what you get from solid but I don't want to have the car seem to rigid over bumps.

freeparking
10-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks, and good luck with your repairs as well. I think all in all, the dealer quoted me about $3,000 for repairs - both control arms, bushings, struts (which I already replaced 6 months ago) rear shocks, mounts and bushings etc.

I was looking at the kits on eBay as well and was trying to decide b/w solid versus orginal type bushings. I would like the better handling if that is what you get from solid but I don't want to have the car seem to rigid over bumps.

Im gonna buy the Sachs Kit with springs or the Koni special adjustable package
with springs. Both around the same price, (650.00). Plus control arm kit, (200.00), and rear Ground Control shock tower mounts, (85.00pr). I have a good local mechanic and he should be able to do the install for 400.00 or so. When its all said and done with alighnment about 14-1500.00. Both kits will lower the car a little for much improved handling and ride should be the same, if just a little stiffer. Also changing to a 17 inch rim and 8 inch tire. This is basically the best set up to go with with all Ive read and will dramtically improve the handling and overall performance. The engine is another story.