PDA

View Full Version : 1991 M5 deal

kyleN20
10-19-2005, 04:00 PM
saw this on roadfly, and im thinking about it, no rust, GA car, small 2in crease on the boot lid. its 7 grand, but it has some miles, anyone wanna throw in there opinion, let me know.

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
saw this on roadfly, and im thinking about it, no rust, GA car, small 2in crease on the boot lid. its 7 grand, but it has some miles, anyone wanna throw in there opinion, let me know.
That car has a member here.

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Maybe it's not the car I was thinking about, but I know I just saw those pictures in the past day or so.

onewhippedpuppy
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Link to pics?

kyleN20
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
posted? like this is a fake add or somthing>?

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 04:23 PM
posted? like this is a fake add or somthing>?
I don't think it's fake. I'll try and find it later tonight.

ArtemLepilov
10-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't think it's fake. I'll try and find it later tonight.

Cmoon... soo easy to put a link in :-P

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=33726&sortby=_PRICE&dir=ASC

Looks amazing, I would go for it if i had the money... Meaning - $7000 to get the car and about $3000 to make it perfect, rebuild engine, etc... (Also I would try to talk him down... mor money for the repairs;))

The ad said it had an accident before, and the wheels are straight, but they can still be misaligned (like on my 525I that i got that had an accident happen to it.) If you are tempted, check it out and see if everything in the interior is straight and the seats fit fine... if they dont then it is probably going to be out of a perfect alignment. Naturally it is all up to you, so decide whether you want to do that or not. Also - if an engine eats oil it will most likely need a rebuild in the future (unless its a rotary engine :p).

*Note if the accident has to be mentioned then the car has a rebuilt title most likely.

-Artem

Robin-535im
10-19-2005, 05:08 PM
$3000 to make it perfect, rebuild engine, etc...

I think the head gasket alone is like $3000. :)

Mendozart
10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Robin's right. Maintenance and fixes are alot more expensive on this car. $7000 is pretty low, so expect to probably sink in quite a bit more

Derek A.
10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
If your interested - have an independent shop scope it out first. Those are awesome - but the $$$ rises quickly.

willobmw
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Kyle,
Try to find a copy of the November Bimmer Magazine.( Sorry to write this, if you already have it) An excellent E34 buyer's guide article. To quote a few excerpts: "Do not neglect an S38 because a rebuild will easily exceed $10,000.00. This is precisely why there are so many "good deals" on M E34 M5s. "We found only five examples on Roadfly,one of which, a 91 M5 we'd eliminate at the outset because of its high mileage (157,000) unless its owner had the receipts for a rebuild by a reputable technician".
Always try to buy the best car that you can afford to spend upfront. These cars speed rush alone will win your heart like Pamela Anderson. But just like her, It equals HIGH maintenance. With 176,000 miles, I would think you would be asking for trouble unless you have a good relationship with your bank.
A good place to me has always been the Roundel for limited production BMWs. The owners tend to maintain the cars alot better and they are usually alot more honest. Although not "Fool Proof", but still a good place to start.
You already know what it takes to properly maintain the 535i. Just think about adding a few more zeros to your bill for the M5.
Just my 02 cents worth,
Willobmw
1990 535i
1981 528i
1975 2002

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Cmoon... soo easy to put a link in :-P

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=33726&sortby=_PRICE&dir=ASC

Looks amazing, I would go for it if i had the money... Meaning - $7000 to get the car and about $3000 to make it perfect, rebuild engine, etc... (Also I would try to talk him down... mor money for the repairs;))

The ad said it had an accident before, and the wheels are straight, but they can still be misaligned (like on my 525I that i got that had an accident happen to it.) If you are tempted, check it out and see if everything in the interior is straight and the seats fit fine... if they dont then it is probably going to be out of a perfect alignment. Naturally it is all up to you, so decide whether you want to do that or not. Also - if an engine eats oil it will most likely need a rebuild in the future (unless its a rotary engine :p).

*Note if the accident has to be mentioned then the car has a rebuilt title most likely.

-Artem
I know how to post a link! I was just busy and couldn't find it.

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 08:32 PM
That's where I got confused. Kyle has these pictures posted on his own yahoo page along with that prom picture of him & the Porsche Cayenne: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kylen201/detail?.dir=b173&.dnm=b8fd.jpg&.src=ph

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
That's where I got confused. Kyle has these pictures posted on his own yahoo page along with that prom picture of him & the Porsche Cayenne: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kylen201/detail?.dir=b173&.dnm=b8fd.jpg&.src=ph
The other pictures are of a car you are interested in Kyle or do you own it?

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 08:57 PM
The car is a turd -- two open recalls. Who doesn't take their car in for free service?!

That also means that whoever did the repair work, it wasn't a dealership. That doesn't really say much about the quality, but it's something to think about. I'd be running the second I saw a Napa Gold or a Fram on it.

That, and it actually came from Missouri.

Best, whit