PDA

View Full Version : Anyone selling Lowering Springs?

The Melmaan
10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I have search high and low for lowering springs for my E34. The lowest that I found was from Bavarian Auto, but alot of you guys said to stay away from this because it bottoms out on bumps. The rest of them are way over $300. The other is I just have some folks replaced my struts lately and I saw how difficult it will be to remove the springs with out the proper spring compressor. The original spring tends to be crooked with respect to the struts if the manual spring compresor is used. The tech had a hard time (3.5 hours) to R & R the front end struts (although paid just $120.00). Bottom line is next time around I will probably pay mega bucks to replace the strings so total I'm looking at about $800.00 when done to lower the car by 1.25" and that is only the front end. Am I right?

uscharalph
10-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Check out the Sachs kit at BMA. I believe is about $690.00 shipped. Do a search on this forum for other people's opinion on this setup.

Sach kits from BMA: $640.00
Part # - 118-136 - Fits - 93-95 525 - Lowers Front - 1.8 inches/45 mm Lowers Rear 1.0 inches/25 mm
Part # 118-069 - Fits all other E34 cars - Lowers Front - 1.8 inches/45 mm Lowers Rear 1.0 inches/25 mm

I believe that is an old price

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 12:25 AM
BMW sells a $2500 shop spring compressor that I'm told does the job in a snap. Most of the commonly found commercial compressors were usually intended for domestics, which have different spring geometries. The really fun one is the oblonged shaped stupidness of a footprint found on the E39 front springs -- I spent 3 hours setting two springs on a 528iT two weeks ago. The E39 is just a pain in the ass to work on. But I digress...

I've found the rental compressor at Autozone to be quite good. No hassles, and very easy with an impact wrench.

Frankly, it might've been smarter to think about lowering the car before replacing the strut inserts and shocks. If they used the OEM Boge Automatics, which they invariably did if they're a "quality" parts-changing-type establishment, adding lowering springs will wear them out faster and potentally be dangerous (depending on the spring). The strut/shock is valved for a certain size spring; perhaps a rare occurence, there exists the possibility of the spring jumping the perch. There's a lot more to say on the subject, but it's already been said by various people...

best, whit

Incantation
10-19-2005, 01:03 AM
sachs sporting
640 US shipped
mentioned on bmwe34.net

website is something like bmaautoparts.com

brodee
10-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Vogtland springs are only $225 shipped for the set of 4

Steve N
10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I am in the same boat. I have a '93 touring and want to lower only the front. I can't buy only a front set of springs new. If anyone has a set of used M5 springs to sell let me know.

Vogtland springs are only $225 shipped for the set of 4