PDA

View Full Version : OT, Question for the camera buffs out there

Bill R.
10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm getting a new camera for my wife and and am torn in 3 directions on it. Wanted to get opinions from people who have used any of these 3 models that i may get.... Nikon S4, the casio ex-z750 and the fuji f10 .. Thanks for any viewpoints.

Interceptor
10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm getting a new camera for my wife and and am torn in 3 directions on it. Wanted to get opinions from people who have used any of these 3 models that i may get.... Nikon S4, the casio ex-z750 and the fuji f10 .. Thanks for any viewpoints.
My own personal chart:
1. Nikon S4
2. Fuji F10
3. Casio EX-Z750

HDhandyman
10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Nikon all the way---they have led the digi camera market hands down,

Other wise your looking @ a keyboard maker, and a film maker.

The choice seems obvious!

Guapo
10-21-2005, 11:01 AM

I know it wasn't asked, but you might also consider Canon. I love my Powershot Pro 1.

Sample pic - (large filesize)
http://www.guapozx.com/guapo/albums/Mayfast05/eIMG_0803.jpg

peks
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I would recommend a canon, too.. I have used nikons, and especially their cheaper ones are pretty crappy imho.

go to bestbuy or someplace and try them out.

check dpreview.com the best site i have found for specs and comparing digi cams

i have a canon sd300 right now and i love it. its small, has metal case so it can take a beating in my pocket while im snowboarding, and 4.0 mp is plenty for most of what i do. canon has been the leader in digi cams and they have the best pic quality in most of the comparos ive seen.

what are you going to use it for?

Jr ///M5
10-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Aw, that's sweet, buying Yvonne a camera....what'd you do??? =)

Go with the Nikon...it's only an opinion, I haven't used the model you have listed, but I have owned several Nikon SLR's and Digital models and can say that they beat the competition hands down.

Just what did you do anyway???? he,he,he...

Bill R.
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
camera.... I myself am leaning towards the nikon since it has tilt lcd like yours and that combined with 6mp and a 10x optical lens which works out to about 400mm tele.... but i have a 10x optical on one of my olympus digitals and its about impossible for me to get a full zoom shot without a tripod to eliminate shake... I didn't know if the nikon would have the same problem or if the best shot function would help to control that.
But then again the easiest quickest one is clearly the casio. but stories about lens error malfunctions with this one is the only thing keeping me from buying it...
The fuji has an iso of up to 1600 and low light photos seem to be great, something that none of my other digitals has the capablity for...
So Jr as you probably guessed this is for her but i plan on getting my use out of it too..:) All of these are close to the same price or within 50 bucks or so.. the casio is the most since its a very high demand one right now..

Aw, that's sweet, buying Yvonne a camera....what'd you do??? =)

Go with the Nikon...it's only an opinion, I haven't used the model you have listed, but I have owned several Nikon SLR's and Digital models and can say that they beat the competition hands down.

Just what did you do anyway???? he,he,he...

Bellicose Right Winger
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Haven't used any of those, but I think you'll like one of these better.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos350d%2Cnikon_d50%2Ckonicaminolta_ 5d&show=all

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_cps4%2Cfuji_finepixf10%2Ccasio_exz75 0&show=all

Paul Shovestul

Bill R.
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM
this one and 6 megapixels, 300 pics per battery charge and a 2.5 inch lcd or bigger all fit the description of what we're looking for .. add a 1gb sd card and she should have a decent point and shoot..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos350d%2Cnikon_d50%2Ckonicaminolta_ 5d&show=all

Paul Shovestul

Jr ///M5
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Tell her "Happy Birthday" for me!

A tri-pod is a must for long telephoto shots, the auto feature might override your preference in order to obtain the "shakeless" shot, but digitals in general usually do poorly in low light conditions as compared to SLR's.
You can use the camera strap to help minimize tele-shot blur by wrapping it around your shoulder and under your elbow to cinch the camera onto your hand and then plant your elbow into your middle section to gain a more steady "human" tripod...

Bill R.
10-21-2005, 05:58 PM
function on this one..(I'm not making this up, its right on the dial) takes a number of shots rapidly as you hold the button down and then selects the sharpest one with the least amount of blur, based on the idea that if it takes 10 quick shots while you hold it down you should be halfway steady for at least one of them...All the other 10X opticals that i've looked at have built in stabilization to prevent blur on long shots but Nikon seems to think that the bs function will work as well.

Tell her "Happy Birthday" for me!

A tri-pod is a must for long telephoto shots, the auto feature might override your preference in order to obtain the "shakeless" shot, but digitals in general usually do poorly in low light conditions as compared to SLR's.
You can use the camera strap to help minimize tele-shot blur by wrapping it around your shoulder and under your elbow to cinch the camera onto your hand and then plant your elbow into your middle section to gain a more steady "human" tripod...

HDhandyman
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_cps4%2Cfuji_finepixf10%2Ccasio_exz75 0&show=all

Paul Shovestul

Nikon D5 all the way. You didn't skimp on car, so why skimp on camera?

Cannon is ok, and nice, but seems (throught their history) to not place nicely with others, lenses--etc.

Nikon has great stock lenses--just like BMW has great stock parts.

Konika is nice too, but really expensive lenses..and you need a pro to teach you about one.

I'd say--not now, but 2 years ago--3/5 pros carried a D5 in their bag.

It's like the E34 1989-1995 of digi cameras--can't go wrong with this one!

BTW--if you want something differnt, no pro would ever disspute the fact that OLYMPUS has always been the most innovative of camera makers.

Tiger
10-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Truth is... no compact digicam has stabilizing feature. How us old timer deal with this problem on normal camera is we make sure the shutter speed is as fast as the zoom size. For example, if the zoom is 300mm, we make sure our shutter speed is 1/300 sec. or faster... If the zoom is 75mm, we set for 1/75 or faster... 1/100 would be nicer and surer shot. To do this, you need shutter priority function on camera. Your ISO speed also must be faster... 400 is as high as I would go or lose color vitality.

I am thinking, since you already have a compact, why not buy a nicer bigger digital SLR which has stabilizing feature? I prefer Panasonic for the reason of their Leica lens... these lens are awesome... so crisp, clarity, and color. I'll take sharp lens over any megapixel... because such a large MP is good for super poster sizes prints. And on compacts, the key is size... they try to squeeze all that info on a tiny little capture chip... which is a bad idea... sacrifice the quality of pic.

Interceptor
10-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I myself am leaning towards the nikon since it has tilt lcd like yours and that combined with 6mp and a 10x optical lens which works out to about 400mm tele.... but i have a 10x optical on one of my olympus digitals and its about impossible for me to get a full zoom shot without a tripod to eliminate shake... I didn't know if the nikon would have the same problem or if the best shot function would help to control that.
No digital camera has a perfectly stable picture at high zooms - it's just not possible to construct an optical stabilizer that will eliminate every sudden move you make with your hand, or while pressing the button. That's why tripods were invented in the first place.

Anyway, professionals use tripods all the time, even if they don't use zoom at all - so the benefits are obvious. For amateur use, a relatively steady hand is enough for a good picture.