PDA

View Full Version : what we need here is.....

HDhandyman
10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Okay so, I just got here and already I'm posting to many threads. I've posted many questions and had them answered. It's great, but all the threads are still left over when I'm done. I mean there are something like 9,000 threads here. You could spend all day just answering the first 5 pages, and I have enormous respect for all the guys who do, but what we need here is an archiver function. I mean, the premise here is that the threads are left over for access to old questions, but what if after I feel I've gotten a sufficient responce to the question I posted, I have the power to close down the thread via archive function. Then if some nube, like me, has a question, the search function would reference the archives, but remove the thread from the forum. Doesn't that sound better than 9,000 threads? Please tell me who runs this forum, so that Ican help fix this.

Thanks,

Stephen

dacoyote
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Stephen

What a great idea....and like some great idea's.. it already being done.

-Charles

liquidtiger720
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
If you actually go to the main page. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/index.php?

scroll down and you will see the archives. You will also see the names of people managing each archive. You can PM any of them with any more detail instructions that you feel would help improve this board.

uscharalph
10-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Okay so, I just got here and already I'm posting to many threads. I've posted many questions and had them answered. It's great, but all the threads are still left over when I'm done. I mean there are something like 9,000 threads here. You could spend all day just answering the first 5 pages, and I have enormous respect for all the guys who do, but what we need here is an archiver function. I mean, the premise here is that the threads are left over for access to old questions, but what if after I feel I've gotten a sufficient responce to the question I posted, I have the power to close down the thread via archive function. Then if some nube, like me, has a question, the search function would reference the archives, but remove the thread from the forum. Doesn't that sound better than 9,000 threads? Please tell me who runs this forum, so that Ican help fix this.

Thanks,

Stephen
21 posts and already he's rearranging the forum.

Torque
10-20-2005, 03:43 AM
21 posts and already he's rearranging the forum.That's just because he never saw the old board ... this is like the mother of all organization compared to how old one was.

Dave M
10-20-2005, 04:23 AM
I seem to remember a fair amount of resistance expressed when the 'new' board was suggested on the 'old' board. Wasn't there a poll??

I think most (all) of us have gotten very comfortable with the new format.

Dave M

mattyb
10-20-2005, 08:19 AM
u need to speak to gayle! take some deep breaths and have a good look at some of the other things we do here. we are working on it mate, meanwhile have a great time looking about. The old threads are managed in such a way that only relevant and correct material is archived. To often threads contain information which is full of what people think and do not know for sure. we are fortunate that we have the most incredibly experienced folks on this board and they decide whats archived and not others. This way we do not end up with a whole load of **** in the archives.every one is welcome to contribute, and I am sure if you will find your own way of doing this soon enough. Welcome and enjoy the people.

HDhandyman
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Hey Gang,

You people seem rather sensitive. Chill, ok. I wasn't trying to hurt anybody's feelings here. But, 12,000 threads is rediculous--sorry if that hurts your feelings. I already really enjoy this forum. I was just offering to help make it a little more plausible. And, I'll continue to enjoy myself despite the fact that some feel the need to vote on joining the 21st century.

dacoyote
10-20-2005, 12:17 PM
.....need to vote on joining the 21st century.

1) Voting Good

2) Whats so great about the 21st Century and how.... 9/11? WMD? The New BMWs?

:-)

Charles
P.S. Been working with Gayle to find my feminine side
P.S.S Not that females are sensitive
P.S.S.S J/K
P.S.S.S.S I am not j/k about not all females and not being sensitive
P.S.S.S.S.S /me pulls up the backhoe and starts digging even faster :-)

(Sorry Gayle)

Torque
10-20-2005, 12:28 PM
P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

dacoyote
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

LOL.... I spent about a minute looking at abcdefghijklmnopstuvwxyz to fiqure it out...

Charles

632 Regal
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
i still dont get it... abcdefghijklmnopstuvwxyz

I like having 10 bazillion threads to look through.

is this what you would like it to look like?
old board (http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/archive.html)

LOL.... I spent about a minute looking at abcdefghijklmnopstuvwxyz to fiqure it out...

Charles

mattyb
10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
hey jeff, im with u on this one, what tha fk, theyre messing with our heads mate!

632 Regal
10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Maybe but I'm still not sure...lol

hey jeff, im with u on this one, what tha fk, theyre messing with our heads mate!

HDhandyman
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
So, are we ready to archive this one?

uscharalph
10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Why? Just let it die!

632 Regal
10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
not quite yet!

dacoyote
10-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Ok... Let me explain the joke....

"P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated."

ok... so... you take abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz (bolded for highlight)

and remove those two... and get abcdefghijklmnopstuvwxyz (bolded for highlight)

No... if you look at the bolded part of the alphabet... what do you see... PS... so... if you remove QR, pqrs becomes PS... and pqrs and ps are parts of the alphabet... Get it?

Coming to the rule... if the joke has to be explained.. it's not that farking funny...

-Charles

dacoyote
10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
not quite yet!

Darn... and I was going to ask Gayle to stick it in Nuggets....

Charles

Gayle
10-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Is Stephen accusing us of having sand in that place that only Winfred will say?

uscharalph
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Is Stephen accusing us of having sand in that place that only Winfred will say?
He seems to think he's actually hurting someone's feelings.

mattyb
10-21-2005, 12:19 AM
im sure we can get another 6 months out of that

632 Regal
10-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Trivia:

In the TV show Gilligans Island....what was Gilligans name?

take out the QR

peks
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
so then charles wuold be chales, right?

dacoyote
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
so then charles wuold be chales, right?

Yeah... but I think you missed the joke... its hard to tell online....

Charles

uscharalph
10-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Trivia:

take out the QR
Was it Bob Denve(r)? Little buddy?

dacoyote
10-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Trivia:

take out the QR

On the show? it was debated to be Willie Gilligan or Gilligan Hohople

His real name was Bob Denver....

Ie... I don't get it....

-Charles

peks
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
is it p.s.?

632 Regal
10-21-2005, 01:17 PM
you mean SS? as in SS Minnow? WRONG

is it p.s.?

632 Regal
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Correct!

Was it Bob Denve(r)? Little buddy?
Bonus round:
what was the pet's name on the TV show the Munsters
extra credit if you know Hermans name...

uscharalph
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Correct!

Bonus round:
what was the pet's name on the TV show the Munsters
extra credit if you know Hermans name...
Spot

Fred Gwynn?

632 Regal
10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Dead on!!!

On the original series the three stooges (Moe, Curley, Larry), were they related?

Spot

Fred Gwynn?

dacoyote
10-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Dead on!!!

On the original series the three stooges (Moe, Curley, Larry), were they related?

Moe and Curley are...

632 Regal
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Right, both were Howard brothers until Curley had a heart attack and was replaced with Shemp (I think thats right)

Moe and Curley are...

edit: I was way off...

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/T/Th/Three_Stooges.htm

mattyb
10-21-2005, 05:58 PM
bloody brilliant! sorry i mean bloody billiant

Robin-535im
10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
I seem to remember a fair amount of resistance expressed when the 'new' board was suggested on the 'old' board. Wasn't there a poll??

I think most (all) of us have gotten very comfortable with the new format.

Dave M
I have fond memories of tho old format. Easier to read the whole thread as titles from the main page... seemed more personal back then too... but without the new format I would have missed out on Winfred's bouncing boobies!

Gayle
10-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Jeff Bidoli (aka post whore) has some serious competion from noob.

While the noob's daily posting average of 4.55 surpasses all but the most loquacious forum members, this impressive show of verbal production is no match for the board's reigning king. The master of witty one liners has racked up an astonishing 10.18 average daily posts while leaving our forum members ROTFLTAO. To keep his posting average up, he has been known to share his rather impressive mechanical knowledge on occasion.

The board's trustee forensic accountant has detected a shocking state of affairs. The noob is actually smoking 632 Regal when it comes to starting new threads!

Since joining this forum 22 months ago, 632 Regal has started 222 threads. For those of you who are mathmatically challenged, that is an average of approximately 10 threads per month. The noob however has initiated 10 threads in 11 days. Should he be able to keep up this impressive feat, he would rate up almost 30 threads per month--triple the number of threads stated by 632 Regal.

While 632 Regal has been known to reply to his own posts to keep his average up, the noob may have a cunning strategy to displace the king. Starting threads provides an opportunity to reply to every post--a sure way to one's post counter go ca-ching.

Is this going to be a long term competition or just a promising but brief flash in the pan, who knows. We will see.

[Charles--another example of female sensitivity for you :p ].

dacoyote
10-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Doesn't change the fact Jeff is still a post whore....

HDhandyman
10-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Jeff Bidoli (aka post whore) has some serious competion from noob.

While the noob's daily posting average of 4.55 surpasses all but the most loquacious forum members, this impressive show of verbal production is no match for the board's reigning king. The master of witty one liners has racked up an astonishing 10.18 average daily posts while leaving our forum members ROTFLTAO. To keep his posting average up, he has been known to share his rather impressive mechanical knowledge on occasion.

The board's trustee forensic accountant has detected a shocking state of affairs. The noob is actually smoking 632 Regal when it comes to starting new threads!

Since joining this forum 22 months ago, 632 Regal has started 222 threads. For those of you who are mathmatically challenged, that is an average of approximately 10 threads per month. The noob however has initiated 10 threads in 11 days. Should he be able to keep up this impressive feat, he would rate up almost 30 threads per month--triple the number of threads stated by 632 Regal.

While 632 Regal has been known to reply to his own posts to keep his average up, the noob may have a cunning strategy to displace the king. Starting threads provides an opportunity to reply to every post--a sure way to one's post counter go ca-ching.

Is this going to be a long term competition or just a promising but brief flash in the pan, who knows. We will see.

[Charles--another example of female sensitivity for you :p ].

Dearest Gayle,

I have to be truly honest with you. I have, with secret animosity, been watching this thread grow for some time. As it seems, blatantly enough, to be growing in spite of me (or in celebration,...*LOL maniacally*), I have thus far refused to comment.

However, I find myself drawn to your posts. Your panache for wit is unmatched. It seems the most rare convergence of TAG and script that trebuchets me to you, "I am utterly powerless". Amidst the throngs of war, covered in the grease of thread and post, I find myself mysteriosly drawn to the "scent of woman".

P.S. Is anyboby gonna answer my thread about "mysterious electrical problems"??

Torque
10-22-2005, 12:27 AM
I think you have some electrical problems.

Gayle
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Dearest Gayle,

I have to be truly honest with you. I have, with secret animosity, been watching this thread grow for some time. As it seems, blatantly enough, to be growing in spite of me (or in celebration,...*LOL maniacally*), I have thus far refused to comment.

Thanks for being good natured about the joking. I had hoped I was not being too wicked with that last post which pokes fun at Jeff as much as you.

I was the enthusiastic noob about 3 months ago and I understand the joy of finding this place. You are going to fit in fine here. And I am not just saying that cause you are buttering me up. And sorry that I can't help you with the electrical problem.

632 Regal
10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I thought about this a LONG time ago, I decided I didnt want to be start too many stupid threads for the simple reason if I actually need help I would have a better chance of getting it by not starting too many threads. I dont need help very often and even when I do its usually a question that most cant answer...maybe I should start a ton of them...naw.