PDA

View Full Version : timer for heated seats?

jebjk1
10-20-2005, 07:49 AM
On my '92 525i, the driver's side heated seat will come on, but then stut off after only 5 seconds. The fuse is good, and the passanger heated seat works fine. Is there a timer or something that possibly went bad? What else should I be looking for? The cold weather is right around the corner. High of 40 degrees on Sunday!

Thanks in advance.

mattyb
10-20-2005, 08:23 AM
How do find out if u have heated seats. I know it sounds like a stupid question.

jebjk1
10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
near the center console.

Alexlind123
10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
The heat certainly shouldnt turn off after 5 minutes (as you know). Perhaps there is a relay somewhere that is bad or something, im sure someone who know will read your post. I nearly always turn my seat heat on high untill it get uncomfortably hot, then switch it over to low.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Later cars use a timer type switch with momentary action rather than the fixed switches on the earlier cars. This is an improvement since the heaters automatically switch off when you turn off the car, whereas the earlier one is easy to forget. Next time you get in the car you may not want the heaters on. :)

I believe the timer is in the switch itself.

The heat certainly shouldnt turn off after 5 minutes (as you know). Perhaps there is a relay somewhere that is bad or something, im sure someone who know will read your post. I nearly always turn my seat heat on high untill it get uncomfortably hot, then switch it over to low.

mattyb
10-20-2005, 09:10 AM
ty

jebjk1
10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
I looked over the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual, and I didn't see a timer or a relay. All that I could see that could go bad is the switch or the fuse. Being the fuse is good, maybe it is time for a new switch?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
If it was mine, I'd take the old switch apart and see what's inside before forking out for a new one. If there is any kind of timer circuitry it could be as simple as a bad capacitor or a fractured solder joint. If you dismantle yours, take some pictures and post them for reference.

FWIW, I'd be interested to see if the timebase could be adjusted since mine kicks to low a bit too soon when it's really cold outside.

I looked over the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual, and I didn't see a timer or a relay. All that I could see that could go bad is the switch or the fuse. Being the fuse is good, maybe it is time for a new switch?

jebjk1
10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I will definitely post some pics of my findings. I know an electical engineer that maybe can help with increasing the amount of time before is changes over to the low setting too. Mine is the same way (when it was working) where it would kick out of high too early.

Thanks for your help.

Kalevera
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
The switches really aren't serviceable -- I've taken apart a few of them and they never seem to go back together in working condition (if they were even close to working in the first place). You have the newer style switch that Anthony is talking about. Just get replacements. I think Mbo had a set for sale a while back -- I was going to buy them but my "new" seats had working ones, so...

Best, whit

Qsilver7
10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
How do find out if u have heated seats. I know it sounds like a stupid question.
Matty, if you have them...the switches are obvious...you'd see them everytime you went to buckle up. :)

See attached pic below...