PDA

View Full Version : SRS light

jhsmd666
10-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Just had the SRS light go on a couple of days ago. Took it to the dealer today for a reset and was told there was a "hard fault" and I needed a new SRS Control Module. I can get the part from BMA - are there any precautions I need to take when replacing it? It sits under the rear seat in my '95 540 and I don't want to trigger anything by doing something careless. Will I need a light reset after replacing the module?

Thanks, Jeff

Kalevera
10-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Just had the SRS light go on a couple of days ago. Took it to the dealer today for a reset and was told there was a "hard fault" and I needed a new SRS Control Module. I can get the part from BMA - are there any precautions I need to take when replacing it? It sits under the rear seat in my '95 540 and I don't want to trigger anything by doing something careless. Will I need a light reset after replacing the module?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, disconnect the battery and wait a good 15 minutes prior to doing anything with the SRS system.

Replacement of that box is relatively straight forward. I think you may need the hollow tip torx bits, though. T25/T30, something in there. Can't remember at the moment if it's held in with a hex or the hollow tips.

best, whit

jhsmd666
10-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Whit - I appreciate the information.

Jeff, disconnect the battery and wait a good 15 minutes prior to doing anything with the SRS system.

Replacement of that box is relatively straight forward. I think you may need the hollow tip torx bits, though. T25/T30, something in there. Can't remember at the moment if it's held in with a hex or the hollow tips.

best, whit

jhsmd666
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM

Thanks, Jeff

Got a new control module from BMA. Does anyone know if the module has to be "encoded" or programmed before putting it in and if so, can the dealer do it when they reset the SRS light?.

Thanks.