PDA

View Full Version : problem or not? (thrust arm bushing slightly misaligned)

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Just got new thrust arms from BMA today, and had them press the 750 bushings into them... how ever on one of them it doesn't look to be aligned correctly..... is this going to be a problem? if so how can I turn it??

http://www.nickwalton.com/photos/thrustarm.jpg

Bellicose Right Winger
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Problem? There's no good way to predict, but I wouldn't use it. Return it to BMA or take it to a local auto machine shop and and have them press it out and re-install it properly. Shouldn't cost more then $20.

Paul Shovestul

Just got new thrust arms from BMA today, and had them press the 750 bushings into them... how ever on one of them it doesn't look to be aligned correctly..... is this going to be a problem? if so how can I turn it??

uscharalph
10-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Just curious, what's the other one look like?

uscharalph
10-21-2005, 06:27 PM
That arrow should point right at the arm, right?

Bellicose Right Winger
10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
It should point at the raised nub below and to the right of the arrow.

Paul Shovestul

That arrow should point right at the arm, right?

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2005, 09:26 PM

the arrow points to the metal nub

any idea the kinds of shops that would be able to repress that for me??

how much you think the stealer would charge to repress it?

maybe I'll go to harbor freight, and use one of their display presses ;-)

MBXB
10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Find a local machine shop or speed shop in the Yellow Pages. Stealer?? No Way!

Chris'91'525i
10-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Won't the part be damaged if you try to refit it ?
If BMW assembles parts on cars like they do on thier motorcycles, they usually specify assembling parts like this with interference fitting or shrink fitting the parts together, by chilling the insert and heating the receptacle, and then pressing it in.
Sometimes you can get away by pressing it in once without shrink fitting it. But if you press it out again it might deform or remove some metal and it might not go back in tight enough after pressing it in and out 3 times.
Would hate see you stuck with a bad part that was not assembled right in the first place.

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2005, 10:59 PM
If BMW assembles parts on cars like they do on thier motorcycles, they usually specify assembling parts like this with interference fitting or shrink fitting the parts together, by chilling the insert and heating the receptacle, and then pressing it in.
Sometimes you can get away by pressing it in once without shrink fitting it. But if you press it out again it might deform or remove some metal and it might not go back in tight enough after pressing it in and out 3 times.
Would hate see you stuck with a bad part that was not assembled right in the first place.

good point..... but this didn't come from the factory like this.... but good point none the less

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Each arm has an L or a R stamped on it.... hopefully that means "left and right"

the right one is the one thats messed up, and my drivers side is the one I REALLY need to replace... so hopefully I can replace my drivers tomorrow morning.... and maybe the other side next weekend (left hand driver)

Bellicose Right Winger
10-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Your points are well taken, however I've changed these bushings on 3 of my cars using a homemade tool to press the old ones out and the new ones in. All this was done without heating or cooling. While I've never tried to re-install the old ones, they all came out intact without any scoring or metal transfer. I'm certain they'd press back in and be just as tight as before they were removed. A machine shop will have a hydraulic press that will make the job much easier.

Call BMA and let them know what's going on. They're good people and may ship you a replacement immediately.

Paul Shovestul