PDA

View Full Version : battery tray?

bfd
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a 1990 E34 535i, 5 speed with 102K miles on it. In 7/04, I replaced my 9-year old Diehard with one from Kragen (Checkers to you guys on the East Coast). Last week the battery died. It was replaced under the pro-rata warranty as the battery wouldn't hold a charge.

However, what was disturbing was the battery appeared to leak out that white battery acid powder on the inside on my car. Its not clear whether battery fluid leaked out or that the air molecules from the battery, that's what the counter guy said, caused the powder to form. In any event, I cleaned it up with baking soda and although it removed some of the paint it doesn't appear that it did any other damage.

My concern is that if this new battery leaks, and if left unchecked, the acid whether liquid or powder will eat through the metal.

Does anyone know of a battery tray available for this battery? It would need to be pretty large as the battery measured about 6 and 3/4" wide and 13 3/4 long or 175mm wide x 345mm long.

I guess it doesn't even have to be a specific automobile item. Maybe a plastic "Tuperware" type container would work too. Thanks!

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 02:52 PM
I have a 1990 E34 535i, 5 speed with 102K miles on it. In 7/04, I replaced my 9-year old Diehard with one from Kragen (Checkers to you guys on the East Coast). Last week the battery died. It was replaced under the pro-rata warranty as the battery wouldn't hold a charge.

However, what was disturbing was the battery appeared to leak out that white battery acid powder on the inside on my car. Its not clear whether battery fluid leaked out or that the air molecules from the battery, that's what the counter guy said, caused the powder to form. In any event, I cleaned it up with baking soda and although it removed some of the paint it doesn't appear that it did any other damage.

My concern is that if this new battery leaks, and if left unchecked, the acid whether liquid or powder will eat through the metal.

Does anyone know of a battery tray available for this battery? It would need to be pretty large as the battery measured about 6 and 3/4" wide and 13 3/4 long or 175mm wide x 345mm long.

I guess it doesn't even have to be a specific automobile item. Maybe a plastic "Tuperware" type container would work too. Thanks!
Is your battery under the rear seat or in the engine bay? Mine is in the engine bay and I have a battery tray.

bfd
10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Is your battery under the rear seat or in the engine bay? Mine is in the engine bay and I have a battery tray.

Battery on my 535i is under the rear seat and sits on the metal flooring.

If you're battery is in the engine bay, that probably means you have a 525i. Does it take the same battery as a 535i? If so, that's what I probably need.

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Battery on my 535i is under the rear seat and sits on the metal flooring.

If you're battery is in the engine bay, that probably means you have a 525i. Does it take the same battery as a 535i? If so, that's what I probably need.
It looks like there is a battery tray in some 535's?? I was checking it out on www.realoem.com, but I couldn't come up with a part number. Maybe you could call Patrick or Yves at BMA.

hauler_525iT
10-19-2005, 05:09 PM
What's the reason for putting a battery under the rear seat???

Are there other cars like this?

Qsilver7
10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
What's the reason for putting a battery under the rear seat???

Are there other cars like this?
weight distribution, protection from elements, and theft.

Hopefully your Kragen battery has a vent hole so that you can vent the off gasses from the battery to the exterior.

You probably can pick up a battery mat from any major Auto parts store...heck, WalMart probably even sells them! :D

You can see the empty space for the battery in the image below...just buy a battery mat and sit it under the battery...and don't forget to VENT the battery:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_79_full.jpg

Here's my $69.99 Duralast 49 DL (AutoZone) I just installed Labor Day weekend (9/2005)...I made sure I VENTED my battery:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_84_full.jpg

I just went to www.bavauto.com and typed in info for a 1993 535i...then put battery mat into the search box and found 2 battery mat sizes...8"x20" and 8"x12"...click on the attached pics below.

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Q pretty much covered it, but I'm wondering if the battery was vented to begin with? I have no experience with Kragens, although I've dealt with the cheapest of the cheap.

Although we usually disconnect them, we leave batteries sitting in cars for extended periods of time and I've never seen an under-the-seat leak...although I know it can happen. Use the felt corrosion resisting rings to help keep the battery terminals in good shape.

We use (and I've been installing) Interstate at work, but my car has a 1 year old 49D in it, and I find it to be an excellent battery.

The only E34s with the battery in the engine compartment were the M20 525s. Everything else is under the rear seat. BMW started putting batteries in other compartments with the E30 325i cars (trunk) sometime mid/late '80s, for all of the reasons that Q listed (and they make a lot of sense).

best, whit

shogun
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
on my E32 750iL Highline. There are 2 alternators and 2 batteries in the Highline because of the many gimmicks in the car. One under rear seat, the other one 25aH in the trunk. The OEM BMW batterie costs a fortune. Some use motor bike batteries, I biught a main battery :p
for a 650 cc japanese mini car. Made the de-airation system by visiting the local fish+accessory shop and bought some tubing and plastic connectors for a fish tank, drilled holes in the caps of the cells and that is the final 'state of the art' :D
Cost me less than one third of a OEM battery
http://members.roadfly.com/hairwithit/0723highlinebattery1.JPG

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
;) slick.

Too bad I don't have a european, actually serviceable battery. :(

best, whit

bfd
10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
lowell asks:

<I'm wondering if the battery was vented to begin with?>

Yes, like Q's first picture, I used the vent hose on the right side (side closest to positive terminal) and pluged it into the battery. In fact, I notice that the Kragen battery came with 2 vent plugs on the battery. I didn't do anything with the left side vent plug.

Thanks to Q, I go get a battery mat.

As for hauler's question:

<What's the reason for putting a battery under the rear seat???

Are there other cars like this?>

Main purpose for putting battery under the seat is weight distribution. Batteries aren't light. Good way to get 50/50 balance for the car.

For the E34, both the 535i and M5 have their battery under the rear seat. I'm not sure about the E34 530i and 540i, but I suspect they do too.

Torque
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
The only E34s with the battery in the engine compartment were the M20 525s. Everything else is under the rear seat. BMW started putting batteries in other compartments with the E30 325i cars (trunk) sometime mid/late '80s, for all of the reasons that Q listed (and they make a lot of sense).

best, whitHm, we have a m50 525 and the battery is under the hood ... 9/90 (techically 91) ..

BobHarris
10-21-2005, 01:01 PM
The only E34s with the battery in the engine compartment were the M20 525s. Everything else is under the rear seat.

I know you didn't get them over there, but the 518 has the battery under the bonnet as well.

All the best

Bob