PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Dodge Stratus...

Robin-535im
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
It seems to be that time of year again...

Rented a Dodge Stratus in Orlando yesterday. (I looked for you Ryan but didn't see you around :) ).

Driving down Almaya by UCF a kid in front of me braked really hard. He was in a BMW, so he in fact stopped. I was in the dodge... so I in fact skidded and hit him!

Spent an hour in the hot / humid Florida sun with a can of polishing compound just to get the rubber smudges off the bumper. Turned out no damage was done, thankfully, except a few square inches of BMW bumber rubber melted onto the stratus.

Moral: don't get too used to how well your car drives, for you too may be driving a "regular" car and feel the pain.

BTW - $21k for a new stratus. Think of the E34 you could buy for $21k! It amazes me that you can get such an awesome BMW for half the price of a new car, and it handles better, looks better, feels better, etc!

romus
10-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I hear you :)

Many, if not most, people i know think i'm an idiot for buying what i have (89 535i manual). And majority of these people drive new mazda's, camry's and the like. Everyone seems to think that "new" must be better. I see new cars on the side of the road here very often, broken down. I have never seen an E34! Wonder why? Maybe because AU$100.000+ 16 years ago bought a lot of quality that guarantees wonderful motoring experience today still?

I have driven many cars, some much faster accelerating than my 535, but not one felt as solid and as glued to the road as a bmw. Any bmw for that matter. 318i may be underpowered but the beautiful handling is there.

Qube
10-19-2005, 08:45 PM
No kidding. Close the door on this 89 BMW and close the door on a new import. It's like comparing to soda pop cans! In general, it seems German vehicles as a whole have sturdier body builds... late models notwithstanding.

RobPatt
10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
...have been stratus' and both were/are POSs.
Staff car #1 and moms (an '03 and '00 respectivly) gave out on upper control arm bushings before 38K miles.... a right rear caliper freeze, window motors die ( or so stealer says ) check engine lights, etc, etc, grinding upon braking while turning... bad juju. always love driving home from work - the drive to and from are some of the best parts of the day!

DanDombrowski
10-19-2005, 09:21 PM
my sister got her stratus for 14k new

ArtemLepilov
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
my sister got her stratus for 14k new

Think of an E34 you can buy for 14k

:D

HDhandyman
10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
But, excluding the love that I have for my car with no mods, what's so great about the E34? I mean how does it stack up to other bimmers? these are really honest questions, as I don't feel that I've gotten everything out of my car that I can, so, enlighten me!

liquidtiger720
10-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, e34 stacked up against other bimmers...hmm

as far as my experience with bmw's go. the e30 is awsome and is like a go car. e34 is awsome, a little floaty when stock, but... the e34 > 00 e38 (moms) minus the accleration.

I love the e38 for what is is...but compared to my e34, i'll take mine thank you very much. Of course, if the e38 were lowered and bling bling rims...then I may be a little more forgiving to it, but still e34 is awsome...because its not as common (modified and looking good) as many other cars.

ra_pro
10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I recently got a Saab Aero wagon (I couldn't find a good low mileage bmw wagon). When I took it for a test drive I stopped in the middle of the intersection on red light because I assumed the car would brake as well as by bimmer and, of course, it didn't. Fortunately no harm done but lesson learnt.

romus
10-20-2005, 09:46 AM
happened to me a few times when i borrowed cars...the NEW cars! :)