PDA

View Full Version : Help!

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Where the heck is [edit: bentley says exhaust side under #6] and how the heck do I remove the engine block drain plug??????????
-ashley

ps I'm talking about the coolant drain plug.

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Extensions and swivels or a spanner. Pretty straightforward on the M50.

best, whit

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Extensions and swivels or a spanner. Pretty straightforward on the M50.

best, whit
Whit,
From underneath or up top?
-ashley

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I've always done it from underneath because it's hard to get around an exhaust manifold from the top.

Be prepared to scoot out of the way and stick a drain pan under the car -- it's a big mess. Some spillage is evident, so a hose is always handy.

What color/coolant is currently in the car? Might be wise to run a flush cycle of tap water through it if it's not cool blue.

best, whit

632 Regal
10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I ran/cycled mine 3-4 times to make sure all the gonge was gone before I added fres cool blue. Theres always going to be residual water in the block and stuff so figure the total amount the car takes and add half cool blue before distilled water.

Jr ///M5
10-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Lowell's right about the stuff going everywhere when you pull the plug. Be aware that the plug is VERY short in length, about 3 full turns and here it comes. You might consider using some rags to cover the O2 sensor, and spread newspaper around on the floor to catch what the pan doesn't capture.

Make sure you have a new crush washer for re-installation, or else don't lose the old one!

Jr

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the help today. I know that my mechanical knowledge WAY lower than most everybody else on the board.

After two trips to the local Harbour Freight store (in the other car) I got the drain plug out. The plug that came out was 19mm.

Earlier in the week I ordered a new radiator plug, drain plug, and crush washer. The new plug's head is 13mm with a little "collar", the end result is the total area is around 19mm. So I wasn't sure if it was the right plug.

I finally got the plug in the block by putting the plug and washer in the round end of the wrench and balancing it as I weaved it through the maze of exhaust and structural components.

Man, I don't want to do that again!!! But I know I'll have to.

-ashley

632 Regal
10-22-2005, 06:30 PM
pretend your an auto mechanic when you do these things and imagine a glorious career in that industry!

Seriously you should use the wrenches and stuff Whit recommended, would make the job a lot easier.

Thanks for all the help today. I know that my mechanical knowledge WAY lower than most everybody else on the board.

After two trips to the local Harbour Freight store (in the other car) I got the drain plug out. The plug that came out was 19mm.

Earlier in the week I ordered a new radiator plug, drain plug, and crush washer. The new plug's head is 13mm with a little "collar", the end result is the total area is around 19mm. So I wasn't sure if it was the right plug.

I finally got the plug in the block by putting the plug and washer in the round end of the wrench and balancing it as I weaved it through the maze of exhaust and structural components.

Man, I don't want to do that again!!! But I know I'll have to.

-ashley

Kalevera
10-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Just wait until you're doing a coolant drain on a V8 -- both sides of the block ;)

Actually, I think the most inconvenient drain plug location that I've seen is on the M54/alusil. It's at the FRONT of the engine, and at least on the late Z3 cars, it lives above the motor mount. So it's hard to reach and then it dumps and distributes coolant everywhere because of the motor mount design.

You're a good man to replace the crush washer -- now it won't leak ;)

best, whit

granit_silber
10-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Just wait until you're doing a coolant drain on a V8 -- both sides of the block ;)

Actually, I think the most inconvenient drain plug location that I've seen is on the M54/alusil. It's at the FRONT of the engine, and at least on the late Z3 cars, it lives above the motor mount. So it's hard to reach and then it dumps and distributes coolant everywhere because of the motor mount design.

You're a good man to replace the crush washer -- now it won't leak ;)

best, whit

Whit,
Earlier in this thread you talked about a spanner wrench. Is that the wrench with fixed top jaw and the thumb wheel that adjusts the bottom jaw? If so, when reinstalling the drain plug does the spanner hold the plug tight while you fish it up to where it fits?

-ashley