PDA

View Full Version : F- Your AUDI S4!!!

Jon K
10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
http://e34.digital7.com/SuperchargerSetup/boot.jpg

Yeah so when building the intake track for my supercharger (charged air from blower to the throttle body..) i used an Audi S4 biturbo upper intake boot. Reason being that it was molded the shape I needed, it had a built in integrated diverter valve vein and was reinforced.

All is true, EXCEPT, it's NOT reinforced silicone. It's shitty rubber. The Biturbos are making like 8psi stock between two turbos... I guess the load isn't as great as 9 psi supercharged. The hose burst right at the joint. I coated it in silicone so i could limp it back to school sunday night. It got me to school (huge huge huge vacuum adn boost leak). Threw CEL (maf sensor misread, 1215) all the way out, got like 8mpg for 60 miles because of this damned boot. So yeah, that's right, F- You AUDI S4!

I made a new one out of MIG welded steel. I will post pics tomorrow. Works much better, and MUCH stronger!

http://e34.digital7.com/SuperchargerSetup/boot2.jpg

ArtemLepilov
10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Damn, i wonder what BMW would have used in a situation like that, but then again - naturally aspirated engines... no forced induction :)

infinity5
10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I can't wait to see the steel one. Good job flipping off the boot, by the way :)

zygoteer
10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Obvious difference to me is that it was designed to be 'sucked through' on a bi-turbo ... your words read as if you are using it to 'blow through' with a super .. so failure probably predictable ?

Jon K
10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Obvious difference to me is that it was designed to be 'sucked through' on a bi-turbo ... your words read as if you are using it to 'blow through' with a super .. so failure probably predictable ?

... no. Its a boost tube on both my car and an S4. Hence the diverter valve output.

onewhippedpuppy
10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Seems like I remember from my Audi days that that's one of the first things they change out, I guess you know why. I think there's far better aftermarket ones.

Jon K
10-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, they're $129 for just that hose from Samco, the full kit is over $400

632 Regal
10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Never saw red spooge like that...you been eating a lot of beets or something?

genphreak
10-18-2005, 10:02 PM
9psi isn't much for a rubber hose.

Was it second-hand? Given that it failed at the clamp-zone, it could have blown due to heat/age or more likely a pre-existing injury (being pulled off at a wrecker).

Alternatively, your charger might create larger peak pressures than the stock A4 setup. These wouldn't be necessarily reported on your gauge... I imagine it irons out the shorter peaks efficiently.

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Oh well, you'll be much better off with your newer, stronger part.

zuzuk212
10-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Yep ... right there with ya! My girlfriend has an a4 ... peice of crap, the water pump died right at 50k, it has some electrical gremlins and other build and design issues but the real killer is it is a bitch to work on! I've heard from other mechanics that the new ones are garbage. So, yeah ... new vw's and audi's are German for crap.

Ken