PDA

View Full Version : New wheel project

Maximabello
10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Picked up a second set of style 5's. Plan is to take apart and polish the lip, maybe a center color change.
Got the clear off last night with a nasty chemical (airplane paint remover), pretty easy so far though. Start sanding soon..

uscharalph
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Picked up a second set of style 5's. Plan is to take apart and polish the lip, maybe a center color change.
Got the clear off last night with a nasty chemical (airplane paint remover), pretty easy so far though. Start sanding soon..
Very cool. Where'd you get them and how much? What size are they? I'd love to find some 17" Style 5's (Staggered 8 - 8 1/2 in the front and 8 1/2 - 9 in the rear).

Derek A.
10-18-2005, 02:39 PM
What are you plans for the originals :)

NielsGalan
10-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Looking good!

I have the same rims and I'm considering giving them a touch up as well. I have been told, that it is "impossible" to cure the kerb rash, as the finish is clear coated polished aluminum. The alternative was to paint them "silver" instead. True?

Also, are the 5 million nuts replaceable? Mine are looking a bit rusty ...

Maximabello
10-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Very cool. Where'd you get them and how much? What size are they? I'd love to find some 17" Style 5's (Staggered 8 - 8 1/2 in the front and 8 1/2 - 9 in the rear).
Got them off craiglist, local guy had them on his e39 540/6. The condition isn't so hot so I got a good deal.

What are you plans for the originals

Not sure yet, probably end up selling one of the two sets. We'll see how long this takes.

Looking good!

I have the same rims and I'm considering giving them a touch up as well. I have been told, that it is "impossible" to cure the kerb rash, as the finish is clear coated polished aluminum. The alternative was to paint them "silver" instead. True?

Also, are the 5 million nuts replaceable? Mine are looking a bit rusty ....

Not sure about the rash yet, the clear coat is totally off that first wheel now. I may take it to a shop for an opinion. I imagine it would be very hard to fix the rash without removing the clearcoat?

I will be re-using the bolts, they are pretty hard to find.

Martin in Bellevue
10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Interesting project, Erik. Please don't let Jeff talk you into flipping the rims around for that extra deep dish look. Are there any plans to powdercoat the centers?

Maximabello
10-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Interesting project, Erik. Please don't let Jeff talk you into flipping the rims around for that extra deep dish look. Are there any plans to powdercoat the centers?

But Jeff said it would handle better?

Thought about powdercoating if I change the color, although can't decide which color. Thought about nogalo silver, roomate suggested bronze, even black/gunmetal may look good. I just don't want the wheel to look smaller, which it will if darker. The centers are in decent shape now.

RobPatt
10-18-2005, 06:37 PM
...think it was posted else linked from bimmer.info previously..
cheers,

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14630&goto=nextoldest

man, happiness is 2 sets of style 5's
double your pleasure, double your fun.

Maximabello
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
...think it was posted else linked from bimmer.info previously..
cheers,

Thanks!-I have been following that thread.

After 2.5hrs of sanding last night the rash is almost gone, starting to look pretty good.

Any opinions on center colors? If I change..

uscharalph
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM

After 2.5hrs of sanding last night the rash is almost gone, starting to look pretty good.

I wonder what black or charcoal would look like with your white BMW?

TheDuke
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Best of luck, looking foward to see them fiinshed. You always can coat them with wheel finishing paint.

TheDuke
10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Looking good!

Also, are the 5 million nuts replaceable? Mine are looking a bit rusty ...
You can always try sanding down the scratches, if they aren’t that deep. But you have to be careful with doing that. It might mineralize the size of a curb rush. Fixed my right wheel recently, and it doesn’t look too bad.

Maximabello
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Would this color gold/bronze look funny? Might look kind of old school, which could be good.

Derek A.
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Would this color gold/bronze look funny? Might look kind of old school, which could be good.
Here is my e34 with gold BBS wheels on it (didn't care for it)
http://www.opus45.com/pics/e34_gold.JPG

I changed them over to silver
http://www.opus45.com/pics/e34_side2.jpg

mikemaster
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I recently finished up the same project on some style 19's. I probably had 40 hours in them, between sanding and polishing and the ceramic sealant, and reassembly. Getting the bolts back in sucks, but they look great now and they all balanced out perfectly with just a few weights. If I had it to do over I'd probably get them refinished at a shop, but it was a fun project.

e34bmw_a33max
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
you have to do them black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/drugstorecreep/black.gif

Maximabello
10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Here is my e34 with gold BBS wheels on it (didn't care for it)

Yeah, I agree. maybe dark bronze

I recently finished up the same project on some style 19's. I probably had 40 hours in them,

I believe it! Sanding takes for ever. Did you change colors?

you have to do them black.

Maybe, I don't want the wheel to look smaller, That pic does look good though. I need to play with PS with a pic of the whole car

Robin-535im
10-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Smoky silver is nice... doesn't show the brake dust as much!

saj3n
10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I got mine off craigslist too.. :-D $250... great condition actually... :-D Might be looking into selling sometime soon...

Maximabello
10-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Smoky silver is nice... doesn't show the brake dust as much!

Like this? Nogaro silver