PDA

View Full Version : Passenger seatback...faling off? power seats fuse & wiper sources

Joe F
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
BMW E-34 525i 01/1989

seat back
Hello again guys, I have another question. Recently I have discovered that my passenger seat was making an interesting creaking/crackling sound when I was going over bumps. So I decided to check it out because I never remembered to check because I noticed it when driving. ANYWAYS, I went to the seats back pouch and was fiddling around looking around for something inside of it when, of course, the back falls off. (???) I cannot get this thing back on completely and I am wondering how this connects to the back of the seat... Is there a clip missing? There are metal pieces protruding from the piece that fell off, but I cannot get them to connect with anything. Any suggestions/diagrams? It would be greatly appreciated, I don't exactly enjoy the thought of my BMW falling apart... :-p

Also, Where is the fuse for the passenger side power seat controls, mine has apperently blown out recently, is it under the seat or is it in the engine compartment?

wiper blades
Also, while I have your attention, where do I get the lobsided wiper blades for a bmw E34 (1989 5251)? Apperently standard wipers don't fit, it took Les Schwab 3 people and my windshield (they broke it by accidentally bumping the empty wiper mount onto the glass) to figure this out. Why did I even go there, I disturb even myself...

Thanks guys!

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 07:59 PM
BMW E-34 525i 01/1989

seat back
Hello again guys, I have another question. Recently I have discovered that my passenger seat was making an interesting creaking/crackling sound when I was going over bumps. So I decided to check it out because I never remembered to check because I noticed it when driving. ANYWAYS, I went to the seats back pouch and was fiddling around looking around for something inside of it when, of course, the back falls off. (???) I cannot get this thing back on completely and I am wondering how this connects to the back of the seat... Is there a clip missing? There are metal pieces protruding from the piece that fell off, but I cannot get them to connect with anything. Any suggestions/diagrams? It would be greatly appreciated, I don't exactly enjoy the thought of my BMW falling apart... :-p

Also, Where is the fuse for the passenger side power seat controls, mine has apperently blown out recently, is it under the seat or is it in the engine compartment?

wiper blades
Also, while I have your attention, where do I get the lobsided wiper blades for a bmw E34 (1989 5251)? Apperently standard wipers don't fit, it took Les Schwab 3 people and my windshield (they broke it by accidentally bumping the empty wiper mount onto the glass) to figure this out. Why did I even go there, I disturb even myself...

Thanks guys!
As far as the rear seat back goes, their are clips along the top, 2 bolts in the middle (inside the armrest) and 1 bolt in each corner (Bentley manual 520-5).

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
The two clips at the top and bottom of the seatback cover can bend in and not hook into place. Bend them out, set the bottom in, armrest, and then the top (could be reversed, been a few months since I pulled one).

I'm assuming the wiper arms are the OEMs. (drivers has a gray/black, BMW labeled cover towards the front of the car). The windshield wiper inserts can be changed. BMW uses two different inserts throughout all cars produced (to my knowledge). I only know them by the last three digits of the part numbers -- 440 and 441. The E34 takes one of each, and they can be readily and cheaply had at the dealer. Takes 5 minutes to change them.

Did Les Schwab replace the windshield? Hopefully they used OEM glass.

best, whit

Joe F
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks Whit, Well as it turns out I am still tangled in this mess. Apperently, the glass that was on the car when it was cracked was not OEM, but the glass being used (has not been installed yet) is sekurit. What happened today is the installation crew came (Not Les Schwab) but my moulding wasn't in good enough condition to keep, so he took it off, but Les Schwab didn't give us enough for the moulding because the quote didn't include it. Anyways, I won't be driving it much, but it's quite unnerving that both sides screwed up. (How much can I drive? The glass was not taken out of my car, only the mouldings) Anyways, does anybody have any information about the fuses for the passenger power seats?

Also, could you reitorate on the subject of the seatback, I am not sure I udnerstand, are you saying I should bend the metal pieces to an inverted position?

Kalevera
10-20-2005, 12:52 AM
I can take a picture if you'd like, but the thing that holds the trim in place is the four clasps.

Usually they get tucked in (towards the fiberboard part of it), so there's no clearance to get the clasp over the edge, or it's bent too far out, so it doesn't hold. I've only had to do this once (bend one of the clasps back in place), so...

best, whit

Joe F
10-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Gents,
A quick update and progress report. We now have new, OEM, windshield installed, Les Schwab was good for the extra $$ to replace the seal that wasn't on the original bid. We got the pass. seatback reconnected, but it appears to need one of the bottom clips. It is nowhere to be found. Also, I found the extra fuses under the backseat and changed out a blown 30A and the pass seat power is restored.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
Joe F :)

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Gents,
A quick update and progress report. We now have new, OEM, windshield installed, Les Schwab was good for the extra $$ to replace the seal that wasn't on the original bid. We got the pass. seatback reconnected, but it appears to need one of the bottom clips. It is nowhere to be found. Also, I found the extra fuses under the backseat and changed out a blown 30A and the pass seat power is restored.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
That great. How much was the windshield, if you don't mind me asking?

uscharalph
10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Gents,
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
Also I would imagine 3 of the 4 bottom bolts holding the rear seat back should be ok as long as the left and right sides are bolted down.

Joe F
10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
That great. How much was the windshield, if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all. The bill was $560. That included two, dealer only,mouldings that they had to replace. They told me the window had been replaced a long time ago, (not with factory glass) and the installer had screwed up those parts and as a result, they were not reusable. Other than that, the job was supposed to cost $320. That included genuine sekurit glass, all seals, clips and labor. I thought it was a very fair price. What do you guys think? Yes???...No???

Thanks again for the assistance,
Cheers,
JF

uscharalph
10-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Not at all. The bill was $560. That included two, dealer only,mouldings that they had to replace. They told me the window had been replaced a long time ago, (not with factory glass) and the installer had screwed up those parts and as a result, they were not reusable. Other than that, the job was supposed to cost $320. That included genuine sekurit glass, all seals, clips and labor. I thought it was a very fair price. What do you guys think? Yes???...No???

Thanks again for the assistance,
Cheers,
JF
Thanks!

ArtemLepilov
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I had mine done by safelite autoglass with sekurit glass and all, moulding was reused but it cost me about ~$235 for the windshield...

Let me know who thinks what about that. (and reusing old mouldings...) My old moulding was a bit cracked here and there.. but overall it was in one piece. Is it alright to use that??

-Artem