PDA

View Full Version : fuel line replacment fix

shogun
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Example: M30 engine, but as a general info for all:

Symptoms:
Gas smell inside vehicle, especially on front passenger side.
Gas leaking underneath vehicle.
Gas evaporation marks on fuel rail.

Items needed
8x13mm Fuel Hose 2meters long
Knife
Hose clamps (BMW type preferred)

Location of items
The fuel rail is located on the top of the engine.
The fuel hose goes into the back of the fuel rail (under the coolant tank).

How to repair
First of all turn off your engine. I would recommend doing this when the engine is cold. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case, since I don't know anything about gas fires. My gas line was leaking directly onto my engine before I fixed it!
I have heard that some fuel rails are slightly different from mine, but the procedure should still be the same.

Make sure you get hose that can withstand at least 50lb of pressure. I got mine from BMW directly so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Cost was about $14 USD. I bought hose clamps from Home Depot for $0.39 each and I got 10 of them (not that you need that many though).

To start, you need to take the old clamps off the hose at the top and bottom. Just follow the fuel line down from the fuel rail to where it connects next to the tire. Gas will spill out so be prepared.

I could not get the old fuel line off no matter how hard I pulled, I had to cut it off with a kitchen knife.

Now you want to attach the new fuel hose to the bottom connection with a new clamp. I have heard that if you don't use an official BMW clamp it cuts into the hose more, which I would tend to agree with. One of my old clamps was a BMW one, the other was a regular one. The regular one had cut way into the hose and the BMW one had not. But until I get some BMW clamps I am going to use the Home Depot ones.

After you attach the bottom you may with to cut your hose a little bit to fit better, I didn't just in case I need to adjust it later. Now attach the top, it will take some wiggling since the coolant tank is partly in the way, but it will fit back on. I ended up using 2 clamps where the hose attaches to the fuel rail as it was still leaking a small amount with only 1 clamp. You may wish to do the same.

Now start your car and make sure no gas is leaking. If it is then tighten the clamps some more. If you tighten them too much you will hear a snap and you will need to replace the clamp with a new one.
By Russell on 2/28/03
------------------------------
Copy from Russell's old page, unfortunately the pics are gone.