PDA

View Full Version : bill, winfred, lowell (&c....) you ever have probs with the bmw water pumps

ryan roopnarine
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
as they all seem to be remanufactured..im talking about the m50 unit, with some type of space age plastic impeller. i called and asked and was told that was all that was sold in bmw dealerships. i'd rather not put a reman unit of anything in for the waterpump, but my noname reman is still holding strong after 50K + miles

uscharalph
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
as they all seem to be remanufactured..im talking about the m50 unit, with some type of space age plastic impeller. i called and asked and was told that was all that was sold in bmw dealerships. i'd rather not put a reman unit of anything in for the waterpump, but my noname reman is still holding strong after 50K + miles
Reman? Really, when I replaced mine, I was thinking I should have spent a little more and gotten one from the dealer.

Bill R.
10-21-2005, 02:57 PM
if you open it up and look at it ,its actually a gmb, which is a japanese brand, I have had no problems with any of the gmb pumps i've installed on various cars. Its 59.99 from autozone.

Kalevera
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Ryan, it's a new pump even if the clown at the service desk calls it a "reman" -- anything that *can* be remanufactured is considered such, but it's still a new factory pump, hence no core charge.

The composite is different from the early plastics. It's a weight/cost consideration and we haven't seen one fail as of yet -- we stick them in all cars that are driven hard (track), and use the graf metals in everything else.

best, whit

winfred
10-21-2005, 08:02 PM
i don't use dealer stuff so i have no record with them, i have had good luck with gmb on volvos, i usually use hepu on bimmers and when they are out laso and graf are other brands i get, geba is the only turd brand i have encountered

Kalevera
10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
BMA sent me a geba before you told me about them. It's still sitting in the trunk, I will probably stick it on the new engine and see how it does. What'd you say they do -- 30k before they crap out?

best, whit

winfred
10-21-2005, 08:38 PM
the bearings crap and wear out usually before 30k m20s and m50s are what i have delt with this on, not counting over the counter sale returns (i don't know those quanitys as i don't run the counter) i probably have had to redo 10 or more pumps including my own e30

ryan roopnarine
10-21-2005, 11:26 PM
thx lowell for that tidbit about durability....

thx for your concern bill, but i don't "need" a replacement. i had considered the autozone duralast before, but wanted to go german for such things.

thanks winfred for chiming in.

here's the explanation as to why i asked this question

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=104023#post104023