PDA

View Full Version : Driving in 3rd (automatic)

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
OK, so when it is appropriate for me to use the 3rd gear setting? How come my car stalls out, after I drive in 3rd and then switch back to (D)rive---in a stopped position of course. Can I start the car from the 3rd gear position--what is sporty driving?--thanks for the input.

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
is this a stupid question or something?

uscharalph
10-18-2005, 11:03 AM
OK, so when it is appropriate for me to use the 3rd gear setting? How come my car stalls out, after I drive in 3rd and then switch back to (D)rive---in a stopped position of course. Can I start the car from the 3rd gear position--what is sporty driving?--thanks for the input.
I drive around the city in 3rd. Your car stalls? Mine doesn't.

And no you can't start the car in 3rd (Only P or N)

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I drive around the city in 3rd. Your car stalls? Mine doesn't.

And no you can't start tyhe car in 3rd (Only D or N)

My car only stalls ( or stutters like something is wrong with trans,) after I drive in third, then stop and shift to drive, this occurs--maybe I'm not supposed to do this?--I don't know enough about it.

Please be more specific about how you engage third (when what milage--how, etc.) if you have to start the car in drive---thanks--Stephen

Qube
10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I was under the impression you would keep it in D regardless... go to 3 or lower only if you're towing or otherwise going to lug the engine... or engine braking down a hill. Sport mode should only affect the shift points.

Dr. evil
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I,m Pretty sure that you soulden't be able to start your car in the drive or 3'rd position.

Mendozart
10-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Are you sure you have the switch on automatic and not on manual?

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Listen guys--I'm well aware that you don't start the car in drive--you start in park. I'm talking about start up driving. The manual says that if you want more out of your car (perforance wise) use 3. this setting is reffered to as sport. How do I use this--can I go from a stopped position in this gear?--is it good for something?--this has nothing to do with manual or economy setting --unless i have to switch to manual to use it, but I tried it today from a stopped position without switching to manual and it worked great--drove much nicer-except that after coming to a stop, I returned the car to D and car stuttered, stalled, etc.--Did I do something wrong? After that I restarted the car and everything in D was great.--thanks for the replies--Again I'm trying to learn to use 3--if you know something about it, please let me know.

liquidtiger720
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Well, lets see.

If you want sports mode, you want your car in S-3....which means....leave the economy option on...but shift to #3 instead of D...where you would normally be. It sounds like you are switching to manual mode and driving around in #3...which is not what you want to do.

BTW: i use s-3 for spirited drives and....when i just want to hear the car sing.

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
NO, I didn't--but that's what everybody seems to think. --I said that I stall (stutter) after switching back to D in a stopped position, and then driving again, without restarting the car. Is there anybody here who knows anything about this?

P.S.--can I use this setting all the time--does it put wear on the car--use more gas--etc.?

Torque
10-18-2005, 12:48 PM
You sound frustrated. Nobody pays us to get you the right answer. If you're gonna have that kind of attitude, you're only gonna make people not want to answer even if they know.

And no, I do not know the answer to your question.

George Davis
10-18-2005, 03:36 PM
In my car, and I assume yours, putting the shifter into 3, 2 or 1 engages Sport mode. In 3 or 2 the car will start out in first gear and shift up sequentially to the gear you've selected, but the upshifts will occur at higher rpm, giving increased acceleration performance. You can drive this way as much as you like, the only penalties are possibly slightly increased wear and lower fuel economy.

In Manual mode, using the switch next to the shifter, with the shifter in 1, 2 or 3, the car will ONLY use the selected gear. If you select 3, it will start in 3rd and stay in 3rd. Same with 2 or (obviously) 1. It treats D or 4 the same as 3, starts and stays in 3rd.

As to the stumbling and stalling when you shift from 3 to D, a guess is that you're overshooting a bit and hitting the neutral contacts, and perhaps the engine control system briefly goes into unloaded neutral-idle mode even though the transmission is still in gear and loading the engine, causing stumble/stall. That's just a very wild guess, it may not work that way at all. Maybe try shifting from 3 to D very carefully so as not to overshoot into neutral at all and see how it behaves.

632 Regal
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
you dont want to use the manual mode at all. I use "D" for everything unless i want to shift at a higher speed without mashing the peddle to the floor, which is the way I do it if I need to keep some jerk from cutting infront of me from the wrong lane in a merge section of road.

Listen to George about the over shooting, the car should not stall what so ever even if in manual mode, something electrical is at fault.

Why would you want to drive around in 3rd all the time anyway?

HDhandyman
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
In my car, and I assume yours, putting the shifter into 3, 2 or 1 engages Sport mode. In 3 or 2 the car will start out in first gear and shift up sequentially to the gear you've selected, but the upshifts will occur at higher rpm, giving increased acceleration performance. You can drive this way as much as you like, the only penalties are possibly slightly increased wear and lower fuel economy.

In Manual mode, using the switch next to the shifter, with the shifter in 1, 2 or 3, the car will ONLY use the selected gear. If you select 3, it will start in 3rd and stay in 3rd. Same with 2 or (obviously) 1. It treats D or 4 the same as 3, starts and stays in 3rd.

As to the stumbling and stalling when you shift from 3 to D, a guess is that you're overshooting a bit and hitting the neutral contacts, and perhaps the engine control system briefly goes into unloaded neutral-idle mode even though the transmission is still in gear and loading the engine, causing stumble/stall. That's just a very wild guess, it may not work that way at all. Maybe try shifting from 3 to D very carefully so as not to overshoot into neutral at all and see how it behaves.

George, that is quite possibly the most perfect answer in the world. Thank very much for answering my question. It's the perfect end to a long day of searching for answers!